• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aussie Open Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already figured out the match-up of the 1st/2nd round on the men's side.

Del Potro vs Janowicz and possible Del Potro vs Monfils in the 2nd round should be really good

American Donald Young should face Raonic in the 2nd round if both win their matches vs qualifiers

Another good first round match-up. Almagro vs Kei Nishikori

Nadal did not get the typical easy first round match as he'll face Youzhny

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really looking forward to this tournament more than any AO for the past several years.

Fed still playing for love of the game and maybe thinking he could squeak into another final this year.

Time to see where Rafa really is with his myriad injuries.

Time to see if any ATP 21-25 year olds whose potential we always hear about will finally realize it in the majors this year.

Time to see if any youngsters on the WTA side can begin a run of dominance this year.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a long road since the US Open. Finally ready to see some tennis. There are not that many tournies between this and Wimby I would watch either. Cant bear to see dirtball so this is my lone nirvana until the warm weather gets here.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a long road since the US Open. Finally ready to see some tennis. There are not that many tournies between this and Wimby I would watch either. Cant bear to see dirtball so this is my lone nirvana until the warm weather gets here.

Same here. Indian Wells & Miami are pretty good tourneys before Clay court season....But those 2 aren't until March and those are the only 2 major non GS tourneys before clay court season begin so we better enjoy these 2 weeks

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope RAFA gets some more rest by getting bundled out on the first day by Youzhny!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

love the clay season

really glad the USTA is trying to get more of our youngsters to train on the surface since it requires the use of all skills with pretty much every point.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope RAFA gets some more rest by getting bundled out on the first day by Youzhny!

not a fun matchup for rafa in the 1R, but he should get through it

i can't say that i was happy seeing rafa playing the media game with the "i don't think i can win" bullshit. he'll come out running like a gazelle and playing the same as he always since he's had a half year off for all intents and purposes.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Fed's half of the draw is filled with potential danger in the form of up and coming kids like Kyrgios, coric, Goffin, Dimitrov. At any given day any of these players can beat him. So focusing on Nadal's "tough" draw is like taking the pressure off BP and proclaiming him a huge underdog a status he loves and so playing right into his cards. Of course anyone can lose to anyone in a men's tournament so it's really wasting your breath trying to proclaim any certain's player's path as a cakewalk or a nightmare.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AO was my best predicted major last year, as I had both of the finalists. ;)

MEN's Draw:

Djokovic's Quarter:

Djokovic-Isner 4th round: Isner usually doesn't play well at the AO, but I'll be optimistic and say he gets here.

I feel this might be Isner's worst surface and worst chance of beating Djokovic. Hopefully it's still competitive though. I'll say Djokovic in 4.

Monfils-Raonic 4th round: It's a pick-em, both have strengths. I'll go with Monfils in 4.

Djokovic-Monfils QF: There's a chance this is a great match. I could also see a Djokovic blowout win.

I'll go with Djokovic in 3.

Wawrinka's Quarter:

Wawrinka will face either Nishikori, Simon, or Ferrer in the QF.

I'll say Nishikori is who Wawrinka faces, but that Wawrinka beats him this time in 4 sets.

Nishikori has a tough match himself in the 1st round against Almagro.

Nadal's Quarter:

Yeah, Nadal has a tough one in the 1st round against Youzhny. But Nadal is also great at comebacks after injuries. He'll win this in 4.

I don't see anyone else challenging Nadal through the QF. I'm down on Berdych right now.

Nadal might play Rosol in the 3rd round, but that's only interesting because of their Wimbledon match from 2012.

Federer's Quarter:

Federer-Karlovic 4th round: As FED starts to age, and his reaction time to serve increases, Karlovic is going to beat him at some point.

I'll say this one is tougher than in past matchups, FED in 4.

Murray-FED QF: It was amazing to see FED get a win over Murray at this time last year.

Let's hope it happens again.

FED in 4.

Djokovic - Wawrinka SF: Can we really get this match 3 years in a row? And have another epic match again?

Odds are Djokovic wins this time, but I hope Wawrinka wins, because Wawrinka needs another big win against Djokovic for it to be a better rivalry, and not have last year's win be the only big win Wawrinka has had against him.

I'll pick against my head, and go with Wawrinka in 4. Although having another 5 setter would be awesome.

Nadal - FED SF:

If healthy, Nadal would most likely win.

The same matchup problems exist for FED.

But, don't know if Nadal is really in form to win.

So I'll go with FED in 4.

I hate that I'm giving a win for FED because of Nadal not being 100%, rather than on FED's own merit.

Wawrinka-FED Finals:

I kind of want both to win. There's a lot of good that can come from it. A multi-slam winner puts Wawrinka in a new light.

FED has the mental edge, because he's beaten Wawrinka on big stages more often, including the World Tour Finals.

FED in 4.

Women's Draw:

Serena's Quarter:

If Serena faces Jankovic in the 4th, it won't be a good match.

Stephens - Azarenka 1st round: Wow. Gotta give it to the 2-time champ, Azarenka in 2.

Azarenka - Wozniacki 2nd round: This is a pick-em, I say that because I believe Wozniacki is playing some of her best tennis.

I'll go with Wozniakci in 2.

Serena - Wozniacki QF: One of these times, they'll play a good match at a major, not just at smaller tourneys.

This one is the most likely to be a good match.

I'll go with Serena in 3.

Kvitova's Quarter:

I think she'll make it to the SF. Radwanska might come through instead, but I feel Kvitova will do it instead.

Halep's Quarter:

Halep - Lisicki 3rd round: I think Lisicki's power will be too much, Lisicki in 2.

Lisicki - Ivanovic 4th round: Same as above, Lisicki in 2.

Sharapova's Quarter:

Sharapova to the SF.

Serena - Kvitova SF: I'll take the upset, Kvitova in 2.

Lisicki - Sharapova SF: I don't like Sharapova's errors. I feel Lisicki has better ball control.

Lisicki in 3.

Kvitova - Lisicki Finals: I want to see a 1st time champ. Lisicki in 3.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really looking forward to this tournament more than any AO for the past several years.

Agree, this has been my favorite major each of the past 3 years (2012-2014).

Just so many good matches, especially during the 2nd week.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Fed's half of the draw is filled with potential danger in the form of up and coming kids like Kyrgios, coric, Goffin, Dimitrov..

and rafa

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fed should never be a favorite at any major

i'd love it if he ever won another one, but anybody who picks him is pretty crazy

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the time we listen to the so-called experts in their prediction of who will win the AO. I love it when they are wrong do not get called upon and come back with the same shit.

Tennis Picks and Predictions for the Australian Open - Tennis - ESPN

LB, A couple of these experts have Fed as a toughest road and I am not surprised as it coincides with my own assessment of the field. However things can open up radically if these potential dangers start to fall off as the tourney progresses. I hope Fed can just focus on executing his game and not on the draw too much (until he is facing Nadal then he def needs a strategy).