• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As a head coach is it less classy too:

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
run up the score on a team, or leave in defensive starters to keep a shutout? I always found it kind of crappy for a team to be up 35-0 and running trick plays and running up the score. I also say this having played hs football for a coach that would do anything he could to ensure a shutout. Going as far as putting in the second string until the red zone. Or is it more, its football, stop me if you can and if you can't score on me get better type of mentality you have?

Got into this discussion with someone a while back think it usually depends on what your team did when you were playing ball.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problems with trying for a shutout, particularly in college ball where lots of voters/fans only ever see the final score.

Some running up the score is weak, but it really depends. Beating up FCS teams and continuing to run it up is really lame. Beating up a rival is fine if you aren't really doing trick plays and fake punts or other shady shit to get it done.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally up by 35 points I'm looking to get my younger players on the field. They need game time experience and this is a perfect opportunity for that beside kicking the hell out of each other in practice. Offense would be vanilla, no special trick plays, defense I would still blitz time to time just to see what the younger guys can do and get them on tape so they can learn...

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it all depends.

I've seen a few times where NFL teams have whined about opponents running up the score.

To that I say....

if you are getting paid a million dollars to play football, man the fuck up and make a tackle if you don't want the score run up on you.

On the other hand, if you are a Top 10 college team up by 50 in the fourth against The Citadel or some shit and you are still throwing 80 yard bombs....

I will be rooting for you to get the shit beat out of you whenever you play some real competition.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to point out also, rivalries don't count in these matters, always run up the score and play for the shutout. Hell onside kick while you're at it.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with either.

Style points count.

And I like the old saying, "We'll stop trying to score just as soon as you stop trying to score"

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it all depends.

I've seen a few times where NFL teams have whined about opponents running up the score.

To that I say....

if you are getting paid a million dollars to play football, man the fuck up and make a tackle if you don't want the score run up on you.

On the other hand, if you are a Top 10 college team up by 50 in the fourth against The Citadel or some shit and you are still throwing 80 yard bombs....

I will be rooting for you to get the shit beat out of you whenever you play some real competition.
Completelt agree about it depending on the level. I cover high school games which style points matters ZERO. It is all power points. If you were judging based on high school does you opinion shift or change?

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completelt agree about it depending on the level. I cover high school games which style points matters ZERO. It is all power points. If you were judging based on high school does you opinion shift or change?

Again, I think the level of competition should be taken into consideration.

If you are the head coach of a 4A program and running the score up on a 1A or 2A opponent.....

you're a coward piece of shit.

If it's a couple 5A schools....

all's fair in love and football.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind saving a shutout.

I don't care about if it's "classy" or not, but I hate leaving offensive starters in when not needed, especially after what happend to Prothro vs Florida. Do it to save your own starters, run the ball to reduce the clock for less plays and less chance of injury.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally up by 35 points I'm looking to get my younger players on the field. They need game time experience and this is a perfect opportunity for that beside kicking the hell out of each other in practice. Offense would be vanilla, no special trick plays, defense I would still blitz time to time just to see what the younger guys can do and get them on tape so they can learn...

This. If it's out of hand get the backups reps. I wouldn't mind if they ran a normal offense though. It isn't going to be as valuable for your backups if you spend the 4th quarter running it up the middle and punting.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running up the score is more classless. If you see a score of 28-0 you think, meh, as a casual fan. You see 72-14 and you think the winning coach is a prick, unless it's a rivalry game then you say go for triple digits.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Bobby Bowden said it best in a response to Lou Holtz:

"… It’s not my job to hold down the score – that’s your job."

One of the goats also said this.

"I do feel badly for Arkansas. That's no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."

- Steve Spurrier

I'm cool with defense trying to pitch shutouts also.

Goals are a good thing.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Bobby Bowden said it best in a response to Lou Holtz:

"… It’s not my job to hold down the score – that’s your job."

One of the goats also said this.

"I do feel badly for Arkansas. That's no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."

- Steve Spurrier

I'm cool with defense trying to pitch shutouts also.

Goals are a good thing.
Well in Spurriers case I think if you are going to invite a team to homecomming its on.

Reactions: 006

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the people who decide the playoff start ignoring "game control" and other "advanced metrics" in determining who is in the tournament, I'll be against Ohio State crushing as many opponents as possible.

Until then, I hope the Buckeyes win every game 100-0, except for scUM. That one I want to be 200-0.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the people who decide the playoff start ignoring "game control" and other "advanced metrics" in determining who is in the tournament, I'll be against Ohio State crushing as many opponents as possible.

Until then, I hope the Buckeyes win every game 100-0, except for scUM. That one I want to be 200-0.
Eyes test = reading box scores. Tend to agree with you, this new format is encouraging classlessness.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this but I also think if you have a young backup QB in then it's ok to throw down field as they need the game experience.

Keeping defensive starters in after a game is won is stupid and good way to get someone hurt and get a coach in hot water. Guys that aren't going full speed are vulnerable to get hurt as they aren't paying as close of attention. Much smarter to put hungry guys in.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this but I also think if you have a young backup QB in then it's ok to throw down field as they need the game experience.

Keeping defensive starters in after a game is won is stupid and good way to get someone hurt and get a coach in hot water. Guys that aren't going full speed are vulnerable to get hurt as they aren't paying as close of attention. Much smarter to put hungry guys in.

Oh 100% agreed...I know I said "vanilla" offense, but that doesn't mean running the ball the whole time. I would have some quick slants, and mid range stuff thrown in there as well

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh 100% agreed...I know I said "vanilla" offense, but that doesn't mean running the ball the whole time. I would have some quick slants, and mid range stuff thrown in there as well
But if Nick Saban does it I'm still going to bitch and claim it's the crime of the century and screw anyone that disagrees.