• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears release Tracy Porter

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No real surprise here. He's getting old. He played some good games for the Bears, but never seemed to bounce back last year from minor injuries, and was too often beat badly because of it(I assume).

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great move. This guy showed up for 2 games out of each season he was here. Who cares if Pace is tipping his hand if he is going with Lattimore, he wont go 1 or 2.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a pretty solid 2015, and a couple of good games in 2016. Namely helping keep a few big name receivers in check.

Was arguably the key piece in finishing off the win vs GB on Thanksgiving. With the INT on Rodgers, and then ripping the ball out of James Jones hands in the end zone on the second to last play.

However, yeah... the second half of this last season especially. He became a liability back there.

He did his job, which was hold the fort down and play "serviceable" football while we were trying to look towards a youth movement.

He also obviously made the two biggest plays in Saints history. The INT vs Favre to hold off Minnesota and force OT in the final seconds in the NFCCG. Then, the pick six vs Peyton to seal off a SB victory. If this is the end for him, he had a very nice career.

steve59

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm becoming numb to bears moves since they cut porter and leave fuller on the roster to compete, I obviously know nothing about football.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm becoming numb to bears moves since they cut porter and leave fuller on the roster to compete, I obviously know nothing about football.

Can you explain what's wrong with that, please? I don't know anyone who has even thought of questioning either end of that, but I'm willing to listen.

Option A - 30+ year old, declining CB that was a liability the second half of the season and set to make 4.25 mil.

Versus

Option B - 25 year old CB, who we invested a 1st round pick into, that played very good football in 2015 before getting hurt in 2016 and was held out due to us being out of the hunt very early. Who is due to make 2.6 mil.

Go ahead and make your case for option A.

steve59

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said I obviously know nothing about football. I saw fuller have 1 decent game as a bear while porter went against #1 receivers all season. I thought porter earned the right to compete for a spot but I didn't know he had guaranteed money on the table if he was released after training camp. No arguments for him being the wrong side of 30. fuller being 'held out because the bears were out of the hunt' is debatable and it's more likely he wasn't ready to compete for lingering injury/pain/confidence, than saving our poster boy for a playoff season.

Last edited:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the coaches were disappointed in Fuller in that he failed to recover fully from a minor scope. Questioning whether he really worked hard, or if HE had packed it in for the season.

With that said, he is still a young first round pick, that showed flashes of good play, before his injury. Porter had a great season for us in '15, and played well for the first half of last season. He was a massive liability the second half of the season tho, with teams repeatedly abusing him.

The Bears brought in some young DBs thru free agency this year, so someone was going to get cut. The choice was between an old veteran and a young kid that that we drafted high, who really hasn't had enough tape to determine if he's a bust or not. I still like Fuller. He's undersized, but feisty. I think he will bounce back and be a decent corner.

Porter's best days are behind him. As I said in my OP, I think the writing was on the wall, after signing Amukamara and Marcus Cooper and with guys like Cre'von LeBlanc turning out to be a fairly pleasant surprise late last year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said I obviously know nothing about football. I saw fuller have 1 decent game as a bear while porter went against #1 receivers all season. I thought porter earned the right to compete for a spot but I didn't know he had guaranteed money on the table if he was released after training camp. No arguments for him being the wrong side of 30. fuller being 'held out because the bears were out of the hunt' is debatable and it's more likely he wasn't ready to compete for lingering injury/pain/confidence, than saving our poster boy for a playoff season.

Porter played pretty poorly the second half man. He never "shadowed" anyone, the Bears have yet to do that under Fangio, that I am aware of. However, he played a big part in helping contain a few top WR's. I won't dispute that.

I simply don't know what you're talking about with "one good game" from Fuller. He had one very publicized good game vs SF his rookie year, but also had many others along the way.

It's also not debatable that he was "held out" because they were out of the hunt. It is 100% fact. He was brought off of IR in week 9 or 10, declared able to play and then held out the rest of the season anyway. He's also not close to being our "poster boy"... lol

steve59

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else notice how small our group is? We may be the only bears fans left.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else notice how small our group is? We may be the only bears fans left.

Most the team forums are fairly slow...there are a few exceptions.

But ya, generally the shittier the team, the slower and more dysfunctional the board.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great move. This guy showed up for 2 games out of each season he was here. Who cares if Pace is tipping his hand if he is going with Lattimore, he wont go 1 or 2.
I'm not so sure he is going with Lattimore. We just signed Amukamura and Cooper who would most likely jump Porter on the depth chart. We also had Crevon LeBlanc who I thought played better than Porter last year. It just made sense to part with him.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure he is going with Lattimore. We just signed Amukamura and Cooper who would most likely jump Porter on the depth chart. We also had Crevon LeBlanc who I thought played better than Porter last year. It just made sense to part with him.

LeBlanc made a few plays, but overall... in coverage, he was pretty raw and got beat a lot. He did improve as the year went on. Good SPT'er and maybe he can take another step forward this year.