• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Re-Sign Connor Shaw

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Bears Considered Frontrunner To Sign Mike Glennon
Bears facing little competition for Mike Glennon

Yeah, as of right now, it looks like we're getting Glennon. Don't know how I feel about that. A fine stop-gap guy, but I'm going to be pretty pissed if we give him Osweiler money.

I don't see much of a point in bringing back Hoyer now. Draft a QB day 2, and roll into the season with Glennon/Shaw/Rookie as our QB group.

Cutty gets his 2.5 tomorrow, if he is leaving town, he will probably take it all at once this time, so you potentially add that to whatever Glennon will be making this year or Glennon is the backup.

I would not mind Cuttys last year with someone ready big time behind him. You just know my feeling, that backups support the starter and the starter takes time with the backup so they are most prepared when they do get in the game.

As far as Glennon, 6'6 232 is nice to have, starting his career with Lovie gets him some slack.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutty gets his 2.5 tomorrow, if he is leaving town, he will probably take it all at once this time, so you potentially add that to whatever Glennon will be making this year or Glennon is the backup.

I would not mind Cuttys last year with someone ready big time behind him. You just know my feeling, that backups support the starter and the starter takes time with the backup so they are most prepared when they do get in the game.

As far as Glennon, 6'6 232 is nice to have, starting his career with Lovie gets him some slack.
"Mike Glennon is our Quarterback"

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we signed Glennon to a short contract, like 2-3 years, I would like bringing him in for the rumored price (14mil). Then, I would turn my attention to a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom. Even though Glennon probably isn't the answer at QB, it gives the Bears a plan to develop one. Then if Glennon proves me wrong, and he dominates, we're in good hands. If he is average or worse, it starts to create competition at the position which could result in a stud QB emerging.

I wouldn't stop there though, I would groom the rookie to become back up for next year and draft another QB to groom in the draft next year. Rinse and repeat until we have our stud QB.
I would rather have Hoyer as back up next year than Shaw though.

Yeah, I'm kind of starting to think this way myself. Just keep cycling in talent, working with guys until we finally strike gold. We've tried it the other way for years, committing to ONE guy.

It's time to cut the bull shit.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preliminary report is 3/45

I know everyone who follows the league knows this, but until we find out how much is guaranteed. It's all speculative. I'd bet roughly 30 of that is guaranteed. 9-10 mil per year or so.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14:47 on Yahoo sports, by some Molnar guy titled, Miami favorites to sign Cutler

That player looks to be former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler. Seen as one of the favorites to sign Cutler by the folks in Las Vegas, the Miami Dolphins for some reason could be considering Jay Cutler as an option at quarterback. Let me also state that while there has been no confirmed reports of meetings or talks between the two parties, Vegas is not normally off in how they value things.

Miami Dolphins among favorites to sign quarterback Jay Cutler

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Hoyer is off to the city by the bay.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14:47 on Yahoo sports, by some Molnar guy titled, Miami favorites to sign Cutler

That player looks to be former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler. Seen as one of the favorites to sign Cutler by the folks in Las Vegas, the Miami Dolphins for some reason could be considering Jay Cutler as an option at quarterback. Let me also state that while there has been no confirmed reports of meetings or talks between the two parties, Vegas is not normally off in how they value things.

Miami Dolphins among favorites to sign quarterback Jay Cutler

Vegas also had us pegged for Kaepernick.

They're just trying to suck people in with Cutler, because Gase is there.

He's going to Houston after Romo signs with Elway and Denver. IMO

Hell... he'll probably win that division next year.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas also had us pegged for Kaepernick.

They're just trying to suck people in with Cutler, because Gase is there.

He's going to Houston after Romo signs with Elway and Denver. IMO

Hell... he'll probably win that division next year.
The only team I could see taking cutler is Miami. I don't know why anyone else would want him. Houston is already invested in Brock osweiler and I doubt they invest more money in another vet QB like cutler who might not even be any better.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only team I could see taking cutler is Miami. I don't know why anyone else would want him. Houston is already invested in Brock osweiler and I doubt they invest more money in another vet QB like cutler who might not even be any better.

Osweiler was benched for Tom Savage. lol. Cutler is head and shoulders better than Osweiler.

The reality of the situation is, that our perception of Cutler is blurred from everything we've been through with him. He's still an above average signal caller, and not only that. He has a ceiling of being able to put together a good run of top notch play at times, when things are falling into place around him. Like we saw quite a few times here.

Houston would instantly become AFC South favorites if they got Cutler. In that shit division, they'd win 11 games. That defense is real, and Jay is at his best when he doesn't feel like the weight of the world is on his shoulders. As we saw when he had a top defense under Lovie, and when Gase made sure to not let him play over his head.

Oh, and odds say here that Cutler is favored to sign with Houston.

Odds in favor of Jay Cutler signing with the Texans

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osweiler was benched for Tom Savage. lol. Cutler is head and shoulders better than Osweiler.

The reality of the situation is, that our perception of Cutler is blurred from everything we've been through with him. He's still an above average signal caller, and not only that. He has a ceiling of being able to put together a good run of top notch play at times, when things are falling into place around him. Like we saw quite a few times here.

Houston would instantly become AFC South favorites if they got Cutler. In that shit division, they'd win 11 games. That defense is real, and Jay is at his best when he doesn't feel like the weight of the world is on his shoulders. As we saw when he had a top defense under Lovie, and when Gase made sure to not let him play over his head.

Oh, and odds say here that Cutler is favored to sign with Houston.

Odds in favor of Jay Cutler signing with the Texans
We will have to see. The reason I don't think they will commit to jay is financial. They already have a bad QB contract, why waste more money on a marginally better QB?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have to see. The reason I don't think they will commit to jay is financial. They already have a bad QB contract, why waste more money on a marginally better QB?

I don't think you know how bad Osweiler is then. He just had one of the worst full seasons for a QB in a long time... He is just about unplayable, and is a loss either way.

His contract is also a lot different from what you seem to think. His contract is mostly front loaded into the first two years. After this upcoming year, it will be similar to how Cutler's was with us. All but like 6 mil of the guaranteed money will be paid off. The last two years are almost like an option. Not much of a penalty to let him go.

Also, Cutler will probably be rather cheap, given his age now and how his last season went here.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you know how bad Osweiler is then. He just had one of the worst full seasons for a QB in a long time... He is just about unplayable, and is a loss either way.

His contract is also a lot different from what you seem to think. His contract is mostly front loaded into the first two years. After this upcoming year, it will be similar to how Cutler's was with us. All but like 6 mil of the guaranteed money will be paid off. The last two years are almost like an option. Not much of a penalty to let him go.

Also, Cutler will probably be rather cheap, given his age now and how his last season went here.
Then everyone christening osweilers contract a stud one of the worst makes no sense. I still think Houston would be gunshy after giving Osweiler such a contract. Giving another QB who failed miserably at his last stop doesn't seem like a wise move. I bet they draft a QB over taking a shitty retread. That way they don't have to pay as much and can use their available cap space elsewhere.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know on Glennon. He had a decent rookie year, but was benched in favor of Josh McCown ffs.

I don't know if that is step up from Cutler, so much as a step sideways...maybe even down.

I have seen some reports that we are getting him for pretty cheap tho.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know on Glennon. He had a decent rookie year, but was benched in favor of Josh McCown ffs.

I don't know if that is step up from Cutler, so much as a step sideways...maybe even down.

I have seen some reports that we are getting him for pretty cheap tho.

It's not as though McCown beat out Glennon in a true competition. McCown was Lovie's guy. Lovie signed him as his security blanket as soon as he got to Tampa. Glennon never had a chance, but he was the better QB.

I like the signing for you guys. Glennon is solid. And he's hungry.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far I am ecstatic that we did not sign Kaperdick or trade for romo.

It's not as though McCown beat out Glennon in a true competition. McCown was Lovie's guy. Lovie signed him as his security blanket as soon as he got to Tampa. Glennon never had a chance, but he was the better QB.

I like the signing for you guys. Glennon is solid. And he's hungry.

and thats the only offensive minded guy Lovie signed for the offense. I believe a college quarterback coach ended up calling the plays that year.

By the way, there were stories on every news front about Romo will be released today. Nothing about Jay. Is it possible we will actually have a competition? Jay and Glennon with Shaw as the third? The guy on the score this morning is even calling Glennon an asset to trade. I cant believe they signed him to have an asset, but the same guy claims the bears are still picking a QB early in the draft and it might be Watson. Wouldnt that suck for Glennon, first pushed aside for Freeman, then ultimately replaced by Winston, and possibly another highly touted black quarterback here? ITs hard to say that without sounding racist, not the point, but that young college stud might be right on his heels again.