• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baseball > Football

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Officiating is also simply better in baseball. Flat out.

And it's really not close.
Are you saying a QB is hands down more important than a single starter in the NBA?

I agree that the QB is important. But not compared to a superstar in the NBA. Marino and Tarkenton were absolute studs who never had the supporting cast to do anything. The QB is ultimately just 1 of 53 (1 of 22 starters). A superstar in the NBA is one of 15 (12 per game, 1 of 5 starters).

Or were you quoting me in error? :)

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying a QB is hands down more important than a single starter in the NBA?

I agree that the QB is important. But not compared to a superstar in the NBA. Marino and Tarkenton were absolute studs who never had the supporting cast to do anything. The QB is ultimately just 1 of 53 (1 of 22 starters). A superstar in the NBA is one of 15 (12 per game, 1 of 5 starters).

No I'm saying those clown car idiots in zebra stripes for those 2 less than straight leagues (they have major slanted views of their competitions) can't hold a candle to baseball umpires.

Even when they're allowed to take half an hour to choose whether to review a play or not, baseball umps still are right more often than they're wrong and most of those are those stupid did he keep a toe on the bag while trying to stand up after clearly being safe during the actual baseball play.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I'm saying those clown car idiots in zebra stripes for those 2 less than straight leagues (they have major slanted views of their competitions) can't hold a candle to baseball umpires.

Even when they're allowed to take half an hour to choose whether to review a play or not, baseball umps still are right more often than they're wrong and most of those are those stupid did he keep a toe on the bag while trying to stand up after clearly being safe during the actual baseball play.
Gotcha.

However, the refs did get Amandolas catch right in the game on Sunday. How in the hell did they make that call?

But yea, officiating in the .NBA is actually one of the primary reasons I am not a fan. It is 90% subjective. Less so, but still objective in the NFL as well.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha.

However, the refs did get Amandolas catch right in the game on Sunday. How in the hell did they make that call?

But yea, officiating in the .NBA is actually one of the primary reasons I am not a fan. It is 90% subjective. Less so, but still objective in the NFL as well.

I didn't watch. The NFL and NCAAF are both terrible products now, and the idiot stripes are a major factor in that. A MAJOR FACTOR.

I got enough texts about how awful they were sunday. one good call doesn't negate everything. They're abominations in both sports.

They had a slanted view from the start, so I'm not surprised with how things ended.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha.

It was Edelman

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, and I'm a Pats fan. Nothing like the spring, summer, fall routine of watching baseball every night. Super Bowl Sunday, then we had Truck Day Monday, then parade today.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha.

However, the refs did get Edelmans catch right in the game on Sunday. How in the hell did they make that call?
The answer is that the refs should never call it incomplete so they can review it.

I wouldn't say the refs are significantly better in the MLB than they are in the NBA. Dat strike zone matters a lot but a lot of perceived slights in strike zones comes from mlb TV tech giving people data inconsistent with what the players see. That said, I'd say 1 in 10 baseball games has at least a couple of questionable strike/ball calls that will ruffle anyone's feathers.

The difference between the NBA and the others from an entertainment standpoint is that the star always decides the game in the NBA because they move the ball to halfcourt on timeouts. While interesting on one end, its enormously boring on the other end to watch teams endlessly foul and go to the FT line. So the refs maybe seem like they come into play too much though I feel like they've gotten better when it comes to contact fouls but maybe thats just me.

The NFL has holding on almost every play at times. Watching the Super Bowl was like watching various degrees of defensive pass interference and wondering which ones will get called.

The NFL also has to deal with how important penalties are in a single elimination game where down and distance is everything. You have fans looking at clear penalties and thinking that they should just let them go all of the time.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, the dismal and ongoing lack of NBA parity ensures that the teams who are supposed to make the playoffs actually make it. There's no need for any serious officiating to see that happens. It just ... does. When you have one or two teams winning 90 percent of their games, there's obviously a joke involved here. Refs can't really make much difference with that sort of absurdity, so it's just as well that they don't bother to try.

To be fair to football refs, I think that's a very difficult sport to officiate.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is that the refs should never call it incomplete so they can review it.

I wouldn't say the refs are significantly better in the MLB than they are in the NBA. Dat strike zone matters a lot but a lot of perceived slights in strike zones comes from mlb TV tech giving people data inconsistent with what the players see. That said, I'd say 1 in 10 baseball games has at least a couple of questionable strike/ball calls that will ruffle anyone's feathers.

The difference between the NBA and the others from an entertainment standpoint is that the star always decides the game in the NBA because they move the ball to halfcourt on timeouts. While interesting on one end, its enormously boring on the other end to watch teams endlessly foul and go to the FT line. So the refs maybe seem like they come into play too much though I feel like they've gotten better when it comes to contact fouls but maybe thats just me.

The NFL has holding on almost every play at times. Watching the Super Bowl was like watching various degrees of defensive pass interference and wondering which ones will get called.

The NFL also has to deal with how important penalties are in a single elimination game where down and distance is everything. You have fans looking at clear penalties and thinking that they should just let them go all of the time.

Which is a problem because neither is called consistently. Meaning someone is basically always getting the short end of the stick.

It's flat out unacceptable IMO.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, the dismal and ongoing lack of NBA parity ensures that the teams who are supposed to make the playoffs actually make it. There's no need for any serious officiating to see that happens. It just ... does. When you have one or two teams winning 90 percent of their games, there's obviously a joke involved here. Refs can't really make much difference with that sort of absurdity, so it's just as well that they don't bother to try.

To be fair to football refs, I think that's a very difficult sport to officiate.

But the nba playoffs.....an embarrassment.

Maybe it's gotten better since 2010, but I seriously, seriously doubt it.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL has DH...pussy ass rule. Football >>> AL

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, when baseball puts me to sleep I dream of all the fairness, and that is what matters the most.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, if anything, the MLB business model is to shove a form of entertainment down our throats wherein we now have the roving blonde who finds the mom and stepdad of Pitcher A, who's in his first game. "How excited are you?" she asks.

I mean, really ... the chick who does the "sidelines" for the Brewers needs to be sent to Green Bay where she can do the Packers ... and work the microphone too, I suppose.

At least back in the day, the camera crew at Wrigley Field used to go looking for babes ... pretending they were after "Arnie's hat shots."

I would love to watch a game on TV that just did the baseball, not the bullshit. It's why I spend more time watching minor league ball.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, when baseball puts me to sleep I dream of all the fairness, and that is what matters the most.

Better than having the clown car idiots ignore the rules to try and let a team stay close or get back into the game.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better than having the clown car idiots ignore the rules to try and let a team stay close or get back into the game.

No argument here. I love naps!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16112991_1334531289903266_3126726898429036857_o.jpg

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash