• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals 40/1 to win next year's Superbowl...

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...according to Vegasinsider.com

If it wasn't for Marvin Lewis being the head coach, this wouldn't be a bad value bet. I would drop a couple hundred on it. The Bengals are on an upswing while the Ravens and Steelers seem to be tailing off and the Browns are pretty much stagnant as usual. They just got their asses handed to them in the playoffs, so that is out of the way. Young, battle tested talent with opportunity to get more young talent in the draft. If it wasn't for Marvin's montra of playing not to lose, the odds would be good enough to take a shot. But with Marvin, no way do I put hard earned money on this team to win anything.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"The Bengals are on an upswing while the Ravens and Steelers seem to be tailing off"

The Ravens were about as close to a SB berth as possible (Lee Evans, missed FG etc) without actually making it, while the Steelers went 12-4 and beat the Bengals by four tds the last time they played..

I agree the Bengals are an interesting dark horse though

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Natural odds are 31/1, so I don't think 40/1 is any great overlay....when you take the Bengals' overall history into account, I might start getting interested at, say, 200/1.....

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just mean that the Ravens and Steelers are both getting older and the Steelers are looking to have to cut a lot of cap space. I wasn't trying to say they are both headed to the basement, just that they are on the downswing of their cycle, which should open a window of a year or two for the Bengals' young talent to take over the division.

You know, assuming they had good coaches and a well run front office.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just mean that the Ravens and Steelers are both getting older and the Steelers are looking to have to cut a lot of cap space. I wasn't trying to say they are both headed to the basement, just that they are on the downswing of their cycle, which should open a window of a year or two for the Bengals' young talent to take over the division.

You know, assuming they had good coaches and a well run front office.

I see your prespective, but I feel like we've been waiting for their downturn for yrs (particularly with the Ravens D) and it never happens. The Ravens were virtually in the SB, and the Steelers were 12-4 in the regular season (their losses were against SF on the road, Hou on the road while they still had Schaub, and the Ravens twice)..

I don't see a downturn as of yet

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every season we hear that the Ravens are getting older and every season they are still very good on defense. They've done a good job replacing guys through the years and their defense will still be great for years to come. It's no longer Ray and Ed that make the D tick -- It's now Ngata and Suggs. If they could get consistent play out of their quarterback or alternatively fire their offensive coordinator, I think they'd be the favorite in the AFC.

You might be right about the Steelers. They've been good for so long and it might finally be time to rebuild that D. But they do have some amazing talent at receiver and Big Ben still has a lot of good football left.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May as well make it 1000:1. Not a chance in hell the Bengals win the Superbowl. I'd be shocked if they made the playoffs.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
eh I really hate taking up for the Steelers, but they were ranked #1 in points and yds on defense this yr. the Tebow game was more or less a fluke against a gimmick offense imo..

I wouldn't be suprised if their offense is better with Haley too

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haley is high risk/high reward..... He has trouble getting along with others and could be a potential cancer. Add that to the fact that Ben is already pissy about losing Arians and it could be a rough relationship. On the other hand, he has had some success with coaching offense and he definitely has some nice talent to work with.