• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...it probably was anyway, but the NE loss to MIA last night means a certain #1 seed if the Steelers can handle their business at home on Sunday.

New England lost?

Well, that's good news...and bad news.

Our boys now have the best record in the AFC. But what are the odds that New England will drop two in a row?

Ugh. I don't suppose Brady got hurt last night? I wouldn't wish anything horrible on him...maybe a sprained ankle, or a badly bruised throwing hand?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New England lost?

Well, that's good news...and bad news.

Our boys now have the best record in the AFC. But what are the odds that New England will drop two in a row?

Ugh. I don't suppose Brady got hurt last night? I wouldn't wish anything horrible on him...maybe a sprained ankle, or a badly bruised throwing hand?

LOL...bad omen huh...they don't lose two in a row very often.

I'm going to say this even though they are the defending champs, the Patriots haven't looked that great to me in a couple of years. Full credit to NE for taking it, but the Falcons literally had to help them win that SB. Tomlin and imo especially Haley have simply been spooked by BB.

NE guys typically play their positions well, but their best teams have all had a stud or two on DEF in the front 7. In spite of the great DEF ranking (built on the backs of some terrible QBs they have played). I don't see any studs on the front 7 of this DEF.

They are still the Patriots and if PIT goes in with a weak game plan, making mistakes etc, they will lose again to NE, but this ain't the big bad wolf Patriots.

Last edited:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...it probably was anyway, but the NE loss to MIA last night means a certain #1 seed if the Steelers can handle their business at home on Sunday.

It's going to be an interesting game. Brady has something to prove. The Steelers D has something to prove. Something has to give.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be an interesting game. Brady has something to prove. The Steelers D has something to prove. Something has to give.

I think the Steelers DEF has something to prove...lol...Brady? He can afford a few more stinkers actually.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Steelers DEF has something to prove...lol...Brady? He can afford a few more stinkers actually.

I agree of course.... But that's not how Tom Brady operates. When he has a bad game, he typically comes out pretty angry the next week. Though, I'd say the guys have enough to play for this week - Extra motivation isn't really needed when this much is at stake.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you boys told me that the Rooney's don't put up with this shit:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree of course.... But that's not how Tom Brady operates. When he has a bad game, he typically comes out pretty angry the next week. Though, I'd say the guys have enough to play for this week - Extra motivation isn't really needed when this much is at stake.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure Brady and NE in general will play a better game this week. IMO, the onus is really on Tomlin and Haley in most of the losses to NE...the Steelers will have to score more than 20 to win.

On the flip, seeing a teammate go down possibly for his career had to jolt the DEF last week...I think they will play better this week as well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 15 Recap

PIT...11-3, L vs NE 24-27...tough loss on a reversed TD catch, and a bungled play with 14 secs to go. Otherwise it was a well played game by both sides. If nothing else, the Steelers now realize they can compete with the Pats. The loss does mean the Steelers are now the 2 seed and in likelihood they need to win out to maintain it as JAX is only a game back with a h-t-h win over PIT.

Next up...@ HOU

BAL...8-6, W @ CLE 27-10. Even with this win, the Ravens have dropped to the 7 seed and for now, out of the playoffs. The Bills are in the 6ths spot with a tie breaker edge over BAL. The Ravens final two are home vs IND and CIN...I like their chances for 10-6. Whereas BUF still has @ NE and @ MIA...maybe 9-7 at beast. So it's looking up for the Ravens imo.

Next up...IND

CIN...5-9, L 7-34 @ MIN...The Bengals are in a free fall right now. As expected...CIN and their fans and Lewis mutually agree to part ways after this season. Paul Guenther has to be getting strong consideration, long time in the organization. Lot of talent still in CIN, a fresh set of eyes, a new voice at the top has probably been in need for some time....whomever they hire has to make a decision on Dalton. He played well enough to get a 2nd contract, but with 3 more season on his extension, you have to wonder...have we seen the best of Andy Dalton?

Next up...DET

CLE...0-14, L vs BAL 10-27...nothing more to say.

Next up...does it really matter? @ CHI

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The circus has come to town in Cincinnati.... Marvin is making a mess of a situation that could have been kept quiet and ended in an easy divorce. Instead, he's doubling down on a bunch of lies about how he hasn't said/done anything, while ESPN is standing firm on their reports. Seems like the players believe ESPN..... As many of us stated after the Pittsburgh 2nd half implosion a few weeks ago, the Bengals will lose out. The good news from last week's report is that the assistants are also at the end of their contracts. There is now some hope that the Bengals will start fresh.

As for Dalton.... Tough call. The guy is better than at least half of the other qbs in the league. But probably not good enough to win it. I guess he's just good enough to keep you mediocre or a little above. But the alternative is drafting the unknown and that hasn't always worked well for the Bengals.

I see Haley has been responding to Ben's criticisms, by throwing him under the bus....

Worst-case scenario on second-down put Steelers in a bad spot

Maybe he's ready to be the Bengals HC?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The circus has come to town in Cincinnati.... Marvin is making a mess of a situation that could have been kept quiet and ended in an easy divorce. Instead, he's doubling down on a bunch of lies about how he hasn't said/done anything, while ESPN is standing firm on their reports. Seems like the players believe ESPN..... As many of us stated after the Pittsburgh 2nd half implosion a few weeks ago, the Bengals will lose out. The good news from last week's report is that the assistants are also at the end of their contracts. There is now some hope that the Bengals will start fresh.

As for Dalton.... Tough call. The guy is better than at least half of the other qbs in the league. But probably not good enough to win it. I guess he's just good enough to keep you mediocre or a little above. But the alternative is drafting the unknown and that hasn't always worked well for the Bengals.

I see Haley has been responding to Ben's criticisms, by throwing him under the bus....

Worst-case scenario on second-down put Steelers in a bad spot

Maybe he's ready to be the Bengals HC?

Lewis...sad. Couldn't just walk away quietly. The search will be interesting to say the least, but it wouldn't surprise me if Guenther is the hire.

Haley...take him please. Actually I think he might do okay with Dalton, and that cast, but he's not the best playcaller so hopefully he gives that up. On the NE game...even though I think Haley is part to blame because not everyone was on the same page...Ben has to throw that pass away and live for a 4th down FG to it's more on him imo...the relationship was never as chummy as it was with Arians, but I think that was the intent with Haley.

Dalton...you definitely have him figured out as most Bengals fans have I assume. You're right, they can only do worse short term with a new QB from the draft. Most likely the FO will want to stick with Dalton...but his dead money hit is only 2.4 mil I see.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis...sad. Couldn't just walk away quietly. The search will be interesting to say the least, but it wouldn't surprise me if Guenther is the hire.

Haley...take him please. Actually I think he might do okay with Dalton, and that cast, but he's not the best playcaller so hopefully he gives that up. On the NE game...even though I think Haley is part to blame because not everyone was on the same page...Ben has to throw that pass away and live for a 4th down FG to it's more on him imo...the relationship was never as chummy as it was with Arians, but I think that was the intent with Haley.

Dalton...you definitely have him figured out as most Bengals fans have I assume. You're right, they can only do worse short term with a new QB from the draft. Most likely the FO will want to stick with Dalton...but his dead money hit is only 2.4 mil I see.

I'm not sure I really want Haley.... But the dude did go to the playoffs with Matt Cassel as his QB, so he can't be all that bad. I think he takes a lot of blame in Pittsburgh because Ben doesn't like him and the expectations are so damn high given the talent that exists on that offense. But his numbers speak for themselves (talent or not) - That team moves the ball and they move the ball when it matters most, which is something the Bengals could never do. I think he also uses his guys talents appropriately.... He somehow designs plays to get the ball to Brown even though everyone tries to double him and he does some creative stuff with Bell in the passing game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I really want Haley.... But the dude did go to the playoffs with Matt Cassel as his QB, so he can't be all that bad. I think he takes a lot of blame in Pittsburgh because Ben doesn't like him and the expectations are so damn high given the talent that exists on that offense. But his numbers speak for themselves (talent or not) - That team moves the ball and they move the ball when it matters most, which is something the Bengals could never do. I think he also uses his guys talents appropriately.... He somehow designs plays to get the ball to Brown even though everyone tries to double him and he does some creative stuff with Bell in the passing game.[/QUOTE

Sure...a team can do worse than Haley as a OC for sure. As a HC, I think you can actually say the Haley got a raw deal in KC.

On this team...the Rooney's wanted a different look. They felt Arians was too pass happy and Ben wouldn't survive much long taking the hits he was...so, stronger running, quicker passes, less ad lib play.

IMO Haley came in with some marching orders that kind of put him on the wrong side of Ben who was really close to Arians.

JMHO...Ben and Haley have a decent working relationship so I'm not sure if "Ben doesn't like" really applies. The main issues in PIT is Haley rides the coat tails of Bell and Brown too much. Not enough diverisity in the OFC in the big games...the last NE game was his 1st vs the Patriots the OFC looked solid for most of the game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 16 Recap

PIT...12-3 W, 34-6 @ HOU...the Steelers took control early for a change vs a non playoff team and coasted. The win locked up the 2 seed, so PIT will get next week off and they won't play until the 13th at the earliest. Time to heal up some guys like Antonio Brown and Foster...It's been a long time since the Steelers had a bye so hopefully Tomlin uses this time well. In the meantime, there is one more game to play. A win and a NE loss would move PIT into the 1 seed. Unlikely, but it's out there.

Next up...CLE

BAL...9-6, W, 23-16 v IND...I watched a lot of this game. The Ravens were mostly in control, but this game stayed close as IND was able to move the ball in bewtween the 20s and kick FGs...the Ravens OFC did execute a long drive for 6 in the 4Q and that sealed it. BAL controls their own destiny...win this week and they are the 5th seed....if they lose, they bring BUF, LAC into it, but they could still make it on tie breakers. I fully expect BAL to win and be the 5th seed.

Next up...CIN

CIN...6-9, W, 26-17 vs DET...facing the toughest foe of the weekend, the Bengals got a win in the last home game of the Marvin Lewis era. 15 yrs is a long time in the NFL at one spot as a HC. You have to give him some credit...with the help of a lot of high draft choices Lewis built the Bengals into a consistent playoff caliber team. Unfortunately I think his legacy will be one of never getting over the hump due to his winless playoff record as a HC. I think CIN will be one of maybe a half dozen HC job openings this offseason.

Next up...@ BAL

CLE...0-15, L, 3-20 @ CHI...I didn't see any of this game, but based on the highlights, the Browns have to take a QB again. Two more RZ picks for Kizer at the very end of the season is more concerning than if it was week 5. Rosen from UCLA has put it out there that he prefers not to play in CLE and would rather the NYG...this works for CLE...a lot of scouts think the Josh Allen kid from Wyoming has just as good upside potential. If NYG wants Rosen...let's make a deal....the Browns could go light on NYG...swap 1st rounders and take the NYG 2nd round pick in the 2018 draft...that would give them, #2, # 4 (from HOU) #33, and #34 (from NYG). That's 4 starters for the new regime.

FWIW...if they decide to keep Hue Jackson, they need to get a legit stop gap QB. I would look at Case Keenum on a 2 yr deal, realizing I would probably have the rookie QB starting at some point. If I was going to start the rookie QB, I would go ahead and start over with the HC too...I want a guy I know I'm okay giving him 3+ yrs to develop the draft pick.

Next up...@ PIT

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see if the Bengals bring any energy to Baltimore this Sunday. They played with a lot of heart on Sunday and in many ways looked like the team that cared more which is surprising given that Detroit was still alive. Baltimore is not good enough to run away from the Bengals if the Bengals are playing well. It could be a good game. That said, I can also see a blowout brewing if the Bengals are caught mailing it in on a disappointing season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see if the Bengals bring any energy to Baltimore this Sunday. They played with a lot of heart on Sunday and in many ways looked like the team that cared more which is surprising given that Detroit was still alive. Baltimore is not good enough to run away from the Bengals if the Bengals are playing well. It could be a good game. That said, I can also see a blowout brewing if the Bengals are caught mailing it in on a disappointing season.
Very interested to watch this game. We know Baltimore wins & their in, so they'll be desperate for it. Cincy would love nothing more than to play spoiler to a rival to put a highlight on a disappointing season. They are capable of competing with anyone if all the pieces show up. I'd be very worried if I was a Raven fan.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point. BAL will bring high intensity for 60 mins...can CIN match that? If it's a one possession game into the 3Q, I think they will match it...but if BAL is up a couple of possessions in the 3Q, I can see CIN mailing it in.