• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone see Microsoft's announcement Monday?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that people don't like carrying laptops for the stuff they do on tablets, and cell phones can't meet that market.

So no, they won't be disappearing anytime soon.

What do people do with tablets that don't have keyboards? When will a tablet be able to handle the things that people need laptops for? When they meet in the middle they're the same thing. Right now if I wanted to have full functionality....I'd have to have a laptop. Which is why I have a laptop. I don't have a tablet because that tablet brings absolutely nothing to the table for me. If I DID have a tablet...I'd still be toting my laptop around.

So like I said... WHAT does a tablet really do for anyone?

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^Nothing.

...people like touch screens & toys, but that's not really the point of this thread.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do people do with tablets that don't have keyboards? When will a tablet be able to handle the things that people need laptops for? When they meet in the middle they're the same thing. Right now if I wanted to have full functionality....I'd have to have a laptop. Which is why I have a laptop. I don't have a tablet because that tablet brings absolutely nothing to the table for me. If I DID have a tablet...I'd still be toting my laptop around.

See, this is what you're missing. People don't use tablets for computing purposes......they use them for entertainment purposes. It's a pretty simple niche market, like MP3 players were.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a nice desktop for my photography. For everything else, i use a tablet - i hardly use my laptop, and i hate having to travel with laptops an drag them around conferences en sech

I use my tablet when i teach as well

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, this is what you're missing. People don't use tablets for computing purposes......they use them for entertainment purposes. It's a pretty simple niche market, like MP3 players were.

I suppose. I still think they're going to meet in the middle at some point.

I have a nice desktop for my photography. For everything else, i use a tablet - i hardly use my laptop, and i hate having to travel with laptops an drag them around conferences en sech

I use my tablet when i teach as well

Well that sounds pretty good. Does the school have a computer in your classroom though? Do you need Illustrator, Photoshop... Does your tablet run Power Point? I'm assuming that it COULD run power point, just not sure if it does.

I guess I'm tablet ignorant at this point. I just don't want or need one. Desktops are still the way to go for gaming, though, so if these tablets can catch up to what my laptop handles overall, I will certainly give it a look. IF the keyboard is decent. I do a lot of typing away from home, and obviously a gaming desktop isn't going anywhere, so the laptop will always handle the grunt work. The desktop is a media center.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Microsoft Surface will run Office so I'd image it will run about anything, I don't know about the iPad though.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose. I still think they're going to meet in the middle at some point.

Well that sounds pretty good. Does the school have a computer in your classroom though? Do you need Illustrator, Photoshop... Does your tablet run Power Point? I'm assuming that it COULD run power point, just not sure if it does.

I guess I'm tablet ignorant at this point. I just don't want or need one. Desktops are still the way to go for gaming, though, so if these tablets can catch up to what my laptop handles overall, I will certainly give it a look. IF the keyboard is decent. I do a lot of typing away from home, and obviously a gaming desktop isn't going anywhere, so the laptop will always handle the grunt work. The desktop is a media center.

Depemds on the class really. If ineed photoshop and whatnot, i'm in a computer classroom. Then i mostly use the tablet for attendance, grading and notes. I use Keynote instead of Powerpoint, but it works the same way. I also find that i use my calendar more, since i can grab the tablet and use it while walking. Helpful when students need to schedule a meeting outside my office hours. I havent done much serious gaming in years (just Civilization), so i cant really speak to that. I do enjoy the casual games on it though (and i have Civ Revolutions for it!)

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have a Microsoft Surface? :noidea:

I'm very tempted to get this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUXSAO4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00LUXSAO4&linkCode=as2&tag=diecastfast-20&linkId=BIA64TLUW77357NZ"]Amazon.com : Microsoft Surface RT 32GB (Certified Refurbished) : Computers & Accessories[/ame]