• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Average Joe's Quick Slant

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW: Not that I need to defend myself but I noticed that my kicker rankings do not seem to harmonize as much as my associates. I feel it necessary to point out that I researched a 3-year window of TEAMS that have attempted the most field goals during that time. Then combined this data with a 3-year window of the accuracy of current INDIVIDUAL kickers - leaning more towards the TEAM.

Perhaps more research than necessary given that we're talking about kickers.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW: Not that I need to defend myself but I noticed that my kicker rankings do not seem to harmonize as much as my associates. I feel it necessary to point out that I researched a 3-year window of TEAMS that have attempted the most field goals during that time. Then combined this data with a 3-year window of the accuracy of current INDIVIDUAL kickers - leaning more towards the TEAM.

Perhaps more research than necessary given that we're talking about kickers.
I sure don't see any blaring issues with your kicker rankings. .seem pretty "normal" to me

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@averagejoe any idea how many hits your guys site gets a month/week, or your individual articles?
You may have to ask @tlance
Within the last couple years is when they ventured into the FF arena.
I guess their fantasy baseball was their bread and butter and from what I understand does well.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was more a curiosity questions of the popularity of the site.......i always wanted to blog right, but i right poorly. I also dont do research, my sections would always be "Gut calls"

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an effort to be more controversial, here's the 2017 ALL DUD TEAM.
Yep, an entire team of players being drafted way too early.
No way that their fantasy numbers coincide with their ADP.
As usual, please share/comment. Tell me I'm crazy.

The 2017 Fantasy Football All Dud Team

Was trying to get some of the creative juices flowing by re-reading a few articles from the past.
(Didn't work.)
But I was amazed that I hit on most (6 of 9) of this "All Dud Team."
For the record I was comparing where they were being drafted compared to their expected finish value.

QB - Winston
RB - DeMarco Murray & Carlos Hyde
WR - Cooks, Thomas and Cobb
TE - Rudolph
K - Crosby
D/ST - Raiders

If only I was right about other things. :rolleyes2:

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was trying to get some of the creative juices flowing by re-reading a few articles from the past.
(Didn't work.)
But I was amazed that I hit on most (6 of 9) of this "All Dud Team."
For the record I was comparing where they were being drafted compared to their expected finish value.

QB - Winston
RB - DeMarco Murray & Carlos Hyde
WR - Cooks, Thomas and Cobb
TE - Rudolph
K - Crosby
D/ST - Raiders

If only I was right about other things. :rolleyes2:
You are right when you chose to love and play hockey and Ottawa Shawarma

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice stuff Joe - only took a quick look - so not much to say other than that at this time. ... likely to comment later.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After reading the entire article, I'd say for 90+% you are spot on. The main one I see as a potential miss is on the Raiders. You made a closing statement (paraphrased) that with Gruden now there the passing game will like be more of a focus. Didn't do a lot of research into it but I do remember well the offenses he basically ran in Tampa. His focus was more on the defensive side of the ball and actually emphasized the running game (ie, 'Gruden Grinder' mentality). I actually see him making upgrades to the defense and oline in order to improve the running game. Lynch (if he plays) is a perfect type to fit his smash-mouth mold - although age and general changes in the NFL (more passing focused now) will certainly cause him to be more careful in his usage. Don't really see another back that fits, so maybe they go after someone in free agency (Doug Martin? - nah) or the draft.
Thinking the offense will be much more balanced that most think. ..... leaning a tad more towards the run and short passes than the Raiders were last yr. Just my humble opinion.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First and foremost, thank you for reading!
You made a closing statement (paraphrased) that with Gruden now there the passing game will like be more of a focus. Didn't do a lot of research into it but I do remember well the offenses he basically ran in Tampa. His focus was more on the defensive side of the ball and actually emphasized the running game (ie, 'Gruden Grinder' mentality).
I'll add this: While I did focus on OC and not HC, because of his background as well as his rants in the MNF broadcast booth, I did look into Gruden's rankings as HC, though I did not include them in the article.

Gruden was essentially in the middle of the road across the board. Literally. He ranked 16 in points, ranked 16 in yards (16.7), ranked 16 in rush attempts, ranked 16 in pass attempts (15.5). Those were his averages of 11 years of head coaching results.

But if you looked at Gruden's teams over those 11 years, you could see that he seemed to focus on his teams strengths from season to season. He rushed more when he had a strong RB core. He passed more when the RB was weak.

I also found it interesting that QB Rich Gannon did just OK under Gruden. But the year after Gruden left (in 2002), Gannon had his best season ever. Coincidence?

These points more than anything led to my general comments in the article. I could still be wrong. This is merely my interpretation. But here's exactly what I said:

Olson returns to the Raiders where he was the OC in 2013-14. He coached then rookie Derek Carr to a 4th-most passing attempts (629). This time around, I’m sure there will plenty of experience to draw on from new HC Jon Gruden. Plus he already inherits an offense that ranked 17 last season, mostly because of the pass (16th). Gruden as an analyst preaches about a balanced attack. But if the Raiders don’t strengthen the efficiency of the RB position (25th in rushing yards), Carr could see his 515 pass attempts from last season increase again. Some conclude that with Gruden at the helm, this is a given anyway.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article and good stat information. I'm still just not sold on him though. I have a hard time trusting a quarterback that a team is going to let walk when he's entering his prime. That doesn't happen with truly good quarterbacks very often, so even though Washington has a history of stupid front office moves, it's just scary that they are letting him walk out of town and essentially are going to get absolutely nothing for him. He might prove me wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that's ever happened. I think if he ends up in Minnesota or Denver he stays a top 10 quarterback, but anywhere else he drops to a QB2.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming to the board for help.
I've started about 4 articles then got writer's block.
Or board.
So now they're just kind of sitting there. Unfinished.
Maybe I need a better idea to write about?
Any suggestions?

You guys maybe the only ones reading it anyway.

Last edited: