• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beathard Doing His Best To Make Shanahan's Decision Difficult.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A post talked about the 49ers trading Garapolo for multiple picks. No team is going to give us multiple picks for a QB that is going to be a FA. If that was the case, NE would have received multiple picks for him but they didnt get that
Oh. I see what you mean now. I hope he stays and pans out. I'd have to see more of him before I have any confidence in him. Shanhan seems to think a lot of him and I'm impressed with his ability to work with QBs so it sounds like there is definitely something there.
I'd draft Rosen if things don't work out with Garapolo

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Beathard never turns out to be anything special, I still respect how he went about it. Just as Shanahan's first comments about why he wanted him...'tough as shit.' That's pretty evident as he keeps his head up downfield even when the pass rush is on top of him (still holds the ball far, far too long) but he'll take an ass kicking and get back up. Everybody around him loves that.

Having said that...the one reason I'd like to see him more is that I'd like to see him do something similar again against another team. The Giants defensively - Janoris Jenkins obviously - flat out quit. Having Staley return is obviously a positive, but it can't make that much of a difference that the Giants pass rush gets 0 sacks vs the Cardinals pass rush that looked like the '85 Bears.

Another scenario is that maybe ShanaLynch 'know' enough about Garoppolo in that he's the guy they want long term, and they want to get as much Beathard exposure around the league to possibly offer him to another team.

In the end, just like everybody else, I'd like to see a long term solution at QB, and SF hasn't had one in nearly 2 decades.

Yea I was thinking about our lack of a long term QB for the past...billion years. This is a very weird situation with a highly touted back up QB we traded for, and a rook who has stepped in and literally taken his lumps and earned the right to start. While he's not lighting the world on fire (besides last game), he sure as hell has earned the right to be the man under center regardless of the situation. Ultimately, it's the coaches decision, it's based on what they see in practice as well as the continuity and trust they bring with them into the huddle. If CJ struggles, there will be the window to push him in.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one difference between the 49ers trying to trade JG and New England is that everyone knew New England couldn't franchise the guy to keep him around the 49ers absolutely can and then work out a deal with a team wishing to trade for him so New England had no leverage the 49ers do. I also don't believe New England viewed him in the same light as other Brady back ups they were trying to keep him around and only moved him when they knew they couldn't get anything done or no better offers were coming in.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one difference between the 49ers trying to trade JG and New England is that everyone knew New England couldn't franchise the guy to keep him around the 49ers absolutely can and then work out a deal with a team wishing to trade for him so New England had no leverage the 49ers do. I also don't believe New England viewed him in the same light as other Brady back ups they were trying to keep him around and only moved him when they knew they couldn't get anything done or no better offers were coming in.

That is true but still on the other hand no one is going to throw a boat load of picks at a QB that is becoming a free agent and doesn't agree to a long term extension. I just don't see that happening.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per NFLN, Shanahan states that Beathard will start against the Seahawks.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.