• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are Talking Heads the greatest band that was formed in the 1970's/You decide

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be real, the talking heads are a nice change of pace, but they aren’t the best at anything. That’s like saying chris Paul is the best basketball player ever. He’s really good, but he’s not the best at anything.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Talking Heads, in my opinion, are one of the best bands that hit their stride in the 80’s. I love them.

I met David Byrne, and listened to a presentation he gave on using the computer program PowerPoint as an artistic medium. Sounds stupid, but it was great. The guy is brilliant.

That said, trying to name them the best band out of the 70’s is a damn tough sell.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Talking Heads, in my opinion, are one of the best bands that hit their stride in the 80’s. I love them.

I met David Byrne, and listened to a presentation he gave on using the computer program PowerPoint as an artistic medium. Sounds stupid, but it was great. The guy is brilliant.

That said, trying to name them the best band out of the 70’s is a damn tough sell.
Wow, PowerPoint as an artistic medium. Only he could think of that. What was the nature of the presentation (or was that the entire presentation)?

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What??! No mention yet of the incomparable Supertramp??
Meh ... Bloody Well Right was cool.

Anybody say Steely Dan? Wasn't a big fan, but they had a couple goodens like Do It Again & Reelin in the Years..

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were fun and creative but not the best of the period.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the southern rock vein of things, above all others imho are...

Allman Bros.
Little Feat

The Allmans rightly belong to the 60's. They had been recording under different names since the mid-60's and formed the ABB in 69.

I loves me some Lowell George, but my favorite SR band formed during the 70's is Marshall Tucker. Molly Hatchet comes a close second.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disclaimer: although a few of my picks were technically "formed" in 1968-9...they really didn't "arrive" on the scene, or become known to the public until the 70's.

:thumb:

Hah...you ninja mofo...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh ... Bloody Well Right was cool.

You shut yer damn gin-filled whore mouth!

Every dang song on that album was a hit, even if it didn't get lots of radio play:

Goodbye Stranger
Gone Hollywood
the title track
Take the Long Way Home
Logical Song
Child of Vision

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh snappity-shit, sorry man! Here's one of my faves:

The entire '77 album is great....and it's quite possibly my fave by them, but I don't recall that tune ever being on the original vinyl...but I know it was released as a single prior to the album.

Last edited:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, PowerPoint as an artistic medium. Only he could think of that. What was the nature of the presentation (or was that the entire presentation)?

That was it. He'd created a bunch of art pieces using powerpoint, displayed them on a screen and talked about using it as a medium.

Underlying message was that good art is intended to express and/or evoke emotion and it can be created in a lot of ways. Don't be bound by limitations.

"look at someone who is great at charcoal art. people don't look at their work and say, man, that would be so much better if you'd used colored pencils. They created something beautiful within the limitations they'd set."

"look at me, you likely know me -- or were at least introduced to me -- through my work with Talking Heads. I love and can produce many genres of music beyond pop/rock, but pop/rock music was the medium I was working within."

I went in to the deal pretty skeptical, but it was fascinating.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was it. He'd created a bunch of art pieces using powerpoint, displayed them on a screen and talked about using it as a medium.

Underlying message was that good art is intended to express and/or evoke emotion and it can be created in a lot of ways. Don't be bound by limitations.

"look at someone who is great at charcoal art. people don't look at their work and say, man, that would be so much better if you'd used colored pencils. They created something beautiful within the limitations they'd set."

"look at me, you likely know me -- or were at least introduced to me -- through my work with Talking Heads. I love and can produce many genres of music beyond pop/rock, but pop/rock music was the medium I was working within."

I went in to the deal pretty skeptical, but it was fascinating.

Yeah but that True Stories movie was god-awful