• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Re-Sign Connor Shaw

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go with Mahomes if I was 100% sure he wasn't going to play for at least a year. Preferably longer. I don't think that's the case. Unless we sign someone like Romo and a quality back up, Mahomes will see the field. I just don't think he can learn the ins and outs of a pro style offense.

Oh, I agree with that. Mahomes is a project. Not a "plug-in and start" prospect.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Bears want Brian Hoyer back

If these rumors are true, it sounds like the bears aren't too interested in drafting a QB this year. Shaw, Hoyer, and Glennon look like they are the bears favorites to be on the team next year.

I agree. However, I wouldn't really rule out re-signing Hoyer (will be cheap) and drafting a rookie to sit behind him. Possibly a camp competition, or at least have Hoyer as a veteran presence to show him the ropes a bit. Most seem to say Hoyer is a consummate professional.

Keep in mind, this also could be setting up exactly what we said Mahomes would need.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I am hearing that Glennon might require, "Osweiller type money" which gives me a LOT of pause here.

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but Cutler's cap hit for this season is only $16 Million. As awful as that sounded a couple of years ago, that's almost a bargain now. No, I don't particularly want another season of Cutler, but if we're talking effing Colin Kaepernick? Let's just roll with what we have (Cutler and Shaw) and draft a guy to hopefully be the successor.

We haven't cut him yet...

I've been warming up to the idea of Hoyer starting for us, on the cheap. Who I also think is just as good, if not better than Kaep or any of those options. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he's just as good as Romo, at this point in his career.

I honestly wouldn't mind another year of Jay. Unless we can bring in Jimmy G or McCarron, which seems like an outside shot. I really don't see where he's not as good as the other options. The only negative part, would be that it would just feel like we're spinning our wheels. We would just have to think about it, as Cutler isn't any longer our "franchise guy". He's simply filling in as a one-year veteran stop-gap, just like Kaep, Fitzpatrick, Romo, Hoyer... etc... would have.

I mean, Cutler never panned out as franchise guy. However, as far as one year rentals go? You can do far worse than Jay.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. However, I wouldn't really rule out re-signing Hoyer (will be cheap) and drafting a rookie to sit behind him. Possibly a camp competition, or at least have Hoyer as a veteran presence to show him the ropes a bit. Most seem to say Hoyer is a consummate professional.

Keep in mind, this also could be setting up exactly what we said Mahomes would need.
The issue with that is Hoyer is very injury prone. We would need another solid starter to keep in front of Mahommes. Personally, I wouldn't touch mahommes with a ten foot pole. People compare him to Brett Favre because of his big arm, big play ability, etc. Every year a rookie QB gets that comparison for those reasons (Cutler did, Grossman did, and several others). And not one of them has really been too successful. People say he is a project, but I think the kid will have a very short NFL career unless he is pruned properly. The odds of that happening with us are slim to none, especially with injury prone starters in front of him.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with that is Hoyer is very injury prone. We would need another solid starter to keep in front of Mahommes. Personally, I wouldn't touch mahommes with a ten foot pole. People compare him to Brett Favre because of his big arm, big play ability, etc. Every year a rookie QB gets that comparison for those reasons (Cutler did, Grossman did, and several others). And not one of them has really been too successful. People say he is a project, but I think the kid will have a very short NFL career unless he is pruned properly. The odds of that happening with us are slim to none, especially with injury prone starters in front of him.

I'm not saying he's our answer for the future. However, we wouldn't be taking him in the first round, and I think his raw ability may be worth taking a shot on. I'd like him to sit behind whoever DOES wind up being "THE" guy. Hopefully, that would be Jimmy G or McCarron next off-season.

Also, Rex wasn't really compared to Favre out of college. If you remember, he was more of a scrambler/runner at Florida. He broke his leg and blew out his knee in back-to-back seasons to start his career, which really rendered that aspect of his game useless. I often wonder what could have been with him, had he not had two very big injuries. His poor mechanics in the pocket were then exposed, due to the fact that he really was never a "pocket passer". He had similar measurements to Brees, and a big arm. If he could have held on to his ability to move. He may have had a nice career.

Anyway, he started getting that comparison because of his jekyll/hyde nature during the 06 season. Which wound up, in the end... just being Jekyll. lol

Does Hoyer really have that large of an injury history? Outside of last year? I don't really recall him missing time in Cleveland, until they f'd up and let Manziel take the reigns at the end of 2014. He didn't get hurt in Houston, after taking over that job. I don't believe, at least.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he's our answer for the future. However, we wouldn't be taking him in the first round, and I think his raw ability may be worth taking a shot on. I'd like him to sit behind whoever DOES wind up being "THE" guy. Hopefully, that would be Jimmy G or McCarron next off-season.

Also, Rex wasn't really compared to Favre out of college. If you remember, he was more of a scrambler/runner at Florida. He broke his leg and blew out his knee in back-to-back seasons to start his career, which really rendered that aspect of his game useless. I often wonder what could have been with him, had he not had two very big injuries. His poor mechanics in the pocket were then exposed, due to the fact that he really was never a "pocket passer". He had similar measurements to Brees, and a big arm. If he could have held on to his ability to move. He may have had a nice career.

Anyway, he started getting that comparison because of his jekyll/hyde nature during the 06 season. Which wound up, in the end... just being Jekyll. lol

Does Hoyer really have that large of an injury history? Outside of last year? I don't really recall him missing time in Cleveland, until they f'd up and let Manziel take the reigns at the end of 2014. He didn't get hurt in Houston, after taking over that job. I don't believe, at least.
Not sure, I'm probably mixing up Hoyer and McCown. I still don't trust Hoyer to last a whole season.

And you don't need to come to grossmans defense, I'm not bashing him. He was just compared to Favre, and I recall it happening prior to the 06 season. And I seriously doubt he wouldve had a nice career either way. You can play woulda coulda shoulda all you want, but the bottom line is he sucked. And you don't draft a QB with his frame if you think he's going to be playing outside the pocket a lot of the time.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually IIRC, Hoyer came in for Weeden and came on like gang-busters and Cleveland was really starting to love him and then he tore an ACL I think on a scramble on Prime Time TV... Really sucked because he looked like he was on his way... Granted it was only two games (Plus the one he got hurt in), but...

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What Hoyer has is frequent flier miles. For whatever reason he was never given the full reigns. He did start in New England, rarely played. Moved to Cleveland, went 3-0 his first year 7-6 his next year, left for Houston where we all remember that terrible playoff game with 4 picks and a 30-0 drubbing. Last year we all think he did pretty well, had some big yard games, but his record was still 1-4. his average yards per attempt was 7.2. That is his career average. Thats the bear offense, either Cutler throwing 60% of his pass attempts behind the line of scrimmage with screens to 10 yard slants.

Pretty sure we know what we get with Cutler and Hoyer, just waiting for the bonehead plays. Hoyer, a career 7 yard average passer with a 82 passer rating. Sure seems like someone with more upside can handle that.

It sounds like its going to be an interesting few days. Apparently Jones met with Romo and said he will do what is best for both of them, which sounds like a release, but he seems to be stressing that money he got paid and asking him to go to an AFC team if he is released. The funny part is most commentators are saying he will go to a team with a strong offensive line that can keep him upright. Didnt Dallas have the best offensive line in the league those years he got hurt?

The bears are nuts to not take a QB that drops this year. Even with Cutler, there is an end in sight.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the other side of the fence.......................

Adam Shefter is an excellent reporter. The problem that anyone following him has, is that he alwys quotes 'sources'. He never tells anyone who those sources are. He certainly doesn't say that he has a team source with the Patriots. One thing that everyone has to remember is that since BB took over as head coach, speaking to the media is a death sentence whether you're a player, coach or water boy. Belichick is the only source. If Shefter got information from anyone on the Patriots, it was Belichick or someone Belichick instructed to give information.

The local expert insider here in NE is Tom E. Curran. No one is closer to the patriots players or coaches and that is by design. And the design is Belichick's. Curran outright says that JG will be available for the right price. Everyone here in NE knows that BB would trade his mother for the right "Value" considerations.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually IIRC, Hoyer came in for Weeden and came on like gang-busters and Cleveland was really starting to love him and then he tore an ACL I think on a scramble on Prime Time TV... Really sucked because he looked like he was on his way... Granted it was only two games (Plus the one he got hurt in), but...

Oh yeah, that was 2013, right? Then in 2014, was when they contended up until they decided to start Manziel and he proceeded to take a dump on the field. lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Hoyer has is frequent flier miles. For whatever reason he was never given the full reigns. He did start in New England, rarely played. Moved to Cleveland, went 3-0 his first year 7-6 his next year, left for Houston where we all remember that terrible playoff game with 4 picks and a 30-0 drubbing. Last year we all think he did pretty well, had some big yard games, but his record was still 1-4. his average yards per attempt was 7.2. That is his career average. Thats the bear offense, either Cutler throwing 60% of his pass attempts behind the line of scrimmage with screens to 10 yard slants.

Pretty sure we know what we get with Cutler and Hoyer, just waiting for the bonehead plays. Hoyer, a career 7 yard average passer with a 82 passer rating. Sure seems like someone with more upside can handle that.

It sounds like its going to be an interesting few days. Apparently Jones met with Romo and said he will do what is best for both of them, which sounds like a release, but he seems to be stressing that money he got paid and asking him to go to an AFC team if he is released. The funny part is most commentators are saying he will go to a team with a strong offensive line that can keep him upright. Didnt Dallas have the best offensive line in the league those years he got hurt?

The bears are nuts to not take a QB that drops this year. Even with Cutler, there is an end in sight.

I have no idea what is going to happen. Usually, I have some sort of a gut feeling, this year... nothing. No clue who lines up under center Week 1 come September.

In fairness, Hoyer's numbers have been pretty darn good going back to Houston. Which is about a full season's worth. 14 starts: 25 TD's 7 INT's 64 CMP% 94 QB rating 4,000+ yards... You could do a lot worse for a stop-gap QB. I'll take him over Kaep, that's for sure.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the other side of the fence.......................

Adam Shefter is an excellent reporter. The problem that anyone following him has, is that he alwys quotes 'sources'. He never tells anyone who those sources are. He certainly doesn't say that he has a team source with the Patriots. One thing that everyone has to remember is that since BB took over as head coach, speaking to the media is a death sentence whether you're a player, coach or water boy. Belichick is the only source. If Shefter got information from anyone on the Patriots, it was Belichick or someone Belichick instructed to give information.

The local expert insider here in NE is Tom E. Curran. No one is closer to the patriots players or coaches and that is by design. And the design is Belichick's. Curran outright says that JG will be available for the right price. Everyone here in NE knows that BB would trade his mother for the right "Value" considerations.

The problem that anyone following him has, is that he alwys quotes 'sources'. He never tells anyone who those sources are. He certainly doesn't say that he has a team source with the Patriots.

Well, yeah. That's kind of the point of having "sources". They're leaking information to you, that you would otherwise be unable to find out about. Of course he's not going to just compromise the guy he got the info from.

Same goes for any reporter in politics, business... etc...

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, that was 2013, right? Then in 2014, was when they contended up until they decided to start Manziel and he proceeded to take a dump on the field. lol

Sounds about right... LOL!!!

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with re-signing Shaw. I thought he earned more look see.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... Cousins is starting to look like he's really on the market. Reports say chances are dwindling that he returns to Washington. However, it looks like SF is likely to be his destination.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... Cousins is starting to look like he's really on the market. Reports say chances are dwindling that he returns to Washington. However, it looks like SF is likely to be his destination.

Apparently Jones is worried that Romo will go to Washington and win a super bowl, at worst, help game planning against dallas in the playoffs. It would really make that rivalry interesting. If Jones did not get a good enough feeling that Romo wont go there, he might keep him.

Only ticker I read was bears are in big on Glennon on the first day teams are allowed to talk to free agents. They have one day to get him to agree and cut Cutler to save the 2.5 million. Last year Shaw earned the backup spot, but Hoyer probably had it anyway.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Jones is worried that Romo will go to Washington and win a super bowl, at worst, help game planning against dallas in the playoffs. It would really make that rivalry interesting. If Jones did not get a good enough feeling that Romo wont go there, he might keep him.

Only ticker I read was bears are in big on Glennon on the first day teams are allowed to talk to free agents. They have one day to get him to agree and cut Cutler to save the 2.5 million. Last year Shaw earned the backup spot, but Hoyer probably had it anyway.

Report: Bears Considered Frontrunner To Sign Mike Glennon
Bears facing little competition for Mike Glennon

Yeah, as of right now, it looks like we're getting Glennon. Don't know how I feel about that. A fine stop-gap guy, but I'm going to be pretty pissed if we give him Osweiler money.

I don't see much of a point in bringing back Hoyer now. Draft a QB day 2, and roll into the season with Glennon/Shaw/Rookie as our QB group.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, as of right now, it looks like we're getting Glennon. Don't know how I feel about that. A fine stop-gap guy, but I'm going to be pretty pissed if we give him Osweiler money.

I don't see much of a point in bringing back Hoyer now. Draft a QB day 2, and roll into the season with Glennon/Shaw/Rookie as our QB group.

I like Glennon's potential, but I'm with you that I hate to pay that kind of money for "potential"...

I think it really just underscores how over Jay Cutler this franchise is...

I hope if we are TRULY facing "little competition" that we can get the price tag down to $13 or $14 million at least? I've heard talk of $17 or $18 million, which kind of baffles me...

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Word around here (the D.C. area) is that the whole "Three way trade" thing was just a smoke screen to hide all of the shit going on with Scott McCloughin and such... Thinking it through logically, this trade never made sense...

San Fran either waits out Cousins and gets him next season on the open market, or makes a trade for him now... My gut tells me they wait it out.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we signed Glennon to a short contract, like 2-3 years, I would like bringing him in for the rumored price (14mil). Then, I would turn my attention to a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom. Even though Glennon probably isn't the answer at QB, it gives the Bears a plan to develop one. Then if Glennon proves me wrong, and he dominates, we're in good hands. If he is average or worse, it starts to create competition at the position which could result in a stud QB emerging.

I wouldn't stop there though, I would groom the rookie to become back up for next year and draft another QB to groom in the draft next year. Rinse and repeat until we have our stud QB. I would rather have Hoyer as back up next year than Shaw though.