• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As Luck would have it.....WVU in the Black

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Pretty sure we snuck a win against Okie State in there somewhere!!......:rollseyes:

WHICH tells you that the talent to compete is there, so how the hell WVU laid a complete egg against UMD and Baylor..............

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because dad speaks the truth, however painful it is, and a bunch of homers want to argue that the program is in great shape. After all, getting beat by 37 by a team that gets beat by 63 the next week IS the objective.............

Yep your a homer if you don't think the entire program is on the brink of disaster with every move it makes....no middle ground your either a homer or a program condemning a$$.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep your a homer if you don't think the entire program is on the brink of disaster with every move it makes....no middle ground your either a homer or a program condemning a$$.

NO, a homer thinks that blowout losses have a positive effect for the future. A realist sees a team that goes to a top five SEC team and loses by four points because a young man fumbled the ball turned into a joke that loses one in four games by 20+ points!!!!!!!!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO, a homer thinks that blowout losses have a positive effect for the future. A realist sees a team that goes to a top five SEC team and loses by four points because a young man fumbled the ball turned into a joke that loses one in four games by 20+ points!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that was just back when we lost every fourth game to mediocre teams, program was so strong then....and actually that loss was by 6 points....and please copy the post where anyone said the shut out loss was a good thing. But once again I will say the week after the worse shut out loss in program history, your view, WVU packed the house for Ok St and kept it loud. I Know bring up the Oklahoma game last year when the students were gone, shows how far we have fallen. blah blah blah end is near....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHICH tells you that the talent to compete is there, so how the hell WVU laid a complete egg against UMD and Baylor..............

What makes U think that Okie State didn't lay an egg in morgantown??

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes U think that Okie State didn't lay an egg in morgantown??

Is that what WVU football has become? The only time we win a game is because the other team laid an egg???? REALLY????? IF that is really how you feel, how can you be defending our current coaches?????

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, makes me homesick for CBS boards. Back then there were 2 Dad's that were attacked on every post. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - on that, we should all agree.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A realist would understand that WVU is a second tier program when it comes to football and until they get talent year in and year out similar to the SEC, that is where we will be. Nothing has changed over the years. WVU is the blind squirrel that finds the nut every once in a while.

A realist would understand that WVU is not a name brand like Michigan, Penn State, Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas, OU, Ohio State, USoCal, etc. These teams can have an off year and still pull in a good recruiting class. Brand name means a lot. Go to any sporting goods store and see what teams are on the shelf besides the local flavor. Do you think Saban has to worry about his recruiting classes? The only thing he has to worry about is making sure that he brings in the right 5 stars. Must be hell rejecting a 5 star player from your program.

A realist would understand that 3 star players cannot always be coached up to 5 star athletes. Even Stew could not do it even demonstrated by your quote on players fumbling under his tenure.

A realist would understand that the caliber of competition has changed over the last 3 years and no matter what they believe, the Big XII is a better competitive league than the former Big East and current AAC.

A realist would understand that Stew was given many good players and made them mediocre. Pat White was not going to be a pocket passer under Stew and Mullens. Don't forget, Mullens was the OC and QB coach. Stew was a special teams coach and they sucked every season.

A realist would understand that Pat White gave his vote of confidence to Stew only to keep somebody who he was familiar with in the HC position and if Pat White was a realist, he would have figured out that Calvin McGee called the game of his life against OU in the bowl game - not Stew.

A realist would understand that Stew was not the man that he led us all to believe he was when he hid things from his own staff and started slinging mud when the writing was on the wall. The man of character became an average man.

A realist would understand that Stew could not have had half the success that Holgorsen has had in this new conference and was destined to fail due to the not filling his recruiting classes every year. Kids didn't want to come here because there was no value. It was a ship taking on water and listing badly. Luck did the correct thing by sinking that ship and by starting to build a new one.

A realist would understand that it is a waste of time discussing the same thing week in and week out. I don't know what it is about this constant rant, but you are entitled to continue to do it. When everybody gets tired of addressing you, you will accuse everybody of being homers when all it is the fact that they are tired of hearing the same old song.

Everybody has moved on with the coaching change except a handful who think that WVU football would have been on the same level as an Alabama if Stew was still in charge.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAd, you are correct in saying that WVU is not Ohio State, ND, Alabama, etc. No shit, there are very few truly ELITE programs, maybe about 8. WVU is now #14 in all time wins, and is #25 in winning percentage, so hardly second rate. In the move to the B12, I expected WVU to be a winning program, #3 in the league, possibly #4, behind OU, UT, and the hot hand of the year. Someone on here the other day said WVU had played a crap schedule until lately, then gave props to UM for playing a B11 schedule............ As to your piss pouring on Stewart, every word you say against him could also describe the current coaching staff, handed some great players and pissed it away. You ridicule Mullen, yet Holgorsen had a stockbroker coaching the DBs last year, the position that caused the most problem. I applaud Holgorsen for making the change at DB coach, but question him keeping Efore.
I think Stewart would have done about the same in the B12 as Holgorsen has done, because Casteel would have stayed on, and in my opinion, his defense would work well against most of the offenses in this league. I think that Fraud would have done much better than either, as his teams were some of the best conditioned kids out there, played a much more physical game, AND he would have still had Casteel coaching defense, and McGee on offense. THAT is the big difference between Fraud and Holgorsen, the offense we saw Pat White running was McGee's, NOT Frauds, we are now seeing Dawson trying to run Holgorsen's offense with Holgorsen holding veto power. I think the best thing for the offense right now would be for Holgorsen to either take back over as OC, or hire a different guy and turn the offense completely over to him.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a huge difference between a label of second tier and a label of second rate.

How in the world can Dad say Casteel would do well in the Big 12 when he has done horribly in the PAC 12 which has lower ranked offenses?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a huge difference between a label of second tier and a label of second rate.

How in the world can Dad say Casteel would do well in the Big 12 when he has done horribly in the PAC 12 which has lower ranked offenses?

BB, Casteel was established here, had been here for long enough to have his style players in place. As we have all seen, his defense takes a while to get going as you must teach kids a good bit, and they must be the right kids for it. The 3-3-5 it taylor made to stop the spread, pass happy offenses in the B12!!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, Casteel was established here, had been here for long enough to have his style players in place. As we have all seen, his defense takes a while to get going as you must teach kids a good bit, and they must be the right kids for it. The 3-3-5 it taylor made to stop the spread, pass happy offenses in the B12!!!!!

Not sure why it matters if Casteel was established at WVU or not.

You said it yourself, it takes kids awhile to learn their responsibilities in his system. By the time they become upperclassmen, they run it pretty well. But, it always gave up big passing yards... even to pedestrian passing teams.

The defense has 9 freshmen on the 2 deep on the defensive side of the ball this year. Last year there were 11.

Do you still think all of those kids would have performed well against some of the best passing offenses in the country last year?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why it matters if Casteel was established at WVU or not.

You said it yourself, it takes kids awhile to learn their responsibilities in his system. By the time they become upperclassmen, they run it pretty well. But, it always gave up big passing yards... even to pedestrian passing teams.

The defense has 9 freshmen on the 2 deep on the defensive side of the ball this year. Last year there were 11.

Do you still think all of those kids would have performed well against some of the best passing offenses in the country last year?

With Casteel coaching them rather than Efore, HELL YES they would have performed better!!!!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Casteel coaching them rather than Efore, HELL YES they would have performed better!!!!!!!

You do remember that he was in charge in '06 when the WVU passing defense was ranked #106 in the country? And, that was playing against just 2 BE teams that had NFL type players at QB and WR...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You did not answer my question to you... with what we saw of Casteel's defense in '06... do you still believe he would have performed that much better in the Big 12?

What do you base your opinion on?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You did not answer my question to you... with what we saw of Casteel's defense in '06... do you still believe he would have performed that much better in the Big 12?

What do you base your opinion on?

I saw what Casteels defense did as a whole, I did not pick out one particular year to judge his defense on. I saw his defense shut down a pass happy Oklahoma team in 2007 with a great QB and receivers. I saw a defense that was good, not great, at keeping other teams at bay, that at times gave up a lot of turf, but stiffened up when it counted. I think our defense was decimated last year by having a horrible DC, and I see some strides being made this year. I think the biggest hurdle for the defense this year is having three different DCs in three years, just as our OL play is hurt by having the constant turnover in OL coaches. I ask you: What is there in Casteel's defense every year BUT 2006 that makes you think he couldn't have done better than what we have seen? I am not looking at what is being done at Arizona, as we all know, his defense takes a while to implement. I WILL give all these defensive coaches some leeway, as when you have the quick strike offense scoring in three plays, that it puts a defense at a disadvantage because you get no rest, a three play scoring drive is just as hard on your defense as a three and out is.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... since you asked...

IMO, we are seeing improved pass defense in the Big 12 this year as more teams are going to press coverage... using a lot of cover 2 zone and cover 2 man.

Casteel's defense relied on cover 3 zone. While this defense was good at protecting the deep ball... it left the defense vulnerable to short passes... think wide open TE's... or in today's Big 12 offenses... inside slot. And, with only 6 men committed to the LOS, it is easier to have success running the ball against it.

Casteel did have success against OU; however, it was a defense that was dominated by upperclassmen.

Communication in any defense is key to its success. Communication within Casteel's defense appears to rely even more on this factor. Last year, WVU had a true freshman playing free safety. We saw him get burned in the passing game more than a few times last year. I do not believe his performance would have been much better under Casteel. The free safety is kind of like the QB of the secondary.

From what I understand, DeForest tried to implement too many intricacies into the defense last year. He made it too difficult for the kids to grasp. That is why we saw such poor play out of them.

Patterson has gone back to the basics with the kids, and I think that is why they're performing better this year.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason the defenses are looking better is that several teams are replacing QBs and receivers who are doing their playing on Sunday this year.