• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Fall League (2016)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll post some things from the instructional league as well (which is in Arizona), as it comes up.

Here's the roster: San Francisco Giants Instructional League Roster | BaseballAmerica.com

One that I found interesting was T.J. Bennett listed at catcher. He played mostly 2B in San Jose, but was on OFer in the Australian league, and played 3B, 1B, and SS with San Jose. Now he's catching in the instructional league. It's noteworthy because he was a complete unknown (wasn't even drafted out of Utah), but then he was one of San Jose's best hitters. He's not going to be on any prospect lists, but he's a guy to keep an eye on.

Also Melvin Adon, the starting pitcher who throws 100 mph.

Sandro Fabian, another young OFer to pay attention to. I think he's up there with Quinn, Reynolds, Duggar and the rest.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish I could hear what's going on with Rodlofo. He's fallen off a cliff since reaching AA.
I hope he's not hiding some injury. Rather have him get it fixed and get back to being effective.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think that Martinez is dealing with some undisclosed injury.

He was dominant in San Jose, darn near untouchable.

He got lit up in Richmond, and has been torched in brief appearances in Scottsdale.

Maybe this is an injury, or maybe they are forcing him to learn other pitches, much like they did with Beede early on.

Both pitchers can get by in the minors with a + fastball, but in the big leagues, you need another pitch or two. AFL is a time to work on things. While I hope the Giants' players dominate, my real hope is that they improve.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday, 10/24

Scottsdale lose 12-4

Ryder Jones 1-4 (.258)

SB: Jones, Ryd (1, 2nd base off Armenteros/Stubbs)

Aramis Garcia 1-4 (.176) 3 K's

Rodolfo Martinez 0.2-4-3-3-0-0 (27.00) uh-oh, it continues

Tyler Mizenko 1.0-1-0-0-0-1 (3.60)

I heard he's been throwing 92-93 mph. This guy was throwing 100 in Augusta last year and this year in San Jose. Not good. Wonder how long the velocity was on the decline.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you all want to catch an AFL game, MLB is live streaming the Scottsdale game on Facebook right now.
Tyler Mizenko just started pitching.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizenko was looking good for 1.7 innings. He even a good recovery on a liner that was hit back to him and smacked out of his glove (and knocked his glove off!), keeping the ball in front of him and making a good throw to 1st to get the out. However, the very next batter, a Braves' prospect named Demeritte, smacked a solid double to left field. Mizenko then uncorks a wild pitch and gives up a seeing eye single to the next batter to let the go ahead run in. He walked the next batter and went full count before getting the 3rd strike on a foul tip to end the inning.
Have only seen Ryder Jones get out but they later showed a nice home run to almost dead center field by Jones from earlier in the game. Interestingly, Jones is playing 1st base tonight. Wonder if he's going to play that position in Sacramento in 2017 and the Giants give Delfino one more shot at 3rd base.