• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any chance that Phillip Rivers

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
goes to the Texans?

just asking for a friend

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Not unless he asks for a trade. And quite honestly looking at his 2nd halves to seasons lately, I doubt he has more than 2-3 years left.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well few things to keep in mind...

1) He has a no trade clause in his contract. So if they do want to trade him or he wants to be traded then he will have his choice of where he wants to go.

2) He has said very clearly that he does not want to play in LA. He hates the city and does not want his family growing up there. So wouldn't shock me if he did request to be traded. I would guess he also would want to go to a more complete team that gives him an actual shot at the Super Bowl. That isn't San Diego/LA as they are definitely still working on a rebuild.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were rumors he would retire rather than move to LA, so I think a trade may be more possible than some think.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers just scrapped their entire fanbase and are trying to create a new one from scratch, so I'm going out on a limb to say they won't trade the face of their franchise, nor the only player that successfully made it through a season without getting injured. They're also in a situation where they have to win and win now to get support in LA. They were crushed by injuries this year, and could be a contender if healthy, but I don't see the injury woes getting any better when they still don't even know what training facility they'll be going to.

He's signed through 2019. He'll retire after that or get tagged.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is almost a 50/50 chance that Rivers gets traded this off-season. He has said numerous times that he doesn't want to go to LA and he said this week that he knows he only has a couple years left. In his radio interview this week, he was fighting back tears the whole time. He loves SD, but now that is not an option for him.

Between the two cities most linked to looking at getting Romo (Houston and Denver), Houston seems more a fit for the very conservative Rivers.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well few things to keep in mind...

2) He has said very clearly that he does not want to play in LA. He hates the city and does not want his family growing up there. So wouldn't shock me if he did request to be traded. I would guess he also would want to go to a more complete team that gives him an actual shot at the Super Bowl. That isn't San Diego/LA as they are definitely still working on a rebuild.
I seriously doubt he said that. If he did I'd love to see a link. Sounds like he's leaning toward keeping his family in SD and commuting. He's got a palace in Rancho Santa Fe and 8 kids in school.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That article is almost 2 years old - not sure if it is still valid or if perhaps Rivers can be convinced to try LA at least one year. The whole thing doesn't make sense anyhow. He already lives only a few hours from LA in North SD County. His family could stay put or perhaps move just a little closer to LA. He could stay in a condo (or wherever) during the season. Big deal over nothing.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to get traded to the bears. Him and Cutler will compete for the starting position on hard knocks.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously doubt he said that. If he did I'd love to see a link. Sounds like he's leaning toward keeping his family in SD and commuting. He's got a palace in Rancho Santa Fe and 8 kids in school.

my friend says...phillip rivers

omg 8th

Dude does not play around. Stays pretty active

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article is almost 2 years old - not sure if it is still valid or if perhaps Rivers can be convinced to try LA at least one year. The whole thing doesn't make sense anyhow. He already lives only a few hours from LA in North SD County. His family could stay put or perhaps move just a little closer to LA. He could stay in a condo (or wherever) during the season. Big deal over nothing.

I realize the article is over 2 years ago. It still has value in the sense of plenty of speculated that he delayed his contract negotiations because he needed to think about whether he wanted to go to LA or not. Also just having talked to a few people that know the situation better than I do Rivers is still not wanting to go to LA. Yes it is just a few hours so maybe he can make it work but the situation is not one he wants to be in.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish that article was true, but it doesn't appear to be. He already was interviewed on the radio and while he answered very carefully and as classy as you'd expect, he pretty much said he'll give it his all in LA.

If he did retire he'd go down as an absolute legend in San Diego sports history.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish that article was true, but it doesn't appear to be. He already was interviewed on the radio and while he answered very carefully and as classy as you'd expect, he pretty much said he'll give it his all in LA.

If he did retire he'd go down as an absolute legend in San Diego sports history.

Which would make him average at best.....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I listened to that interview, and I took from it that he still doesn't want to go to LA.

Dude is a professional, but his loyalties are to his family (1) and San Diego (2). I don't get the sense he has much loyalty to Spanos or the Chargers.

While I will not be totally shocked to see him take the field as the Chargers QB next year, I do expect him to be traded.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to that interview, and I took from it that he still doesn't want to go to LA.

Dude is a professional, but his loyalties are to his family (1) and San Diego (2). I don't get the sense he has much loyalty to Spanos or the Chargers.

While I will not be totally shocked to see him take the field as the Chargers QB next year, I do expect him to be traded.
I would love for him to be traded. He's an amazing guy that gets a bad rap outside of SD because the emotion he displays doesn't always play well. He's the one reason I'll have a hard time cheering for them to lose, and if he were traded it would be much easier. He deserves to play for a team like Houston or god forbid even Denver, two teams that are a great QB away from a title.

However there's no chance. The Chargers have to win now to get traction in LA. They can't go into rebuild mode as they enter a new city. His only option to not play in LA is to retire, and he'd be walking away from around $40 million that's left on his contract (not sure of the exact number but that's the right ballpark).

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers can draft a young QB and get a real coach and that can bring the excitement. Rivers going 8-8 isn't going to do much for the new fanbase. Won't even register in the LA market.

He could get traded, but there's gotta be a trading partner on the other end and not many teams are ready to compete if they just add Rivers. Texans might be the only one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The LA vs SD stuff I'm sure has merit. I understand Rivers has a clause controlling where he goes, but I think it largely depends on the Chargers. They do need to make hay pretty quickly in LA, but if someone offered them a great pkg for Rivers they would do it and Rivers would welcome it to a team more ready to win now.