• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals almost guaranteed to get 3rd Round Comp Pick

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With Jonathan Joseph's selection to the Pro Bowl the Bengals are now almost guaranteed to get an extra 3rd Round pick as compensation giving them 5 picks (two 1st, 2nd and two 3rd Round picks) in the top 100 selections. Through in an extra 5th Round pick for Ochocinco an the Bengals own the 2012 Draft.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
good call august, 5 of the top 100, 8 of the top 160 players picked, thats a nice haul

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TALK ABOUT THE BENGALS AND THIS SEASON FOR FUCKING ONCE, PLEASE.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Reedy already covered this awhile ago. He spoke to some people that are in the NFL and work on these types of picks, and said that the Bengals will not get a 3rd rounder for JJ. I believe the reason being is that the Bengals brought in a ton of Free Agents that have done enough to counter balance the higher pick they would have gotten from JJ's departure.

He said a 4th or 5th rounder is more likely due to the F/A pickups.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Joe Reedy already covered this awhile ago. He spoke to some people that are in the NFL and work on these types of picks, and said that the Bengals will not get a 3rd rounder for JJ. I believe the reason being is that the Bengals brought in a ton of Free Agents that have done enough to counter balance the higher pick they would have gotten from JJ's departure.

He said a 4th or 5th rounder is more likely due to the F/A pickups.

this from Reedy on 10/19/11 :yo:

Random thoughts: Post-Palmer trade edition | Bengals Blog

*Considering the number of draft picks, it is fair to make some comparisons to the Cowboys-Vikings deal. The Raiders are in it now to win it the next couple years (like the Vikings were) and now the Bengals potentially have nine draft picks in the first three rounds the next two years. In 2012 they could have two firsts, one second and two thirds (the second being a compensatory pick for losing Johnathan Joseph to free agency) and in 2013 it is a first, two seconds and a third.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*Considering the number of draft picks, it is fair to make some comparisons to the Cowboys-Vikings deal. The Raiders are in it now to win it the next couple years (like the Vikings were) and now the Bengals potentially have nine draft picks in the first three rounds the next two years. In 2012 they could have two firsts, one second and two thirds (the second being a compensatory pick for losing Johnathan Joseph to free agency) and in 2013 it is a first, two seconds and a third.

Yeah, I remember that too, and he tweeted later that he got the info and that the Bengals wouldn't get a 3rd round pick like he had originall thought. I'm sure I could go back through his tweets and find it, but frankly, I don't care enough to do that.

We'll get something, but it won't be as much as I think everyone else thinks it will be. Losing any of the guys we picked up this year will not affect the 2012 draft, but the 2013 draft, so losing any of those guys is kind of a moot point for this discussion.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, since the Bengals can't attract established players, the only way we can fix this mess is through the draft. I guess things are looking up the only way they can look up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, since the Bengals can't attract established players, the only way we can fix this mess is through the draft. I guess things are looking up the only way they can look up.

Agreed with the draft picks and drafting...though..

Clements was a solid pickup. Had Hall not gone down, this defense would be a lot better. No question. Not saying that Clements is great, but he's been servicable.

Same with Howard and Lawson. Howard has been a very nice surprise pickup and Lawson has been solid. The play of the LB corps this year has been worlds better than it has been in a long, long time. Keith who?

The key will be to fill the voids that are needed as best they can through F/A as the Bengals are going to have a fair amount of cap space thanks to palmer being traded. A veteran Safety that can cover whould be ideal as well as a veteran Guard. Granted, those can be filled in the draft, but I think it would be best to fill the really big holes with veteran guys, if at all possible.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Secondary has to be addressed in both the draft and free agency.

We know that it is a less than stellar group to begin with but you have:

- Hall coming back from an torn achilles

- Reggie Nelson Free Agent

- Kelly Jennings Free Agent

- Adam Jones Free Agent

- Gibril Wilson Free Agent

- Brandon Ghee Free Agent (probably...he was cut and resigned to the practice squad, voiding his original rookie deal in '10. Length of current contract is "unknown" but I would assume it was a one year deal)

That leaves us with a group consisting of:

CB - Hall, Clements

S - Crocker, Mays, Jeromy Miles (exclusive rights Free Agent), Robert Sands

That's bare bones. Granted; if they really wanted they could easily bring back guys like Wilson, Ghee, etc. but they still need upgrades to what they currently have.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of those, I would see the Bengals making a run to retain both Nelson, Miles and Jones.

The rest can be replaced by younger, cheaper, better players.

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Dont you know by now that there certain people on these boards that will take the contrarian position no matter what I post. If we got a 3rd Round pick for Eric Steinbach, which turned out to be Andre Caldwell, I have no doubt that we'll also get one for losing Joseph as well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont you know by now that there certain people on these boards that will take the contrarian position no matter what I post. If we got a 3rd Round pick for Eric Steinbach, which turned out to be Andre Caldwell, I have no doubt that we'll also get one for losing Joseph as well.

Don't you know that it's a whole lot more than just WHO you lose?

reedy retracted his statement later on via Twitter. If you feel like it, go find it. It's there. He contacted someone "in the know" and they told him that it was unlikely that the Bengals would receive a 3rd round pick due to the additional F/A signings they had.

Don't shoot me...I'm just telling you what's out there.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to get a third. And I have no idea how it really works. I simply made a post saying that our beat writer - A guy that gets paid to report on the team - said it's unlikely.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As in the other thread.

I just had Reedy verify what he said previously on twitter. If you go look up his handle or mine "@Cincyfan78" you'll see that he spoke to someone that says the Bengals would not be getting a 3rd round comp for losing JJ.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is based on the number or players, 1st and foremost.

So if we lost 4 pro-bowlers, but signed 4 average players to replace them, we would get 4 7th round picks because we replaced our 4 players through FA, even if they were not the same quality. They first go by number lost, and if it is equal to the number picked up in FA, then they determine if those players we lost were better than the ones we picked up, if so, we get an automatic 7th. Now if we lost 4, and picked up only 3, and that one player we could not replace was Joseph, we would be in line for a 3rd rounder because he made the pro-bowl, and we could not replace him through FA.

We were actually very active in FA this last year even if no one was a pro-bowler.

We will get a 7th rounder for Joseph, but no one else.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should just get Reedy to hang out on the SportsHoopla..... We can hook him up with June Chaney.