• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ayton commits to AZ

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 1 DeAndre Ayton commits to Arizona

A lot of the AZ basketball private forums and insiders seemed to put him in Lawrence, so I think it's a bigger shock for Tucson than just landing our first #1 recruit. The fact that he is playing in PHX and his family can go to games was a big factor for him.

All of that being said, I've seen too many ways that this doesn't go as planned. I hope he keeps his decision, stays healthy, gets on campus next year ready to bear down, and works hard. His decision could keep some guys around for next year who might be thinking about leaving, and help the '17 recruiting class.

Lots of sand left in the hour-glass, but the anxiety of his potential is a great problem to have for the next year plus.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Derski

This is why I don't fuck with PGU private forum.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For real.

I've heard that there are some questions about eligibility, so that will be something to keep an eye on. But it looks like he really wants it. His mom is pushing him to go to college instead of playing overseas. Hopefully they can keep him in the books through Dec, '17.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that there are some questions about eligibility, so that will be something to keep an eye on. But it looks like he really wants it. His mom is pushing him to go to college instead of playing overseas. Hopefully they can keep him in the books through Dec, '17.
Yeah his eligibility uncertainty will always be in the back of my head until he enrolls.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah his eligibility uncertainty will always be in the back of my head until he enrolls.

Exactly.

Still, 7'0" 235 with a shot, and a 7'4" wingspan? His standing reach is 9'4". This is going to fuck with me for the next 12 months. Hoping for the best.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy right now.

Him and Barcello are both immediate impact players and from local HS's here in Arizona. This reminds me of those old school Arizona days where the elite HS prospects (whenever they popped up) always stayed home in AZ.

BEAR DOWN

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy right now.

Him and Barcello are both immediate impact players and from local HS's here in Arizona. This reminds me of those old school Arizona days where the elite HS prospects (whenever they popped up) always stayed home in AZ.

BEAR DOWN

Barcello looks like he will be a good 4-year guy and upperclassman leader in a few years. I'm hoping we can have a good floor general before his jr year.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats.

Crystal Balls on 247 had 88% to KU and 12% to UK. Recruiting at times is way too crazy to predict.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats.

Crystal Balls on 247 had 88% to KU and 12% to UK. Recruiting at times is way too crazy to predict.

That was the consensus all along. Apparently he wasn't even supposed to announce until next spring. Until a couple months ago, KU was the only school he was even looking at.

But I think his mom is really stressing going to college, and with the proximity of his home to Tucson, it turned into AZ's favor pretty quick.

I can't emphasize enough how much of a surprise this is. I looked at some of the AZ forums where people boast about the accuracy of their recruiting info, and no one saw this coming. A couple people might have called it when he officially added AZ, but more than likely they were just AZ homers. The threads I saw talking about his recruitment were pretty depressing... until today.

Maybe Miller sweet-talked his mom.

In general, I don't think much about recruiting until they commit. Then I give only two fucks until they put on the jersey and I can see them play with the team.

Hahaha, I've gotten burned too many times with a lot of talk and hype, and then for one reason or another, it falls through. With Ayton's eligibility issues lurking, I'm cautiously optimistic. Good news is that he has a whole year to do what he needs to do to be on campus in a year.

We're celebrating our 20th anniversary of the '97 NC team, and last year was 15 years since we made a FF, so whether AZ fans want to acknowledge it or not, Miller's string of EE's has a shelf life. We've definitely been banging on the door, and have had good success in the draft and the Pac, but it's flat out been too long since we were NC good. All of that being said, I don't think Miller is anywhere close to the hot seat, and he couldn't control what happened from the end of Lute to his tenure.

But Ayton working out as an eventual #1 draft pick, what that could do for recruiting, and the success it might bring could be what Miller needs to break through the door of playing in the first weekend in April. Lots and lots of ifs, but it's good to be in the position. Hopefully it works out.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barcello looks like he will be a good 4-year guy and upperclassman leader in a few years. I'm hoping we can have a good floor general before his jr year.

Yeah, I see a lot of that TJ McConnell type of fire and passion in Barcello's game. I think he is going to be a terrific college guard, and with the weapons Miller is putting around him he should have no trouble succeeding right away.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy right now.

BEAR DOWN
I am beyond excited to have Barcello. Been watching him for like two years. When I think of what he could be as an upperclassmen I think McConnell 2.0 with a better J.

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice pick up for Arizona. If he can get eligible Arizona should definitely be considered a top 5 team with final four aspirations.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice pick up for Arizona. If he can get eligible Arizona should definitely be considered a top 5 team with final four aspirations.

That is what scares me the most. Especially with what happened to Ferguson two seconds ago... fresh in my mind.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what scares me the most. Especially with what happened to Ferguson two seconds ago... fresh in my mind.

Yep, if I remember correctly there was some talk about this kid's academics and whether he would just skip college and go straight to the Pros in Europe or somewhere. But he has big time potential.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The eligibility issue is clearly the largest hurdle. With how many recruits I've seen hyped up and not deliver (even just at AZ), it's no wonder we're all skeptical. I'm still salty from Brandon Jennings, let alone Sidiki Johnson, Josiah Turner, and now Ferguson.

I think the path is certainly there for Ayton to get eligible, or Miller wouldn't fuck with him (especially after Ferguson).

The problem is that all of it hinges on what a 17 year old kid actually wants to do when the going gets tough.

For that reason, and regardless of this situation or any other, I just can't get too confident on what's going to happen until a recruit is wearing the jersey, on the court, and helping the team.