• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B10 officiating is horrible

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving on ... ohio state fans don't need to make fun of us because of this thread ... close it down.
What I don't seem to understand here is why anyone thinks this has to do with the OSU loss? I can complain about the reffing and not have it be about our most recent loss. Am I only allowed to post complaints about refs when we win? Are you never allowed to suggest that the refs are bad?

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try viewing the game from the ref's perspective in any sport. Think about yourself on a lateral plane surrounded by a bunch of gargantuans. And now realize how easy it is to miss something or to get something wrong. They don't have the luxury of an overhead view, slo-mo or zoomed camera angles on every play.

I generally think the refs do the best they can. Where I get angry is with the replays. Every time I hear an announcer say "indisputable video evidence" I cringe and it feels like that rarely holds true.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree wholeheartedly — fans of any team think they are getting screwed. In MnB’s defense on this — the original article I believe he got the numbers from was a writer from the Toronto Sun, who wrote an article about it.

It does seem extremely odd that in 2 years, UM, with the quality of players they have had on the DL and the amount of blitzing they do, opposing teams have only had 2 holds called against them. In the same time, PSU and OSU opponents have been called for 9 each.

Personally, I really have no clue, as I don’t pay all that much attention and would have had no clue if an article hadn’t been written about it. But when you see the numbers — it seems like something is wrong with that?
Exactly my point. In examining the data as a whole throughout the last two years, unspecific to any particular game, there's clearly an issue. What that is, I do not know. But I think it's reasonable to complain about the refs with two years of data like that; especially because that includes 18 games in which we've won.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try viewing the game from the ref's perspective in any sport. Think about yourself on a lateral plane surrounded by a bunch of gargantuans. And now realize how easy it is to miss something or to get something wrong. They don't have the luxury of an overhead view, slo-mo or zoomed camera angles on every play.

I generally think the refs do the best they can. Where I get angry is with the replays. Every time I hear an announcer say "indisputable video evidence" I cringe and it feels like that rarely holds true.
Maybe if there was 1 single ref you'd have a point. But there are EIGHT officials on the field during Div1 CFB games. And you've brought up another point, how is it possible the replay officials get so many calls wrong when they have the ability to look at it on a screen? There needs to be some sort of repercussion for blowing calls so badly that you, as a ref, have the ability to review.

See:

DO7wvN0WsAA3VZo.jpg:large

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't seem to understand here is why anyone thinks this has to do with the OSU loss? I can complain about the reffing and not have it be about our most recent loss. Am I only allowed to post complaints about refs when we win? Are you never allowed to suggest that the refs are bad?

For every play that is missed, I can show you 10+ plays that weren't (no I am not wasting my time looking up every play - I have no desire to relive "that game"). Yes, actually if you complain that we got calls in our favor after we win ...it's shows more class (don't expect that from osu fans).

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, this is going to relate to Michigan. But in general, the officiating across the board the past few years has been atrocious. Many games are called so one sided it makes them unwatchable.

In relation to Michigan -- we can hopefully all agree that Michigan's defensive line has been one of the best units in the B10, if not the nation, the past two seasons. Well:

Gary on lack of OL holding calls: "I don't got no comment"

"B10 refs have flagged UM’s opposing conf. offensive lines (18 games) only twice over the past two seasons. Twice. Hurst was never held, as the conference sees it. And Michigan’s OL on pass plays in ‘17 conf games? Flagged 9 times. OSU’s & PSU’s? Once each in ‘17."

When you have blatant shit like this happening that isn't being called, it's frustrating:

It's hard to not put on a tin foil hat and suggest the conference has something out for Michigan. But I'm wondering if they've put too much effort into looking for things like targeting that they've slipped when looking for the normal stuff. In any event, it's ruining the experience for fans.

You have to give props to OSU OL on that play — he was like fuck it, I got beat and I’m getting flagged for holding so I’m not letting go, even when Hurst turns to run the other way.:lol:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to give props to OSU OL on that play — he was like fuck it, I got beat and I’m getting flagged for holding so I’m not letting go, even when Hurst turns to run the other way.:lol:
That's why it was used as an example in the article, not to try and blame the loss on that holding call or lack of penalties. It was such a blatant call and penalty by the OL because he was doing just as you said, got beat and said fuck it I'll get a penalty.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if there was 1 single ref you'd have a point. But there are EIGHT officials on the field during Div1 CFB games. And you've brought up another point, how is it possible the replay officials get so many calls wrong when they have the ability to look at it on a screen? There needs to be some sort of repercussion for blowing calls so badly that you, as a ref, have the ability to review.

See:

DO7wvN0WsAA3VZo.jpg:large
It has to be indisputable video evidence. Even in a blown up freeze frame you cannot say with certainty he got his foot down. If he had dragged his foot, then you would have seen evidence. With the shadows, they weren’t overturning that call.

I have zero sympathy for CFP WR’s — you only have to get one foot down. The refs made the right call on DPJ’s — if they had called it a TD, then it would have stayed a TD. It is what it is.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to be clear, this isn't relating specifically to OSU. I'm not blaming any loss on the refs (this year). But it's been bad all year, from Rutgers to Ohio State. Our line has been held for two straight seasons and we've gotten two calls. To reiterate, two.

I know a lot of my post was about Michigan, but I've watched a lot of non-Michigan B10 this year and the refs are horrible in most of those games. Major calls just getting blown.

Look at the opponent penalty ranking:
cfbstats.com - 2017 Big Ten Conference Team Leaders

isn't it a bit suspicious that the best teams in the B10, minus Penn State, all find themselves at the bottom of this list?

See the post above. I regret using the OSU clip now because people seem to be confused about my point. It has nothing to do with one game, but a trend over the past two years. I'm not blaming a loss on refs this year, I'm suggesting there is an overall issue with how calls are being made. The evidence I stated is pretty clear -- two holding calls against in the past two seasons combined. How is that possible? We had a few NFL lineman last year, and surely a few NFL lineman this year and someone is going to tell me that they were only held once all season for the past two years? That's a problem -- if not specifically directed at Michigan, it's a problem with how they're calling or looking for calls in B10 games.

God damn it. You still aren't understanding. To repeat -- I'm not blaming the refs for any particular loss (except last year when we beat OSU but that's another topic). I'm talking about the overall incompetence of the B10 refs the past few years in general, in all wins and losses. I'm also happy with my team and coach but think the B10 needs to up their standards in the refs -- and even consider making them full time positions where they do nothing else.

Why is this so hard for people? This has nothing to do with Ohio State. We lost that game because our 3rd string QB was not good enough. Simple as that. In wins and losses this year blatant calls have been missed, and that's also for OSU as well. There's a ref problem in the B10.

Question: Why even take the bike out of the garage if all you're going to do is back pedal?

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So what you are saying is, you want this saved for the end of the season meltdown thread?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Why even take the bike out of the garage if all you're going to do is back pedal?
What part am I back-peddling on? The only thing relating to OSU in this entire thread is the clip I posted as an example from the OSU game.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you are saying is, you want this saved for the end of the season meltdown thread?
I'm not melting down. No kids have been wished ill upon.

I was hopefully suggesting a problem many fans experienced this year so we could all bitch about how shitty the B10 refs were.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's horrible because every call defaults to whatever works in Ohio State's favor.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part am I back-peddling on? The only thing relating to OSU in this entire thread is the clip I posted as an example from the OSU game.

The back pedaling obviously is that the OP doesn't directly relate to your loss to OSU.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The back pedaling obviously is that the OP doesn't directly relate to your loss to OSU.
It doesn't. We lost because John OKorn was our QB. I very much already stated that. The officiating wasn't even all that bad in the OSU game. There were certain calls (like the ones posted). I actually had a much bigger issue with the officiating in some of our wins.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was hopefully suggesting a problem many fans experienced this year so we could all bitch about how shitty the B10 refs were.
Ask PAC12 fans about their officials.
Ask Big12 fans about their officials.
Ask non-Bama fans about their officials.
They all think their officials are the worst.

The problem is after every single loss, MnB, you come in here blaming the officials for some wrong that has been committed against Michigan.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When my team has a play (especially a big play) negated by holding, illegal formation, ect, I don't say "those shitty B10 refs!" I say "god-damnnit-fucking young ass inexperienced Iowa line!"

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't. We lost because John OKorn was our QB. I very much already stated that. The officiating wasn't even all that bad in the OSU game. There were certain calls (like the ones posted). I actually had a much bigger issue with the officiating in some of our wins.

So then is it too late to delete this thread?

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask PAC12 fans about their officials.
Ask Big12 fans about their officials.
Ask non-Bama fans about their officials.
They all think their officials are the worst.

The problem is after every single loss, MnB, you come in here blaming the officials for some wrong that has been committed against Michigan.
Go back and look at OSU game threads and watch for the combo of MAIZE AND DAYNE - all ref bashing, all the time.