• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BB's thoughts on Ollie Luck

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a huge fan of AD Luck. I was psyched when he agreed to come back to WVU to be Pastilong's replacement. I was a supporter of Ed's, and I continue to be to this day. Ed was a product of his generation, and used the business model he learned on the job while coming up through the ranks in WVU's athletic department.

I had a feeling Luck would come to WVU with a different approach, and I was excited to see the impact he would make.

Not everything he has done, nor the way he has done things has had my support. I was against the whole HCIW concept. I was disappointed to learn how he had mismanaged the Tier 3 media rights bidding process, and I think he failed to conduct an effective PR campaign to explain the changes he implemented in season ticket sales and Coliseum parking that drew the ire of many long time WVU fans.

In a state like WV which is used to the good ole boy system, which distrusts outsiders, whose people are uncomfortable with change, I expected him to be rejected by some… and celebrated by others. I understand both sides and their arguments supporting their POV.

But, I believe Luck is a great representative of our alma mater. What he has achieved by becoming the 2nd in command of the NCAA is astonishing. This is another outstanding achievement by one of our own… from our school that is riddled with so many negative stereotypes. WVU has leaders in business, medicine and other professions… clearly demonstrating the core building blocks for success have roots in Morgantown.

In just 4 1/2 years, Luck has impacted the WVU athletic department and programs in ways that will be felt for years to come. It is a shame that he won't leave WVU as one of the most beloved, it is a shame that John Raese took it as his personal mission to destroy his credibility.

But, I could not be more proud of his work at WVU. And, I am proud that he represents all that is good about WVU as he marches forward in his career.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great article by John Antonik…

Luck's Tenure Features Many Accomplishments - WVU Athletics

Did not know this…

Fortunately for West Virginia, Clements was all in and he soon got another key player on board: former football coach Don Nehlen, whose vast associations throughout the country included a close friendship with Chuck Neinas, the Big 12’s interim commissioner at the time.

“Jim thought I was the key guy because of my friendship with Chuck. He told me, ‘Don we’re not getting in the ACC’ and I remember telling him, ‘Jim, are you sure you want to go to the Big 12?’ He said, ‘I want to go somewhere. Bad,’” said Nehlen.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Change is never easy...and is ugly sometimes...and when you are a program or have been in a culture that has stood in neutral for such a long time its even more difficult..there are some that introduce change slowly..and others that rip the scab off and just get it over with...Obviously Ollie assessment of the state of the program called for the latter....it's just not my opinion...but a fact ...what he has done in 4.5 years at University that operates in one of the poorest states in the country is nothing short of phenomenal...he may not only be the greatest AD in Wv history...but maybe in all of college athletics....likely the reason he is now been hired to fix the NCAA

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a huge fan of AD Luck. I was psyched when he agreed to come back to WVU to be Pastilong's replacement. I was a supporter of Ed's, and I continue to be to this day. Ed was a product of his generation, and used the business model he learned on the job while coming up through the ranks in WVU's athletic department.

I had a feeling Luck would come to WVU with a different approach, and I was excited to see the impact he would make.

Not everything he has done, nor the way he has done things has had my support. I was against the whole HCIW concept. I was disappointed to learn how he had mismanaged the Tier 3 media rights bidding process, and I think he failed to conduct an effective PR campaign to explain the changes he implemented in season ticket sales and Coliseum parking that drew the ire of many long time WVU fans.

In a state like WV which is used to the good ole boy system, which distrusts outsiders, whose people are uncomfortable with change, I expected him to be rejected by some… and celebrated by others. I understand both sides and their arguments supporting their POV.

But, I believe Luck is a great representative of our alma mater. What he has achieved by becoming the 2nd in command of the NCAA is astonishing. This is another outstanding achievement by one of our own… from our school that is riddled with so many negative stereotypes. WVU has leaders in business, medicine and other professions… clearly demonstrating the core building blocks for success have roots in Morgantown.

In just 4 1/2 years, Luck has impacted the WVU athletic department and programs in ways that will be felt for years to come. It is a shame that he won't leave WVU as one of the most beloved, it is a shame that John Raese took it as his personal mission to destroy his credibility.

But, I could not be more proud of his work at WVU. And, I am proud that he represents all that is good about WVU as he marches forward in his career.
Great post, BB, I agree with much of what you've said here. There are several things luck did that I do not agree with, but he is an effective leader. WVU has been blessed with some really good ADs, who have led the athletic department well and represented WVU admirably. I get really pissed at the ones who dismiss the past, I celebrate the past accomplishments, WVU getting into the BE was key to getting name recognition, had that not happened, we would likely be in CUSA now.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, BB, I agree with much of what you've said here. There are several things luck did that I do not agree with, but he is an effective leader. WVU has been blessed with some really good ADs, who have led the athletic department well and represented WVU admirably. I get really pissed at the ones who dismiss the past, I celebrate the past accomplishments, WVU getting into the BE was key to getting name recognition, had that not happened, we would likely be in CUSA now.

Ahh..you must mean me DAD...sorry..what Luck did in 4.5 years pales on comparison to what King EDDIE did for 20 plus!...it's not even close....

Wv if you bothered to read the article has 106 million dollars in facility upgrades going on...he did that in 4.5 years....

This is what Eddie accomplished in 23 years!...........

During his tenure at West Virginia, Pastilong has overseen the construction for stadium luxury boxes, a gymnastics performance center, new soccer fields, an outdoor track surface, lights for the baseball stadium, and new tennis courts.

Throw in your assertion he had something to do with getting into the BE..that's it!!

Here was King Eddie's vision and priorities for WV Athletics on his departure....

"I think the next focus has to be a new natatorium," Pastilong said. "Since the one we have (opened in 1975) was built, it hasn't been enlarged. (Coach) Vic Riggs is doing a really good job with the program.

"We need to roll up our sleeves and get a 50-meter pool. It's going to help us a lot of ways, and we're in an area where you can recruit a lot of good swimmers. That should be next on our to-do list, in my opinion."

Are you friggin kidding me!!!..:omg:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh..you must mean me DAD...sorry..what Luck did in 4.5 years pales on comparison to what King EDDIE did for 20 plus!...it's not even close....

Wv if you bothered to read the article has 106 million dollars in facility upgrades going on...he did that in 4.5 years....

This is what Eddie accomplished in 23 years!...........

During his tenure at West Virginia, Pastilong has overseen the construction for stadium luxury boxes, a gymnastics performance center, new soccer fields, an outdoor track surface, lights for the baseball stadium, and new tennis courts.

Throw in your assertion he had something to do with getting into the BE..that's it!!

Here was King Eddie's vision and priorities for WV Athletics on his departure....

"I think the next focus has to be a new natatorium," Pastilong said. "Since the one we have (opened in 1975) was built, it hasn't been enlarged. (Coach) Vic Riggs is doing a really good job with the program.

"We need to roll up our sleeves and get a 50-meter pool. It's going to help us a lot of ways, and we're in an area where you can recruit a lot of good swimmers. That should be next on our to-do list, in my opinion."

Are you friggin kidding me!!!..:omg:
Just unreal, you give luck credit for getting in the B12, but don't give credit to Pastilong for getting in the BE?????? OK, if you say so............:lol: