• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Belt was promoted to AAA

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the update gp. I'll try and check this kid out live down here and see how he looks. If I'm able to see him, I'll report back to you guys.

This kid seems to be having a Sandoval-esque rise through the ranks.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks for the update gp. I'll try and check this kid out live down here and see how he looks. If I'm able to see him, I'll report back to you guys.

I was just going to post that you should scout him for us. That would be cool. I guess they've been playing him in leftfield. I wonder what that is about? Getting him prepped for a September 1 call up?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say it is greater than Panda. Panda had been in the org for a few years and had a decent year the season before his meteoric rise. Belt is doing this in his first year in the org and did not show this kind of potential before hand...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going to post that you should scout him for us. That would be cool. I guess they've been playing him in leftfield. I wonder what that is about? Getting him prepped for a September 1 call up?

I have no prob with them giving him experience at other positions, but most reports say that he has +++ defense at 1B with a weak(ish) arm. Why move him?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have no prob with them giving him experience at other positions, but most reports say that he has +++ defense at 1B with a weak(ish) arm. Why move him?

I'm sure there's some logic to it, but there's just too many unknowns to do much more than make a note of it.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll see if I can talk the wife into a Thirsty Thursday night game ($1 beers :D). I wish Coach Crusher would start posting on the other board to get him over here and help out as well, but I haven't seen him so I haven't invited him.

I read an article that he was maybe being showcased out in Left Field for a possible trade (pre-deadline), but I'm not sure how much merit there was to that. Otherwise I agree with Caltrarian (;)), he seems to be much better suited for 1st.

It's a good guess though gp, if Whiteside has to catch a game for Sanchez or they want to give Buster a rest from the crouch, Belt would be third (possibly 4th.....poor Ishi) on the depth chart at best at 1st.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it is greater than Panda. Panda had been in the org for a few years and had a decent year the season before his meteoric rise. Belt is doing this in his first year in the org and did not show this kind of potential before hand...

Once again, I can't remember where I read it Cal, but some article was saying something (forgive my memory) about him being a converted pitcher because he wanted to work on his hitting. I think if I recall correctly anyway that it wasn't as much of a case of him being a late bloomer as much as him honing his craft much later than others. I could be wrong though. I can't remember where I read the article.....supposedly the kid is 6'5" though, because he looks like me, a skinny guy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, I can't remember where I read it Cal, but some article was saying something (forgive my memory) about him being a converted pitcher because he wanted to work on his hitting. I think if I recall correctly anyway that it wasn't as much of a case of him being a late bloomer as much as him honing his craft much later than others. I could be wrong though. I can't remember where I read the article.....supposedly the kid is 6'5" though, because he looks like me, a skinny guy.

I believe that the Giants completely re-worked his stance when he got to the org, and that has been attributed to his breakout season. I believe he has even praised the work that the org has done with his stance and the way he feels at the plate now vs previously.

I do not know about the pitching part. I would be surprised if that were the case since I have heard that his arm is the weak part of his defensive game.

Regardless (it is pointless to argue who is more "Panda"), he has been incredibly impressive this year. IIRC, he hit a HR in his first game in Richmond as well. I recently (just a couple days ago) stated that I would be surprised if Belt were called up this week. But seeing as they promoted him to Fresno so quickly, and the imediate success he saw in Fresno, I am completely changing my course now and EXPECTING to see him.

I LOVE being wrong in these issues :)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IIRC, he has such a good arm that he was once considered a pitching prospect. I wonder if his throwing has regressed or if pitching strength just doesn't always translate to positional play?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, he has such a good arm that he was once considered a pitching prospect. I wonder if his throwing has regressed or if pitching strength just doesn't always translate to positional play?

That could be a factor...

Velocity does not necessarily equate to distance. He also may have had movement, but not velocity. He could have had a good CU or curve, but a FB that maxed at 88 or something.

I will see if I can't find some info on his pitching past...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I found some good stuff...

He was a top pitching prospect out of HS, but was only drafted in the 11th round (by Boston) because of signability issues. At the time, he had a tight CB at about 78 mph. His FB was very inconsistent, ranging on a good game from 88-93 to on a bad game low 80s.

As for now, I saw scouts rating him from ++ defense to simply "above average". I only found one reference to his arm now, and it was described as "above average" as well.

His outfield defense, however, was pretty universally panned, although I would be willing to write that off to little experience. He was described as having bad jumps and horrible routes, which you would think would have the possibility of imporoving with more innings played.

EVERYONE was gushing about his bat and his quick adoption of the new stance. The quick adoption of the new stance really excites me. It tells me that he is willing/able to learn on-the-job. This would help him avoid the kind of troubles that Panda was having this season.

BTW...

I was wrong yet again. He did not hit a HR in his first game in Richmond. He went 0-3 in his first game, but promptly went on a 12-game hitting streak and basically dominating the pitching-rich AA Eastern League.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I found some good stuff...

He was a top pitching prospect out of HS, but was only drafted in the 11th round (by Boston) because of signability issues. At the time, he had a tight CB at about 78 mph. His FB was very inconsistent, ranging on a good game from 88-93 to on a bad game low 80s.

As for now, I saw scouts rating him from ++ defense to simply "above average". I only found one reference to his arm now, and it was described as "above average" as well.

His outfield defense, however, was pretty universally panned, although I would be willing to write that off to little experience. He was described as having bad jumps and horrible routes, which you would think would have the possibility of imporoving with more innings played.

EVERYONE was gushing about his bat and his quick adoption of the new stance. The quick adoption of the new stance really excites me. It tells me that he is willing/able to learn on-the-job. This would help him avoid the kind of troubles that Panda was having this season.

BTW...

I was wrong yet again. He did not hit a HR in his first game in Richmond. He went 0-3 in his first game, but promptly went on a 12-game hitting streak and basically dominating the pitching-rich AA Eastern League.

Thanks for the info/research Cal. I thought I remembered reading something about him being a pitcher before, but I couldn't remember.

ElJimador

Keepin it Real
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think it's a good idea for the Giants to get a read on whether he can play the OF and to keep that under consideration when they are negotiating a new contract with Huff. Because as well as Huff has played the OF this year I'm not sure I'd expect him to continue that and if they think Huff's use to the team going forward is more likely at 1B exclusively then you have to figure out if Belt can play somewhere else. If they're not sold that he can that might limit their interest in Huff to just a 1 year contract.

Also, I don't expect Belt to get more than the occassional PH appearance if he is called up in September but it still wouldn't hurt if he can show the flexibility to play more than one positon, even if it's only in an emergency.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a good idea for the Giants to get a read on whether he can play the OF and to keep that under consideration when they are negotiating a new contract with Huff. Because as well as Huff has played the OF this year I'm not sure I'd expect him to continue that and if they think Huff's use to the team going forward is more likely at 1B exclusively then you have to figure out if Belt can play somewhere else. If they're not sold that he can that might limit their interest in Huff to just a 1 year contract.

Also, I don't expect Belt to get more than the occassional PH appearance if he is called up in September but it still wouldn't hurt if he can show the flexibility to play more than one positon, even if it's only in an emergency.

I too think it's a good Idea to get him some work in the OF.

Huff's offense is good enough to be average defender in LF, and Belt being a +++defender (supposedly) at 1st, I would give Huff the benefit of the doubt to be an everyday LF at this point, so we don't have average defenders at both positions. But like you said it doesn't hurt to have Belt play some LF so in case Huff's defense declines or the Giants have to eventually move Sandoval to 1st base, Belt has a place to go.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, you have to factor DeRosa into the mix, likely at 3b with Panda moving to 1b. Thus, a re-signed Huff Daddy would play a lot of OF and Belt would need to be ready to play there too.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure there's some logic to it, but there's just too many unknowns to do much more than make a note of it.

Obviously they tried out Belt in LF because they knew Timmy was going to prefer pitching to Hector Sanchez two years down the line and they knew that Posey was going to get steamrolled in 2011 and would need to have an occassional break. Duh. God, sometimes you guys find a way to question everything!!!

;) :heh:

Last edited by a moderator: