• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baseball > Football

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL Playoffs were a great reminder of why Baseball is the greatest game that has ever been invented. There are no 50 yard field goals in Baseball, you have to cross home plate to score, there are no coin flips before extra innings, therefore no team ever lost without getting their fair chance to score, and the clock cannot save you in Baseball, because there is no clock. Football is a great distraction for the time in between the World Series and Spring Training, but nothing comes close to our National Pastime.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL Playoffs were a great reminder of why Baseball is the greatest game that has ever been invented. There are no 50 yard field goals in Baseball, you have to cross home plate to score, there are no coin flips before extra innings, therefore no team ever lost without getting their fair chance to score, and the clock cannot save you in Baseball, because there is no clock. Football is a great distraction for the time in between the World Series and Spring Training, but nothing comes close to our National Pastime.

BINGO.

We have bingo.

MLB also has easily the superior officials.

And they have way less of impact on the game as the clown car idiots the NFL and NCAA employ.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also far more parity in baseball

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unplug the goddamned replay cameras and give me back my game.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parity.jpg

NFL has that parity tho

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but both sports are exciting to watch. Last night's game though of football was pretty much as exciting as you could ask for.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but both sports are exciting to watch. Last night's game though of football was pretty much as exciting as you could ask for.
I thought the first 3/4 of the game was boring but the last 1/4 was pretty amazing.

Anyways, OP is spot on. Baseball doesn't have a time limit and isnt single elimination.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
water = wet

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parity.jpg

NFL has that parity tho

Jayson Stark destroys the rumor that the NFL has more parity than baseball with a column every year.

But masses are laughably stupid so they still try to claim the NFL has more parity because of their artificial, anti-american salary cap.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jayson Stark destroys the rumor that the NFL has more parity than baseball with a column every year.

But masses are laughably stupid so they still try to claim the NFL has more parity because of their artificial, anti-american salary cap.
I just ignore the cap now and bluntly state in a sport where the Dodgers outspend some teams by 200M than a sport with a salary cap. I think that's more embarrassing.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just ignore the cap now and bluntly state in a sport where the Dodgers outspend some teams by 200M than a sport with a salary cap. I think that's more embarrassing.

What's embarrassing is that they haven't won jack shit.

a cap just helps the owners save money. If you think it's honestly about competitive balance I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Half these bazillionaires just want the free suite to impress people in and keep rocking absurd capital gains each year with almost no risk.

That's why we have bad owners. Because they really don't care that much about the on field product as long as it's generating cash for them.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's embarrassing is that they haven't won jack shit.

a cap just helps the owners save money. If you think it's honestly about competitive balance I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Half these bazillionaires just want the free suite to impress people in and keep rocking absurd capital gains each year with almost no risk.

That's why we have bad owners. Because they really don't care that much about the on field product as long as it's generating cash for them.
I don't disagree about the purpose of the cap. Just expressing my bemusement at inverting the pro NFL-parity argument.​

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The ownership groups in baseball are far better than they were in the 1930s through the 50s. Operations like the Boston Braves and the Philly teams and the Browns ... these franchises were lucky to draw 150,000 fans for a whole season. They fucked the players like streetwalkers. Of course, that was long before mass marketing, so attendance paid the bills. The less the attendance, the worse the talent ...

For what it's worth, the free market has made for more exciting baseball, at least since the 1980s, which was the best decade ever for the sport.

That doesn't mean we can't still laugh at the teams in LaLa Land.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ownership groups in baseball are far better than they were in the 1930s through the 50s. Operations like the Boston Braves and the Philly teams and the Browns ... these franchises were lucky to draw 150,000 fans for a whole season. They fucked the players like streetwalkers. Of course, that was long before mass marketing, so attendance paid the bills. The less the attendance, the worse the talent ...

For what it's worth, the free market has made for more exciting baseball, at least since the 1980s, which was the best decade ever for the sport.

That doesn't mean we can't still laugh at the teams in LaLa Land.

I was referring to owners in all pro sports leagues.

As a recovering Titans fan (although I haven't watched the NFL in years because it's a worthless, garbage product) I know more about bad ownership than anyone.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably agree with this except my team just won the super bowl. So nahhhh.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to owners in all pro sports leagues.

well, yeah ... the Wirtz family that owned the Blackhawks were the poster children for stupid ownership. And the beanbrain that owned the Clippers ... but I don't much care about those other sports, though it's clear the Browns either have bad owners or stupid employees.

The idea of parity in the NFL is the product of a farce. A few teams won the Lombardi for years but lately, the same teams are winning everything.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea of parity in the NFL is the product of a farce. A few teams won the Lombardi for years but lately, the same teams are winning everything.
I think parity shows up on defense. Its really hard to keep an elite level NFL defense together with the way the salary cap works.

The problem is that the QB is so very important. A guy like Brady probably has a WAR or 3 or 4 in a 16 game season. In baseball, a decent player might have a WAR of 3 or 4 in a 160+ game season so a QB is maybe 5-10 times more important than any player in baseball. The NFL has no chance at parity when something like that exists.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think parity shows up on defense. Its really hard to keep an elite level NFL defense together with the way the salary cap works.

The problem is that the QB is so very important. A guy like Brady probably has a WAR or 3 or 4 in a 16 game season. In baseball, a decent player might have a WAR of 3 or 4 in a 160+ game season so a QB is maybe 5-10 times more important than any player in baseball. The NFL has no chance at parity when something like that exists.
Same issue in Basketball. What is LBJs WAR. KDs? Steph's?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same issue in Basketball. What is LBJs WAR. KDs? Steph's?

Officiating is also simply better in baseball. Flat out.

And it's really not close.