• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

any brewers ever used dry yeast?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently i didnt look closely when making my last order :L

i've never used dry yeast, and havent heard great things...anyone ever had any issues with it?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not recently. The first batch I brewed I used dry yeast, but that was over ten years ago. It has come a long way since then. I'm actually curious to get some cultures going to test for actual viability. It's definitely cheaper than the liquid yeast route. One of the guys in my brewclub swears by it, but he also rehydrates before pitching.

Just noticed, "Captain Spaulding." Nice.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only ever used dry yeast, and it always works for me. I've only ever used ale yeast, though, so I don't know the logistics of it if it's dry lager yeast. I've rehydrated twice and pitched it dry twice, and I actually liked the two dry pitches better, but I don't think that the two were correlated.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that we used any dry yeast back when my friend and I were attempting to become brewers. Let me know how it goes.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not recently. The first batch I brewed I used dry yeast, but that was over ten years ago. It has come a long way since then. I'm actually curious to get some cultures going to test for actual viability. It's definitely cheaper than the liquid yeast route. One of the guys in my brewclub swears by it, but he also rehydrates before pitching.

Just noticed, "Captain Spaulding." Nice.

^
lol thanks

yeah i plan on doing this as well...i started out using the White Labs vials, for the past few years i have become very accustomed to the Wyeast slap packs (only complaint with those is sometimes it seems to take for fucking ever to get the inner packet thingy to pop, the last one i did, no amount or positioning of slapping would do, i finally got it to burst by using both hands, holding it high above my head and slamming it on the kitchen table as hard as i could for a couple minutes, lol).

and this dry yeast is an ale yeast darkstone, we'll see how it goes i suppose i plan on brewing on saturday, i just havent decided which batch i want to do first

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^
lol thanks

yeah i plan on doing this as well...i started out using the White Labs vials, for the past few years i have become very accustomed to the Wyeast slap packs (only complaint with those is sometimes it seems to take for fucking ever to get the inner packet thingy to pop, the last one i did, no amount or positioning of slapping would do, i finally got it to burst by using both hands, holding it high above my head and slamming it on the kitchen table as hard as i could for a couple minutes, lol).

and this dry yeast is an ale yeast darkstone, we'll see how it goes i suppose i plan on brewing on saturday, i just havent decided which batch i want to do first

Brewed an American IPA today. Utilized some new hops that I've never brewed with before. I got tired of using Cascades. Everybody uses Cascades in Pales and IPA's. Next weekend I'm setting up in front of one of the home brew supply shops here to demonstrate a full mash for a class the owner is teaching. My partner is designing the recipe (American Pale, single hop), but it's a pretty cool gig.

Let me know how that dry yeast turns out for you. For the batch size we're brewing, we're using 2-3 starters of liquid yeast, and it's turning into the biggest cost of the beer.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewed an American IPA today. Utilized some new hops that I've never brewed with before. I got tired of using Cascades. Everybody uses Cascades in Pales and IPA's. Next weekend I'm setting up in front of one of the home brew supply shops here to demonstrate a full mash for a class the owner is teaching. My partner is designing the recipe (American Pale, single hop), but it's a pretty cool gig.

Let me know how that dry yeast turns out for you. For the batch size we're brewing, we're using 2-3 starters of liquid yeast, and it's turning into the biggest cost of the beer.

nice, that sounds like itd be fun...i brewed the other recipe this weekend, the one that I pieced together...we'll see how it tastes in a couple weeks, lol

hawkeyedan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haven't used dry yeast in a while. i'd rather use liquid yeast. never had a problem with the dry yeast when i did use it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Use dry yeast a lot. Never had an issue with it, I am not too versed on all the terms but tossed it in the batch and had the right Alchohol content and taste everytime.

I found this a while back and used his steps for dry yeast. I went searching because I had the same oh crap moment you did the first time using dry.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Preparing Yeast and Yeast Starters

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i brewed the batch yesterday wit the dry yeast, followed the instructions on the packet...heated 4oz of water to about 80 degrees, stirred in the powder, let it sit for a few, then pitched it. I'm going to order another batch of ingredients tomorrow...going to keep an eye on the batch until then, if its not doing much i might go ahead and order the liquid yeast for that style

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im gonna have a ton of beer here in a few weeks, got a batch of an American Pale Ale-ish that I'm going to be bottling tonight...a batch of Northern Brewer's Headscratcher IPW that went into the primary yesterday that will go to the kegerator in a couple weeks, and as soon as i decide what i want the 3rd batch to be im gonna order that and hopefully brew this weekend to go into the kegerator as well

not big on doing kits, but this one has really caught my eye:
115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dry yeast is working just fine, as of yesterday morning...nothing, when i got home for lunch, fermenting like a boss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've decided to put off my own brew for a few weeks. A friend of mine is brewing an Irish style coffee stout today, though, and I'll be helping him out.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've decided to put off my own brew for a few weeks. A friend of mine is brewing an Irish style coffee stout today, though, and I'll be helping him out.

i did a coffee stout a few years ago, put some fresh ground coffee beans in teh secondary....after bottle conditioning, it was waaayyyy too much coffee for me (not being big coffee drinker). It basically tasted like a cold black coffee. Stashed them for a while, forgot about them for a while, cracked one about a year later, tasted soooo much better. If I do another coffee stout, i think i will add the coffee in the primary rather than secondary

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US-05 is my favorite yeast. I've yet to have a problem with it.

On the other hand, I've had two liquid yeasts result in crappy beer.

I always rehydrate and/or starter depending on dry or liquid yeast.