• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-18 Around The League Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Preview Begins: February 25, 2017 (Saturday)
Free Preview Ends: February 26, 2017 (Sunday)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a while since @MHSL82 posted his thoughts on something. :2cents:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan finished 3rd with 261 points in 2015. Gobert was 5th with 33 points.

2014-15 NBA Awards Voting | Basketball-Reference.com

In 2016, Jordan was 4th with 50 points. Gobert was 7th with 13 points.

2015-16 NBA Awards Voting | Basketball-Reference.com

Green went from 317 points to 421 points.

Here's the detailed voting results, with whom voted for whom, for 2016:

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/04/2015-16-Defensive-Player-of-the-Year.pdf

Marc Gasol didn't even place in 2016, which is kind of weird for a recent DPOY winner.

Not saying I agree with the results, but it's interesting to analyze since the past voting results will somewhat be indicative of future results, as long as the voters are mostly the same people.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan finished 3rd with 261 points in 2015. Gobert was 5th with 33 points.

2014-15 NBA Awards Voting | Basketball-Reference.com

In 2016, Jordan was 4th with 50 points. Gobert was 7th with 13 points.

2015-16 NBA Awards Voting | Basketball-Reference.com

Green went from 317 points to 421 points.

Here's the detailed voting results, with whom voted for whom, for 2016:

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/04/2015-16-Defensive-Player-of-the-Year.pdf

Marc Gasol didn't even place in 2016, which is kind of weird for a recent DPOY winner.

Not saying I agree with the results, but it's interesting to analyze since the past voting results will somewhat be indicative of future results, as long as the voters are mostly the same people.

I was confused. I didn't realize you were talking about DeAndre Jordan - I thought you were making some old school comparisons of something.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was confused. I didn't realize you were talking about DeAndre Jordan - I thought you were making some old school comparisons of something.

Thanks. I'll try to be more clear next time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's not the only player that isn't a great defender, that is a good rebounder. To some extent, Boozer and Zach Randolph were similar.

At the same time, you can't get a rebound unless the other team misses a shot, and they must be doing something right if the other team is missing shots while they're on the floor.

If opposing teams aren't fighting him for rebounds, then it's their fault for not boxing him out.

Westbrook plays defense in spurts. That's about as good as people do these days. They don't do it all the time like Payton, Kidd, or Stockton did.

I'm not even impressed with Leonard or Paul George's defense.

Rondo was also accused of concentrating too much on rebounding.

Ideally, they'd be playing great defense AND rebounding, like what Kidd did.

But it's just not realistic to expect it from too many players.

In the end, rebounding is hard work, and even if there's some drawbacks sometimes to concentrating that hard on rebounding, it still helps his team most of the time, so I applaud his effort.

What do you think?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not the only player that isn't a great defender, that is a good rebounder. To some extent, Boozer and Zach Randolph were similar.

At the same time, you can't get a rebound unless the other team misses a shot, and they must be doing something right if the other team is missing shots while they're on the floor.

If opposing teams aren't fighting him for rebounds, then it's their fault for not boxing him out.

Westbrook plays defense in spurts. That's about as good as people do these days. They don't do it all the time like Payton, Kidd, or Stockton did.

I'm not even impressed with Leonard or Paul George's defense.

Rondo was also accused of concentrating too much on rebounding.

Ideally, they'd be playing great defense AND rebounding, like what Kidd did.

But it's just not realistic to expect it from too many players.

In the end, rebounding is hard work, and even if there's some drawbacks sometimes to concentrating that hard on rebounding, it still helps his team most of the time, so I applaud his effort.

What do you think?

I think the teammates helping him helps on transition baskets to get the ball in the ballhandlers hands. Wish he'd shoot better percentages (but still lose). But I was surprised at his percentage when looking at it in the aggregate- thought it would be much lower when watching through box scores. Recently has shot better and I think he even commented on needing to pick his spots better.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the teammates helping him helps on transition baskets to get the ball in the ballhandlers hands. Wish he'd shoot better percentages (but still lose). But I was surprised at his percentage when looking at it in the aggregate- thought it would be much lower when watching through box scores. Recently has shot better and I think he even commented on needing to pick his spots better.

What do you mean by "teammates helping him helps on transition baskets"?

Why do you want the Thunder to lose?

Yes, I'm also glad he's shot better recently. For most of the season, I was thinking he wouldn't be my MVP, or even top 2 pick. Now that he's shooting better, I'll have to reconsider.

For what it's worth, his True Shooting % is actually the 2nd highest in his career. That takes into account his FT% and 3's.

Look under "Advanced".

Russell Westbrook Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by "teammates helping him helps on transition baskets"?

Why do you want the Thunder to lose?

Yes, I'm also glad he's shot better recently. For most of the season, I was thinking he wouldn't be my MVP, or even top 2 pick. Now that he's shooting better, I'll have to reconsider.

For what it's worth, his True Shooting % is actually the 2nd highest in his career. That takes into account his FT% and 3's.

Look under "Advanced".

Russell Westbrook Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

If the PG gets the ball earliest or a good rebounder can pass the the ball to a running PG, it speeds up the transition. Letting Westbrook rebound does one of those. I actually heard this theory when somebody was defending Westbrook person he wasn't being selfish but rather the system supported this due to the transition options.

Why do I want to thunder to lose? I was speaking in general because I wanted to win the division. We already clinched the division this year and so therefore, it shouldn't matter, but I was talking about my perspective throughout the year. I am a fan of assists and I don't really care if it's because the guy has the ball in his hands all the time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the PG gets the ball earliest or a good rebounder can pass the the ball to a running PG, it speeds up the transition. Letting Westbrook rebound does one of those. I actually heard this theory when somebody was defending Westbrook person he wasn't being selfish but rather the system supported this due to the transition options.

Why do I want to thunder to lose? I was speaking in general because I wanted to win the division. We already clinched the division this year and so therefore, it shouldn't matter, but I was talking about my perspective throughout the year. I am a fan of assists and I don't really care if it's because the guy has the ball in his hands all the time.

Thanks.

To me, division standings aren't too important. I put more focus on overall league standings, since that puts the team in perspective with all teams.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I kind of agree with this.

Maybe Westbrook can have a triple double year AND lead the league in assists too. Maybe that's next year's goal.

I'd like to get his steals up to closer to 2spg. Oh, I see this was his 3rd lowest spg of his career. Maybe it's an off year for steals.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also hadn't thought about how rebounds leads to faster transition opportunities. That's another good point.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was a pretty thorough examination of arguments made.

I don't agree with shortening the schedule. The fewer the games, the less meaningful it becomes because the sample size is smaller. There's greater chance for noise.

Reducing the back to backs is fine.

As for whether injuries occur more often on road back to backs vs. home-road, road-home, or home-home, I'd have to see hard data.

There are also much fewer home-home back to backs in a season, so I don't know how meaningful of a comparison can be done.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

To me, division standings aren't too important. I put more focus on overall league standings, since that puts the team in perspective with all teams.

I guess I overemphasized division. I just meant that the Thunder (or any other Western Conferenve team or Finals team one day) winning could put the Jazz in a worse position. I understand that you control your own fate as far as winning goes, if you want to have the best position, when more. But that doesn't mean I'm going to want the Thunder to win.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a pretty thorough examination of arguments made.

I don't agree with shortening the schedule. The fewer the games, the less meaningful it becomes because the sample size is smaller. There's greater chance for noise.

Reducing the back to backs is fine.

As for whether injuries occur more often on road back to backs vs. home-road, road-home, or home-home, I'd have to see hard data.

There are also much fewer home-home back to backs in a season, so I don't know how meaningful of a comparison can be done.

I don't want fewer games for several reasons. Fewer games mean fewer opportunities for me to watch, even though I can't watch all of them. This year I haven't watched very many. In fact I have not watched one game outside of the game I went to from start to finish. I just don't have the time.

I like 82 games. I can compare season to season better even if the eras are different. I like numbers. I also like context and that makes seasons sometimes not as comparable as numbers look, but still, having the same number of games help. If we expanded to 90 games, 50 game when season went mean as much. And if we contracted to 64 games, I understand 50 would be a big accomplishment, but would I see that the same way as we see 60 or 70 now?

Also if we reduced games, would we pay players less? No. Do I really care about players are paid? No, because I cannot control it, but still academically, I don't like that idea. Same goes as if they increased number of games. That is the issue they are dealing with in the NFL. The league wants more games and the players are saying that it takes too much of a toll on their bodies and they aren't getting paid more if they expanded. They could solve that if they wanted to by simply taking 1/8 more for every player from every contract. But they wouldn't.

The players that get a new contract going forward would have that applied but the players already on existing contracts probably would not and there would be a big SportsHoopla about that. As if anybody in the league is really strapped for money. If you are barely making a team you want making as much, but it's more than a lot of people are and if you are struggling to make a roster, you have bigger issues than pay per game. Isn't likely you would be there for 16 games let alone 18.

I would also like them to solve the issue by either adjusting the schedules in a way that reduces the back to backs even more. They say that isn't possible due to how complex the scheduling is, but if they had to start earlier in the year, I would love that. No, I don't care about baseball. I'm not concerned with millionaires not having much of a off-season. I do know that would affect rookies.

Everything that I'm saying is in regards to my selfish perspective. I know that things that I believe would not be good for either the league or the players. But I don't care. I would like either the same number of games or more. I would deal with the incomparability of stats if they expanded but don't think they need to.

As far is resting players go, I'm fine for it because if they rest against my Jazz, we have a better chance of winning. Just don't rest against our opponents! Just kidding. We don't have very many stars in terms of upsetting people if we rest. Now, I wouldn't want to rest Hayward often and we lose a game and now we're fighting for Homecourt advandage. But I also don't want him to get injured either.

Some people say that if you don't like people resting against your opponents, you're not competitive. Maybe, but all I care about is winning. I don't really care how we get there and I'm always going to want my opponents to lose. And when I say opponents, I mean whatever team would be best to lose in relation to the standings for us. If they are playing us, it is best for our opponents to lose to us. If they are playing the Clippers, for example, it is best for them to beat the Clippers.