• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Average Joe's Quick Slant

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good catch. I'll have the editor fix that. Thank you, Sammy!
Leave it to me to find the negative in something good.................I couldn't remember who traded picks with who so I actually googled before I posted the correction.....................lol.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Kerryon Johnson...

That team never runs, but that team never had anyone worth running with...

Got one eye on him.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, Joe. I agree with a lot of your takes and rankings. I think you are spot on for Watson, Rivers, Stafford, Wentz and Luck. I completely disagree with a lot of your co-workers, especially the dude sweating Mahomes' nuts. He may turn into an elite QB, but to rank him in the top 10 for this year is nuts. There are way too many proven QBs going much later to reach for him, imo.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, Joe. I agree with a lot of your takes and rankings. I think you are spot on for Watson, Rivers, Stafford, Wentz and Luck. I completely disagree with a lot of your co-workers, especially the dude sweating Mahomes' nuts. He may turn into an elite QB, but to rank him in the top 10 for this year is nuts. There are way too many proven QBs going much later to reach for him, imo.
theres alot of people with mahomes top 10, just nut dangling the intangibles

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theres alot of people with mahomes top 10, just nut dangling the intangibles
I sort of get the hype for the real NFL, but he has played in one NFL game. There are a lot more proven guys available where he is going.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mahomes but 10 is too high. I have him Dak, Alex Smith and Mariota in the same tier maybe with Mahomes at the top of the tier. So generally closer to 15 but some of that is just me being a Chiefs homer and I know if Mahomes isnt any good then the Chiefs are going to be awful.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mahomes but 10 is too high. I have him Dak, Alex Smith and Mariota in the same tier maybe with Mahomes at the top of the tier. So generally closer to 15 but some of that is just me being a Chiefs homer and I know if Mahomes isnt any good then the Chiefs are going to be awful.
That's fair, I guess. When you get down to that area of the list, it becomes a matter of personal preference. I think it also depends on who you got as your 1st QB (or maybe 1st and 2nd if you are gunning for 3). For example, if I got Ben and Rivers earlier, then maybe I take a Mahomes over guys like Dak and Alex Smith for the upside. If I ended up with someone like Goff and Luck, then maybe I want a safer pick with that 3rd guy and look at someone like Smith, or maybe even guys like Eli, Dalton or Tyrod, who I think are really underrated, but I understand why.

Point is, that there are tons of QBs out there these days that can put up points and the gap between the mid tier guys and the guys who "should go undrafted" (for lack of a better term) is very narrow, imo.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, I guess. When you get down to that area of the list, it becomes a matter of personal preference. I think it also depends on who you got as your 1st QB (or maybe 1st and 2nd if you are gunning for 3). For example, if I got Ben and Rivers earlier, then maybe I take a Mahomes over guys like Dak and Alex Smith for the upside. If I ended up with someone like Goff and Luck, then maybe I want a safer pick with that 3rd guy and look at someone like Smith, or maybe even guys like Eli, Dalton or Tyrod, who I think are really underrated, but I understand why.

Point is, that there are tons of QBs out there these days that can put up points and the gap between the mid tier guys and the guys who "should go undrafted" (for lack of a better term) is very narrow, imo.
Yeah, in 10 or 12 team leagues then I really like getting a 'safe' #1 and a 'risky' #2 QB with pretty much the exact names you listed. If the cards fall right I might get a high valued 'risky' #1 and a 'safe' #2 but that never happens if I'm doing the draft calculator mock where the computer overdrafts certain QBs.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of that is just me being a Chiefs homer and I know if Mahomes isnt any good then the Chiefs are going to be awful.
I don't think Mahomes will be awful. I have a lot of respect for Andy Reid and he does have an uncanny reputation for finding and developing QB.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Mahomes will be awful. O have a lot of respect for Andy Reid and he does have an uncanny reputation for finding and developing QB.
Yeah, the other three guys have Mahomes in the 14-18 range which is about right, imo.

There are about 4 or 5 things that jump out at me outside of Tommy's Mahomes at 10. Your pick of Watson at 14 is a massive hot take. Tommy having Luck at 14 seems outside of the normal zone for him. He also has Cam at 9. Eric has Brees at 9 and Dak at 12.

I love seeing these differing opinions. It makes me think that we're going to be seeing one of the better NFL seasons in the modern era. Its also probably going to crush the dreams of many FF experts who think they have it figured out.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the other three guys have Mahomes in the 14-18 range which is about right, imo.

There are about 4 or 5 things that jump out at me outside of Tommy's Mahomes at 10. Your pick of Watson at 14 is a massive hot take. Tommy having Luck at 14 seems outside of the normal zone for him. He also has Cam at 9. Eric has Brees at 9 and Dak at 12.

I love seeing these differing opinions. It makes me think that we're going to be seeing one of the better NFL seasons in the modern era. Its also probably going to crush the dreams of many FF experts who think they have it figured out.
With respect to having Watson at 14: I really do see him as this year's version of Prescott. Not terrible. But certainly not the number 2 QB that ADP has him going at. I had to put him somewhere.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about any QB this year. None of them. I have Wilson at #3 and it scares me to death to draft him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respect to having Watson at 14: I really do see him as this year's version of Prescott. Not terrible. But certainly not the number 2 QB that ADP has him going at. I had to put him somewhere.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about any QB this year. None of them. I have Wilson at #3 and it scares me to death to draft him.
I think I'm the other way around. I think we are going to see a historic passing season with QB runs mixin in.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QBs tend to go higher in real drafts, but there are times when Wilson falls to me in the 6th or 7th round of a redraft mock and I would LOVE to get him there. I think he is the #1 QB in fantasy this season.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm the other way around. I think we are going to see a historic passing season with QB runs mixin in.
Of any QB who had over 4000 passing yards going back to 2013, this has been the average of the top passers:
2013 - 4605 (9 QB)
2014 - 4506 (11 QB)
2015 - 4438 (12 QB)
2016 - 4426 (13 QB)
2017 - 4294 (8 QB)​

Notice anything about the top averages?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of any QB who had over 4000 passing yards going back to 2013, this has been the average of the top passers:
2013 - 4605 (9 QB)
2014 - 4506 (11 QB)
2015 - 4438 (12 QB)
2016 - 4426 (13 QB)
2017 - 4294 (8 QB)​

Notice anything about the top averages?
Fair enough. Last years QB play was just miserable, though. Getting Rodgers healthy, Watson healthy, Mahomes added to the mix, Mariota a better coach, Tannehill replacing the mess in Miami, Jimmy G for a full year, etc. should push the numbers back to at least the 2016 range.

We have seen an infusion into the NFL of young Running Backs in the past few drafts that have really changed things. Maybe I should pump the brakes on my QB optimism but Im hopeful for something better than last year.