• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are video games a form of art

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of it is Commercialized art which isn't strictly negative. Most great art is commercialized to some degree. I think games can live or die beyond ideas as to whether or not they function as great art. Call of Duty and Gears of War are more popular than almost any game that one would deem creative.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Just as a pretty painted shovel or hammer isn't art, if you use it. (And on many other, more important levels.)

Maybe you have an unopened Madden01 laying around, I guess that could put my stance in a tight spot.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does one find one of these painted hamme
No.

Just as a pretty painted shovel or hammer isn't art, if you use it. (And on many other, more important levels.)

Maybe you have an unopened Madden01 laying around, I guess that could put my stance in a tight spot.

What you can use can also be art.

$_35.JPG

Now where can I find a pretty painted shovel?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what angle you're looking at it from. From the people actually creating the designs and, well, art that goes into the game -- sure. From a player's perspective? Not as much but I'd still say yes. You can't all tell me that you haven't been in some game, looked around in the game and said to yourself, "damn, this is beautiful". For instance, I did that the first time I played BF4 on the new systems and the first time I played Destiny.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creating and programming them is, playing them isn't...

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creating and programming them is, playing them isn't...

Tell that to the 200 foot tall scale model sculpture of my wiener that I made in Minecraft the other day.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sifting through a lot of my old video games right now into "sell, trash or save" piles and I'm a bit paralyzed by the notion that these games might actually be seen as legitimate artifacts 20 years from now and I'm the dumbass throwing away Mickey Mantle baseball cards because I think they're junk.

We've hit this weird point in video games where lots of sub genres are barely viable to make so they aren't getting made. I'm looking at my Ps2/Xbox collection and thinking "they really don't make games like these anymore" which is the last thing I want to my thinking when doing spring cleaning.

So yeah...i think anything before the digital/online era is art. It was made during a time when different business models were viable so there are different styles of games that existed that will probably no longer exist. Pre-digital video games were wildly inefficient at making money and thats something that the current gen has completely remedied at the point where its making the PS3/360 gen completely obsolete yet still keeping everything else around.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the collectible to be worth money, don't you have to have the box/manual etc for it to be valuable? All in pristine condition?

If it's just a game cartridge or some discs that nobody is going to have hardware for at some point, I'd likely not worry too much.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now having said that, if you're going to take advice to make money, you should ALWAYS do the 180 degree opposite of anything I suggest. :)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the collectible to be worth money, don't you have to have the box/manual etc for it to be valuable? All in pristine condition?

If it's just a game cartridge or some discs that nobody is going to have hardware for at some point, I'd likely not worry too much.
I have no idea.

Its just weird to go through my old video game collection and think 'yeah, I'd still play that' for most of my games. Meanwhile, I could throw every single one of my ps3/360 games in the trash because there is a better version on a current system. Every single one.

It might just be a temporary glitch in the video game market where they haven't made good games in some genres.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea.

Its just weird to go through my old video game collection and think 'yeah, I'd still play that' for most of my games. Meanwhile, I could throw every single one of my ps3/360 games in the trash because there is a better version on a current system. Every single one.

It might just be a temporary glitch in the video game market where they haven't made good games in some genres.

Have you actually gone back and played any of those old games though? Because I've found that sometimes I suffer from nostalgia. I had a ton of fun playing the orginal XCOM game way back in the day. 3.5 in floppy discs on a Tandy 386. My step brother gave me a digital file with about 30 games on it, all ported from their original MS DOS or other OS's, into something you could play now.

So I was all geeked up about playing XCOM. After about 15 minutes, I was shaking my head. The game was SO hopelessly dated, it was... well just awful. Clunky. Cheesy midi music (that we all thought was incredibly haunting/spooky back in the day).

It just aged REALLY poorly.

I tried to play an old version of one of the early FALLOUT games, and it was the same thing. There was some nostalgia there, but it didn't last long when you'd think about being able to go toe to toe with a band of supermutants in a modern incarnation.