• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 13 Recap

PIT...10-2, W @ CIN...23-20...Steelers get a hard fought win in CIN to complete the season sweep of the Bengals I believe in back to back seasons. #1 seed based on a tie breaker over NE.

Next up...BAL, win this one and PIT will clinch the North.

BAL...7-5, W vs DET...44-20...what was a blowout, then a fairly close game, BAL exploded with 24 points 4th Qtr point to cruise. The Ravens maintain their hold on the 6th seed.

Next up...@ PIT.

CIN...5-7, L vs PIT...20-23...Led 17-0 in this game but could only post 3 pts in the second half. DEF lost something when Burfict went out I think. Bengal can win out and post 9-7 and see how the tie breakers fall, but 2 games back of BAL and with losses to both JAX and TN it's going to be tough sledding.

Next up...CHI

CLE...0-11, L @ LAC...10-19. I'm not sure why it was on, and I'm not real sure why I was watching it, but in between plays in the CAR @ NO game I caught some of this game. Close, hard fought game. I can say they Browns have not quit on Jackson, but they just don't make enough plays on OFC when they had chances. Josh Gordon looked pretty good for not having playing in nearly 2 yrs...I'd ride him as long as his contract makes sense.

There are times that Kizer looks like he can be a legit starting QB...there are other times I think they have to take #1 overall and get a QB.

Next up...GB...if that D can play like they did in LA this week, I'm smelling a W.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 13 Recap

PIT...10-2, W @ CIN...23-20...Steelers get a hard fought win in CIN to complete the season sweep of the Bengals I believe in back to back seasons. #1 seed based on a tie breaker over NE.

Next up...BAL, win this one and PIT will clinch the North.

BAL...7-5, W vs DET...44-20...what was a blowout, then a fairly close game, BAL exploded with 24 points 4th Qtr point to cruise. The Ravens maintain their hold on the 6th seed.

Next up...@ PIT.

CIN...5-7, L vs PIT...20-23...Led 17-0 in this game but could only post 3 pts in the second half. DEF lost something when Burfict went out I think. Bengal can win out and post 9-7 and see how the tie breakers fall, but 2 games back of BAL and with losses to both JAX and TN it's going to be tough sledding.

Next up...CHI

CLE...0-11, L @ LAC...10-19. I'm not sure why it was on, and I'm not real sure why I was watching it, but in between plays in the CAR @ NO game I caught some of this game. Close, hard fought game. I can say they Browns have not quit on Jackson, but they just don't make enough plays on OFC when they had chances. Josh Gordon looked pretty good for not having playing in nearly 2 yrs...I'd ride him as long as his contract makes sense.

There are times that Kizer looks like he can be a legit starting QB...there are other times I think they have to take #1 overall and get a QB.

Next up...GB...if that D can play like they did in LA this week, I'm smelling a W.

That game killed all tie-breakers for Cincy.... Besides, they aren't winning in Minny under any circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals drop 3 of their last 4 in ugly fashion. I think they blew their wad last night in the first half and now they will start preparing for an eventful offseason.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hue Jackson's now 1-27 as the Clowns HC. What the fuck Jimmy? Why hasn't that jackass Haslam fired Jackson yet?

Supposed Jimmy Haslam quote: When I bought the Browns my only goal was to make sure they stayed the worst team in the league. And I think I've accomplished that goal.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an attempt to get more fans to the stadium not only will ticket prices be lowered the organization will be passing out free Browns gear before the game.

downloadgdfg.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hue Jackson's now 1-27 as the Clowns HC. What the fuck Jimmy? Why hasn't that jackass Haslam fired Jackson yet?

Supposed Jimmy Haslam quote: When I bought the Browns my only goal was to make sure they stayed the worst team in the league. And I think I've accomplished that goal.

Would you feel much better if they were say...4-24?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you feel much better if they were say...4-24?

This is a good point.... That team really has no chance the way it is currently built. Hard to judge Hue on their record.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean keep losing? No problem. The Browns are experts @ that.:L

Of course you want to see wins...any wins, but I don't know how much I would hold Jackson's feet to the fire when they gutted most of the vet talent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good point.... That team really has no chance the way it is currently built. Hard to judge Hue on their record.

Exactly...maybe a BB would win 3 or 4 games with this cast, but generally speaking, they have too many young players on both sides of the ball. I'd give Hue the '18 season, but I would expect to see some wins.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS

The Clowns have lost 12 straight games 2 years in a row now. They join the '76 & '77 T.B. Bucs as the only teams to stink it up like that. You have to admire that organization's unique ability to continue to get in it's own way.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS

The Clowns have lost 12 straight games 2 years in a row now. They join the '76 & '77 T.B. Bucs as the only teams to stink it up like that. You have to admire that organization's unique ability to continue to get in it's own way.

What's even more impressive is the era in which they are doing it.... Back in the 70s and 80s there was no free agency and no salary cap. Dynasties could be built and maintained by stockpiling depth. On the flipside, teams could truly be inept by not spending money or other foolish moves. In the modern NFL, with the way the draft works, the way the rookie salary structure works, and the way the salary cap has to be managed, just about every franchise should at least make a playoff appearance every decade. That's probably at a minimum.

Actually winning playoffs and championships are another thing all together...... But, the type of ineptitude the Browns show is actually impressive in how improbable it really is.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 AFC North Champs. Let's Go Steelers!!!!!!! Fuck the Bengals, Fuck the Ravens and, well, the Browns are the Browns so whatever.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 AFC North Champs. Let's Go Steelers!!!!!!! Fuck the Bengals, Fuck the Ravens and, well, the Browns are the Browns so whatever.
.....And the Browns continue to fuck themselves.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's even more impressive is the era in which they are doing it.... Back in the 70s and 80s there was no free agency and no salary cap. Dynasties could be built and maintained by stockpiling depth. On the flipside, teams could truly be inept by not spending money or other foolish moves. In the modern NFL, with the way the draft works, the way the rookie salary structure works, and the way the salary cap has to be managed, just about every franchise should at least make a playoff appearance every decade. That's probably at a minimum.

Actually winning playoffs and championships are another thing all together...... But, the type of ineptitude the Browns show is actually impressive in how improbable it really is.

The Browns have basically broken every rule imaginable when it comes to building a winning NFL franchise...starting with no stability at the top.

The Falcons franchise not too long ago was in similar shape under the Rankin Smith ownership...a perennial loser, totally inept FO (they literally had people in the FO that didn't know much about football, I'm not kidding)...they squandered numerous top 10 picks and let future HOF QBs go for nearly nothing. Never back to back winning seasons until well into the Matt Ryan era.

Rankin Smith hired Dan Reeves and gave him complete control over football personnel...GM/HC, the whole 9. Dan turned the roster over and peaked with the '98 super bowl team. Anyway Rankin Smith died, the kids needed to sell the team to get the inheritance tax bill paid...in comes Arthur Blank...Home Depot money in tow, he hired a football lifer to be his GM and football operation guy...Rich McKay, eventually it morphed into him firing Rich the GM and made him President and said go find a GM.

They tapped the NE tree for Dimitroff and the rest as they say is history...there was one HC change Mike Smith to Dan Quinn.

CLE is in a viscous cycle of churning out GMs and HC like they are 10 day old laundry. I was a Hue guy, mostly from a stability standpoint with so many young players. But now that they have a new GM...it's really only fair to him to have his pick running the team.

At some point they have to stick with a regime for 4 to 5 yrs, but it makes sense to scrap the Hue Jackson experiment now and start fresh with a new HC and probably a new QB in '18.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 14 Recap

PIT...11-2 W, BAL 39-38...AFCN match up you expect another hard hitting DEFENSIVE battle...we go probably the highest OFC output from both teams...a total track meet. But in true PIT vs BAL fashion...it was a close ball game. A FG in the last minute was able to hold up for a 1 pt win. The repeat AFCN champs are streaking towards a 1 or 2 seed.

Next up...Patriots...the long awaited show down...the measuring stick awaits.

BAL...7-6, L, @ PIT 38-39...The Ravens turned a halftime deficit into a 2 possession lead at the end of the 3Q. In the end neither DEF could stop the opposing OFC. The Ravens win out I and think they're in. BUF has to go to NE week 16...unless Brady is sitting and he won't be, no way the Bill wins that game if NE is fighting for a 1 seed.

Next up...@ CLE

CIN...5-8, L vs CHI 7-33...if Marvin Lewis had any inkling of making a run and saving his gig...forget about it! The Steelers also felt the wrath of the Bears becoming the 1st of their 4 victims, but getting smoked at home by CHI is a different feeling altogether...that's going home with your tail tucked between your legs Marvin!

Next up....@ MIN

CLE...0-13, L vs GB 21-27...Kizer giveth 3 TDs but taketh away with 2 picks...one in OT that sealed the L pretty much. Some talk the new GM in CLE Dorsey, might want his own guy in their next yr. I keep getting the sense the Dalton played his best football in part under Jackson...if he gets canned in CLE, do the Bengals pick up the phone and call him.

Next up...BAL

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 14 Recap

PIT...11-2 W, BAL 39-38...AFCN match up you expect another hard hitting DEFENSIVE battle...we go probably the highest OFC output from both teams...a total track meet. But in true PIT vs BAL fashion...it was a close ball game. A FG in the last minute was able to hold up for a 1 pt win. The repeat AFCN champs are streaking towards a 1 or 2 seed.

Next up...Patriots...the long awaited show down...the measuring stick awaits.

BAL...7-6, L, @ PIT 38-39...The Ravens turned a halftime deficit into a 2 possession lead at the end of the 3Q. In the end neither DEF could stop the opposing OFC. The Ravens win out I and think they're in. BUF has to go to NE week 16...unless Brady is sitting and he won't be, no way the Bill wins that game if NE is fighting for a 1 seed.

Next up...@ CLE

CIN...5-8, L vs CHI 7-33...if Marvin Lewis had any inkling of making a run and saving his gig...forget about it! The Steelers also felt the wrath of the Bears becoming the 1st of their 4 victims, but getting smoked at home by CHI is a different feeling altogether...that's going home with your tail tucked between your legs Marvin!

Next up....@ MIN

CLE...0-13, L vs GB 21-27...Kizer giveth 3 TDs but taketh away with 2 picks...one in OT that sealed the L pretty much. Some talk the new GM in CLE Dorsey, might want his own guy in their next yr. I keep getting the sense the Dalton played his best football in part under Jackson...if he gets canned in CLE, do the Bengals pick up the phone and call him.

Next up...BAL

Marvin is definitely finished in Cincinnati. I see no circumstance that would lead to the club asking him to return. Based on the remaining schedule, I also think he'll leave having lost his last 5 games. I imagine the exit will be very quiet with both sides releasing very short statements. The real action will occur when they decide how they want to proceed for the future. A good coach could potentially have the team competing fairly quickly..... A bad coach could set the wheels in motion for a further slide and an eventual complete overhaul.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...it probably was anyway, but the NE loss to MIA last night means a certain #1 seed if the Steelers can handle their business at home on Sunday.