• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Battlefield 1

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've had the game for a few weeks now and thought I'd share my thoughts (as the self-proclaimed battlefield fanboy and expert).

The game itself is just gorgeous. They did a great job with the design of the game, guns and animations. The sound is particularly nice (especially when sniping people). It looks and sounds great.

The gameplay is fun and the vehicles work really well for this kind of format. The problem with modern Battlefield games is that it's hard to nerf things like tanks and jets to make them not overpowered. But with WW1 equipment, everything is a bit slower and more manual so it works well. The planes are fun, especially being a gunner, and the three types really balance each other out (though I think the bomber is a bit of a bullet sponge). The tanks are pretty powerful but slow and require many people inside of them to work well.

The maps they created are OK but to me, they often blend together. A few of them tend to be a little too small and cramped, so the battle is mostly over the center capture point (in Conquest mode) and that gets a little boring. The game will likely improve significantly with more DLC content and maps.

Onto my biggest complaint about the game -- there's nothing to upgrade. Like...nothing. While the game developers added in plenty of weapons, and those weapons actually have a multiple different options within them, as soon as you buy the weapon (with currency earned from leveling up) you unlock everything. Unlike previous battlefield games, even Hardline, there's absolutely no purpose in playing a particular weapon. There's no attachments to unlock, there's no skins to hope for, nothing. The skins are won by random draw through battlepacks. You can't purchase every weapon from the start, you need to level up the class, but once you hit level 3 in any class (which doesn't take long) you can purchase basically any weapon in the game. So everyone has purchased the best few guns in the game and that's that. There's nothing left to upgrade.

The same goes for the vehicles. There's a couple of attachments you can unlock but after that, nothing. There's not nothing to unlock.

So while the game is incredibly fun to play, I think at a certain point people will have everything the game has to offer and there won't be anything to make players want to continue grinding out to get a certain gun or feature. There are still weapons on BF4 that I haven't unlocked, despite being level 130. In this game, you get to level 20 and you pretty much have it all. I'm not sure why, at minimum, they didn't make you level up a gun to get it's different attachments. So I'm hoping they do something with DLC packs to fix this because otherwise the game is great.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gameplay is fun and the vehicles work really well for this kind of format. The problem with modern Battlefield games is that it's hard to nerf things like tanks and jets to make them not overpowered. But with WW1 equipment, everything is a bit slower and more manual so it works well. The planes are fun, especially being a gunner, and the three types really balance each other out (though I think the bomber is a bit of a bullet sponge). The tanks are pretty powerful but slow and require many people inside of them to work well.
That was the first thing I thought when I heard the theme change: its a brilliant way to nerf things without upsetting people.

All of the initial reports have this as the multiplayer game of the year as far as I can tell. I think EA did a real disservice to Titanfall 2

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the first thing I thought when I heard the theme change: its a brilliant way to nerf things without upsetting people.

All of the initial reports have this as the multiplayer game of the year as far as I can tell. I think EA did a real disservice to Titanfall 2
The multiplayer is fun, but like I said above, I really hope they add some challenges for weapon upgrades to add to the longevity of the game. I also wish there was more of an emphasis on single shot/bolt action rifles compared to automatics. It seems a lot of the guns used in the game by most players are experimental or not really used in the original war. Which is OK, but it's a bit odd to have a WWI game where everyone's running around with automatics.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The multiplayer is fun, but like I said above, I really hope they add some challenges for weapon upgrades to add to the longevity of the game. I also wish there was more of an emphasis on single shot/bolt action rifles compared to automatics. It seems a lot of the guns used in the game by most players are experimental or not really used in the original war. Which is OK, but it's a bit odd to have a WWI game where everyone's running around with automatics.
I figured everyone would be running around with gas and shotguns and/or anti vehicle assault stuff.

That said, I dont think anyone was expecting a WWI sim so autos are fine with most people I imagine.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured everyone would be running around with gas and shotguns and/or anti vehicle assault stuff.

That said, I dont think anyone was expecting a WWI sim so autos are fine with most people I imagine.
It actually plays well but I think the classes need some balancing. Usually there's multiple ways to kill a tank and currently only one class, the class that also gets the best sub machine guns, has the ability to take out a tank with explosives. The support class does get a timed bomb, but you only get one and you need at least two or three to take out a tank completely. So you also have to carry the ammo box with that in order to have any shot at taking a tank out. The medic and sniper have no shot at taking a tank out. And usually the sniper has some form of explosive. The biggest problem is that everyone is just running around with the same class using the same gun.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually plays well but I think the classes need some balancing. Usually there's multiple ways to kill a tank and currently only one class, the class that also gets the best sub machine guns, has the ability to take out a tank with explosives. The support class does get a timed bomb, but you only get one and you need at least two or three to take out a tank completely. So you also have to carry the ammo box with that in order to have any shot at taking a tank out. The medic and sniper have no shot at taking a tank out. And usually the sniper has some form of explosive. The biggest problem is that everyone is just running around with the same class using the same gun.
Honestly, that sounds like a total dealbreaker. If it's as bad as you say then it needs to be patched.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just started playing this... Multiplayer only so far. Not a huge fan yet, as there a few major differences in gameplay from the COD games that I'm so used to. This is my first Battlefield experience, but here are a few observations:

1) Sniping seems to be my preferred choice for load-outs depending on the map. But even medium to close-range maps I can effectively deal a lot of damage with iron-sighted rifles (currently using the SMLE Infantry). However my biggest gripe with the shooting is how you absolutely cannot move or strafe. Any sort of movement while aiming renders the gun almost useless. You may get the occasional hit but it rarely gives a kill. Hard habit to break from all my years of gunnin on the move in Halo & COD. I'd use the assault class more but the recoil is a beyotch on the stock option (haven't tried others yet) and I hate how slow you move when aiming. I find I do a majority of my killing by hipfire because of that. I'm sure the weapons get a lot better as you level up, but for now I'll stick with scout.

2) Some maps are ridiculously big. But it makes sense for how many people there are in a match. Just annoys me with travel times when you get screwed out of a vehicle at the start. I prefer the medium range & smaller, and there only seems to be 2 maps like that.

3) Vehicles are annoying as shit. Mainly the horses. I've unloaded many bullets into those bastards and nothing takes them down unless you have multiple teammates shooting at the same time. But if someone is smart enough riding a horse they can circle the map all game long and rack up 60-100 kills. Pretty annoying. Last time I checked, a single bullet is quite deadly to a horse so its incredibly unrealistic, especially in a game where most everything else is based in realism.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres no chance for money in battlefield.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upgraded to the SMLE Carbine in the Scout class... absolutely love it.