• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Amazon Firestick

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how this really works but looking to rid myself of DirectTV had with the continual cost increases. So my train of thought is to to get the MAX speed from my ISP provider which is a DSL provider. If I get the legit not jalibroke stick with my Amazon Prime account can anyone provide some insight as to what free services I get? Do I get access to local channels and primary channels like ABC NBC CBS FOX or should I get a basic cable package along with stick? Is there a monthly fee for the stick or is it a one time cost?

Please help educate this under tech educated baby boomer.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't need max internet speed, 60 mbps should be more than plenty. For streaming 30 might even do the trick, although that depends on the provider sometimes.

If I get the legit not jalibroke stick with my Amazon Prime account can anyone provide some insight as to what free services I get?
I believe you'll only have access to Amazon prime content, meaning the shows and movies on their service.

For live tv, you'll want to look into a monthly subscription to something like PSVue, which will run through an app on your firestick.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can get Kodi on your fire stick... with kodi you can watch any movie and any tv show you want... All free...

Problem only is, that it can be slow sometimes loading... you have to wait for good copies... But overall it is great...

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can get Kodi on your fire stick... with kodi you can watch any movie and any tv show you want... All free...

Problem only is, that it can be slow sometimes loading... you have to wait for good copies... But overall it is great...
This guy isn't tech savvy, no way he'd be able to do all of that setting up. Plus, then you have to put money towards a Proxy service or risk being buttfucked by the feds or your isp

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy isn't tech savvy, no way he'd be able to do all of that setting up. Plus, then you have to put money towards a Proxy service or risk being buttfucked by the feds or your isp

IDK, I don't have a IPN... But Kodi is such a grey area that the feds are not too active... it is not like torrents... it is all streaming...

Kodi itself is legal, its the providers that may be breaking the law...

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, I don't have a IPN... But Kodi is such a grey area that the feds are not too active... it is not like torrents... it is all streaming...

Kodi itself is legal, its the providers that may be breaking the law...
That's a good point, as long as you don't download any of the movies. Still, OP would need someone to set up kodi and all the add-ons for him, it can be difficult for people who know even basic tech.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't need max internet speed, 60 mbps should be more than plenty. For streaming 30 might even do the trick, although that depends on the provider sometimes.

I believe you'll only have access to Amazon prime content, meaning the shows and movies on their service.

For live tv, you'll want to look into a monthly subscription to something like PSVue, which will run through an app on your firestick.

I have 100 mbps now, so the stick plus a basic cable option along with the Prime account would most likely get me the major networks plus some movie acces?

And thanks to all that have responded.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point, as long as you don't download any of the movies. Still, OP would need someone to set up kodi and all the add-ons for him, it can be difficult for people who know even basic tech.

it is not that hard... especially if you follow the youtube step by step directions...

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 100 mbps now, so the stick plus a basic cable option along with the Prime account would most likely get me the major networks plus some movie acces?

And thanks to all that have responded.
Try looking into Sling TV.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it the same type deal

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have a firestick you can get any of the live streaming services. Directv Now, Hulu live, sling, playstation vue etc. Get a digital antenna for local channels. If you have a smart t.v., you may not need the fire stick.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have a firestick you can get any of the live streaming services. Directv Now, Hulu live, sling, playstation vue etc. Get a digital antenna for local channels. If you have a smart t.v., you may not need the fire stick.

I do have a smart TV and I noticed and have watched movies from Amazon Prime b/c my ole has an account the Sling interests me but I have to figure how to build the package and what the cost may be.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch mostly movies I've downloaded. A while back I bought a basic wireless BluRay player at Target. I don't own any BluRay discs, and don't even use the wireless. It's just a convenient way to watch movies. The manufacturer (Samsung) has an app I downloaded that lets me play movies from my computer. The player also includes Hulu and a bunch of other stuff you typically get with a firestick.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not that hard to jailbreak a Firestick

get fire stick or fire box

Turn off in settings where it says "only use apps from Amazon Store" or something like that

download CetusPlay app to your phone

Enter IP address of Fire Stick into CetusPlay app

Go to "App center" in Cetus play... beam Terrarium TV onto your fire stick

Profit.,

Basically every move or show ever made is on there.

For sports I just go into Reddit /r/Nfl streams and find one with my laptop.. HDMI cable from laptop to TV.. free streaming... there are other ways to do it with Chromecast and shit, but I am not that bright with computer stuff.