• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BA: 2014 Phillies top 10 prospects

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the first four guys on that list but the rest are meh

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the rest are very good. MAG had a lot of hype, but arm issues were a concern. so if he doesn't get hurt, who knows how high his ceiling can get?

carlos tocci was only 17 last year and already playing A ball. he's just a kid from venezuela who was playing rookie ball at 16 (and hit .278.) he obviously has no power yet for his age. he's barely 160lbs. also, doesn't help him much he's playing mostly against guys that are 2, 3, 4, 5 years older than him. but he is extremely talented defensively already. and by the time he hits just 21 years old, he'll have 5 years experience in the minors.

severino gonzalez is a guy i've been big on and mentioned a few times. 15-9, 1.88 era, 234 strikeouts and only 31 walks. he recently turned 21. he's probably the player i'm most excited about right now.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really need Crawford or Quinn to make some steps forward this year. Infielders are tough to replace outside the organization. I guess the future could be Hernandez at 2b and Galvis SS but I'd like to see one of these SS step up and show some offensive ability. Also, those stats about the Phillies organization having one of the worst k/bb ratios in baseball is scary. I don't even know what a pitching coordinator is, but I'm glad the Phillies fired theirs.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really need Crawford or Quinn to make some steps forward this year. Infielders are tough to replace outside the organization. I guess the future could be Hernandez at 2b and Galvis SS but I'd like to see one of these SS step up and show some offensive ability. Also, those stats about the Phillies organization having one of the worst k/bb ratios in baseball is scary. I don't even know what a pitching coordinator is, but I'm glad the Phillies fired theirs.

I don't think Freddy or Cesar will be future starters, especially Freddy - so hopefully those other guys can make the next steps

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone dislike Cesar Hernandez?

i think most people want superstars. i want guys who can play. if they turn out to be one, great. if not, nothing wrong with a strong bench player.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone dislike Cesar Hernandez?

It's not a dislike for me, I like him, but if we're talking about guys who are going to change this organization in a positive manner, I don't see how he's going to be one of the keys to the turnaround - they need serious impact players, not just nice little utility guys that COULD start

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phils need to keep Hernandez .289 and very good at 2b and CF. Dump Galvis .230.

Can we get rid of Michael Martinez first? Until he gets dumped there isn't a single other player I want to see leave this team. (Note, I didn't say there aren't other players I don't want to see leave, but Mini Mart should've been gone 2 years ago).

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we get rid of Michael Martinez first? Until he gets dumped there isn't a single other player I want to see leave this team. (Note, I didn't say there aren't other players I don't want to see leave, but Mini Mart should've been gone 2 years ago).

I thought rumor had it that Martinez would be dumped. Dump him, Galvis and JMJ.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I just thought you guys here would want to know this.

Phillies minor leaguer Roman Quinn ruptured his Achilles’ tendon while doing offseason workouts and is out indefinitely, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com
Quinn is a 20-year-old shortstop and 2011 second-round draft pick who just last week ranked fifth on Baseball America‘s annual list of the Phillies’ top prospects. Salisbury reports that Quinn has already undergone surgery. He previously missed the entire second half of this year after a hit by pitch left him with a fractured wrist.
It’s possible that Quinn could miss the entire 2014 season and as a prospect whose game is based largely on speed and athleticism the injury is particularly worrisome.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not a dislike for me, I like him, but if we're talking about guys who are going to change this organization in a positive manner, I don't see how he's going to be one of the keys to the turnaround - they need serious impact players, not just nice little utility guys that COULD start

He's 23, hit for a good average and had a good OBP. The Phillies need consistent, young production. Hernandez provided some of that. Always reaching for the big impact players usually results in shitty contracts and failed plans.

If you can have Revere and Hernandez hit for average, Brown hit for power, and Asche improve his average/OBP/SLG a bit and you have four cheap and young players providing production to counter the age and expense from the rest of the roster. If Ruf can contribute, that is five cheap players.

The Phillies need this more than desperately searching for an "impact player."

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 23, hit for a good average and had a good OBP. The Phillies need consistent, young production. Hernandez provided some of that. Always reaching for the big impact players usually results in shitty contracts and failed plans.

If you can have Revere and Hernandez hit for average, Brown hit for power, and Asche improve his average/OBP/SLG a bit and you have four cheap and young players providing production to counter the age and expense from the rest of the roster. If Ruf can contribute, that is five cheap players.

The Phillies need this more than desperately searching for an "impact player."

I just have a hard time believing those guys can be impact players on this team - and it won't mean squat if they don't improve the pitching - the starting pitching was trash and the bullpen wasn't much better

I'm all for the Phillies doing whatever it takes to improve this roster, on a team that went 73-89 there shouldn't be very many untouchables, or guys that you really need desperately - if you have to move some of those guys to get bigger and better talent, guys who can come up big time in big moments, you have to do it