• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Browns a Legit Playoff Contender?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No sarcasm whatsoever. Assuming health - for all teams - are the Browns a potential playoff contender? It's difficult to think not at this point. Put this lineup in any other teams jerseys and you're likely predicting at least 8-9 wins:

QB: Tyrod Taylor/Baker Mayfield
RB: Nick Chubb/Carlos Hyde/Duke Johnson
WR: Josh Gordon/Jarvis Landry/Antonio Calloway/Corey Coleman
TE: David Njoku/Seth Devalve
OT: Chris Hubbard/Austin Corbett/Shon Coleman
OG: Kevin Zeitler/Joel Bitonio
C: JC Tretter

DE: Myles Garrett/Emmanuel Ogbah/Nate Orchard/Chad Thomas
DT: Larry Ogunjobi/Trevon Coley/Trent Thompson/Caleb Brantley
LB: Jamie Collins/Mychal Kendricks/Christian Kirksey/Joe Schobert
CB: EJ Gaines/TJ Currie/Denzel Ward/Briean Boddy-Calhoun
S: Demarious Randall/Julius Peppers/Derrick Kindred

There really isn't any position group that is necessarily a glaring weakness. Losing Joe Thomas will hurt, but otherwise, they've made drastic wholesale changes to every position group.

Other than "because they're the Browns", is there any actual legit reason to think this team isn't a playoff contender?
No

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 pages of "are the Browns legit",

Man they must be close to being good with all the responses....

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying Flacco has a better completion percentage???
Surprisingly enough, he does. The only qualitative metric in which he's better.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rosters I think are better than Clevelabd for sure

NE
PITT
JAX
LAC

That's it imo that are for sure better

I'd put KC as likely better if Mahomes is decent .

After that you can argue Tennessee, Houston, Denver, Baltimore and Oakland but none of those are certain so realistically the Browns roster should at least put them in contention. Where you have to take pause is coaching and schedule . There are 6 games on their schedule vs teams who simply for sure have more talent which makes their margin for error almost nothing
I would agree with those 4, and assuming health at QB I'd put Denver and Oakland as well. I can't say I agree on Baltimore anymore. Fortunately enough, they still have a really good coach.

That said, don't forget that last year in week 1, the Browns only lost to a fully healthy Pittsburgh team (with a rookie QB in Kizer starting, mind you) because of a blocked punt for TD. It wouldn't be shocking to see them steal week 1 this year from the Steelers.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the crux of this whole thread, no need to go off the deep end buddy.

I'm not sure how that was "going off the deep end"; I was just stating facts. I just think all the discussions about the Browns potentially being playoff contenders are getting a little out of hand considering that they've gone 4-48 over the past 3 seasons and haven't had a legitimately good season in a decade. It would make more sense to discuss the possibility of them winning ~5 games or so. If they come anywhere near making the playoffs in 2018, I'll be the first to eat crow for doubting them.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how that was "going off the deep end"; I was just stating facts. I just think all the discussions about the Browns potentially being playoff contenders are getting a little out of hand considering that they've gone 4-48 over the past 3 seasons and haven't had a legitimately good season in a decade. It would make more sense to discuss the possibility of them winning ~5 games or so. If they come anywhere near making the playoffs in 2018, I'll be the first to eat crow for doubting them.
Sitting there acting as if I'm saying it's a lock or even probable that they're making the playoffs is taking things much further than I initially did.

The last 3 seasons bear little weight on this season outside of Hue Jackson. They've made wholesale changes at every single position group, and outside of Joe Thomas leaving, every one of them has been a fairly big to astronomical upgrade. My point about them being widely considered a playoff contender if they're in any other jerseys is very fair, wouldn't you say?

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting there acting as if I'm saying it's a lock or even probable that they're making the playoffs is taking things much further than I initially did.

The last 3 seasons bear little weight on this season outside of Hue Jackson. They've made wholesale changes at every single position group, and outside of Joe Thomas leaving, every one of them has been a fairly big to astronomical upgrade. My point about them being widely considered a playoff contender if they're in any other jerseys is very fair, wouldn't you say?

They've still got a lot to prove. They kept their coach who is 1-31 with the team, and have yet to prove their QB situation. Those two things alone can keep a team as bottom dwellers of the league. Like I said, maybe they do turn a corner this year, but I doubt it they get anywhere near playoff contention. I think they have a better shot in 2019 assuming they move on from Hue.

Also, as a Vikings fan, I can tell you first hand that playing the paper championship games is a very fruitless endeavor. I don't care how good of a team you *think* has been built; it's tough to say exactly how great they'll be until the games are actually played when their recent recent track record as a team isn't very good.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've still got a lot to prove. They kept their coach who is 1-31 with the team, and have yet to prove their QB situation. Those two things alone can keep a team as bottom dwellers of the league. Like I said, maybe they do turn a corner this year, but I doubt it they get anywhere near playoff contention. I think they have a better shot in 2019 assuming they move on from Hue.

Also, as a Vikings fan, I can tell you first hand that playing the paper championship games is a very fruitless endeavor. I don't care how good of a team you *think* has been built; it's tough to say exactly how great they'll be until the games are actually played when their recent recent track record as a team isn't very good.
Very fair point on the paper championship, you can't teach chemistry. The guys have to get it, and you're right there.

Like I said, Hue Jackson is really the only main commonality between this year's team and the last 2. The personnel overload has been unreal. Again, I've not said they're a lock or anything. However, I look at the 2014 team that went 7-9 and this team is comparatively much more talented, so it's possible to at least contend.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens fans would kill to have Tyrod over their current joke of a QB. Did you know that, since signing his deal, Flacco has been the worst regularly starting QB in the NFL by nearly every metric? Taylor has been significantly better as a starter, as well.

Last 3 years:

Taylor:
774/1236, 62.6 comp %, 51 TD/16 INT, 61.03 avg QBR, 92.73 avg Rating
283 carries, 1575 yards, 14 TD, 5.57 YPC

Flacco:
1054/1634, 64.5 comp %, 52 TD/40 INT, 49.46 avg QBR, 82.33 avg Rating
59 carries, 135 yards, 6 TD, 2.28 YPC

Flacco....3 AFCCG's.....1 SB MVP..... More wins in first 5 yrs as a rookie starter than everyone except Brady.

Taylor....Well, nothing but a moron Brownie fan that thinks he is a qb expert after watching them run in like 15 different qb's during this time and all of them, flops....

Yeah we take you serious....no really we do....
th
upload_2018-6-30_20-32-46.jpeg :crazy::heh::L:dhd::pound:

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very fair point on the paper championship, you can't teach chemistry. The guys have to get it, and you're right there.

Like I said, Hue Jackson is really the only main commonality between this year's team and the last 2. The personnel overload has been unreal. Again, I've not said they're a lock or anything. However, I look at the 2014 team that went 7-9 and this team is comparatively much more talented, so it's possible to at least contend.

I will concede that on paper, the 2018 Browns should be notably better than they have been the past few years. If they don't at least get to 5 or 6 wins this season, I'd be willing to bet that it has a lot to do with the coaching. Honestly, I actually hope the Browns find some success, as it gets old to see the same teams be dumpster fires of the league on a yearly basis.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco....3 AFCCG's.....1 SB MVP..... More wins in first 5 yrs as a rookie starter than everyone except Brady.

Taylor....Well, nothing but a moron Brownie fan that thinks he is a qb expert after watching them run in like 15 different qb's during this time and all of them, flops....

Yeah we take you serious....no really we do....
th
View attachment 181854 :crazy::heh::L:dhd::pound:
What a retarded post of yours. You didn't refute a single thing I posted and then spewed some tired rhetoric. Why even post if this is the best you have?