• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Allow redshirts and transfers to play in bowl games? Thoughts?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome. Hope it happens. Would love to see what a healthy o line and a accurate QB can do.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the idea was good until Stool just brought up that very good point about the playoffs.

It's a terrible idea.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, I still don't like the playoffs either.

Don't like 'em. Liked the old system before the BCS.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically, how many redshirt freshmen who have never played a down are going to make an impact on the CFP? I don't see why it would matter. At the same time, it would help teams in all of the other bowls that ultimately mean nothing be able to prepare for next year and get some live reps for the young guys.

That said, I have little loyalty to the way things are and think that we should just let teams negotiate with other teams and stadiums to set up bowl games, so any team could play in one. The bowls (except for the New Years 6/playoff) can invite whoever they want, and teams that don't get invited can agree to have games either on one team's home field or at a neutral site.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically, how many redshirt freshmen who have never played a down are going to make an impact on the CFP? I don't see why it would matter. At the same time, it would help teams in all of the other bowls that ultimately mean nothing be able to prepare for next year and get some live reps for the young guys.

That said, I have little loyalty to the way things are and think that we should just let teams negotiate with other teams and stadiums to set up bowl games, so any team could play in one. The bowls (except for the New Years 6/playoff) can invite whoever they want, and teams that don't get invited can agree to have games either on one team's home field or at a neutral site.

Good point. Where I could see it having an impact is in special teams. Specifically in kick returns and punt returns.

Let's say Ohio State is in the playoffs and has a kid coming in with sub 4.3 speed and they stick him back there to return a kick off.....he finds one seam and he's gone. One big play could impact a National Championship.

Immediately I think there would be controversy.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they cannot play the regular season, they cannot play the post season.

Keep it simple, stupid.

or, to truly reward the STUDENT in student athlete, if they carry a 3.76 or better for the semester, they can play.

aqwk68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't care as I don't see anyone playing in a significant bowl game that didn't play during the regular season. As mentioned above, the only teams that would benefit are the ones in the " everyone gets a bowl" games that don't matter and they can use these kids to get some gamete me experience prior to their first official season. I think this rule would obviously be a huge benefit for nebraska thus year with some of the key injuries going into the bowl gsme

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with aqwk. It wouldn't be widely used except for lower tier bowl games.

if Tommy was good enough and healthy enough to get Nebraska to the playoffs - no one would care want Tanner Lee, PoB, or stools left nut could do..

now...we should let incoming freshman (jan signees) play..... hi gebbia

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the fact that we could really use a handful of guys to play, including a QB, I don't think it would sit very well with some of the players. Iirc it was Bando quoted saying as much, something like they're not the ones who got them into a bowl game so we dont think they should be able to play.
His logic holds water however seeing an actual qb behind center in a game for the first time in like 8 yrs might warm some of them on to it after a few scores

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the fact that we could really use a handful of guys to play, including a QB, I don't think it would sit very well with some of the players. Iirc it was Bando quoted saying as much, something like they're not the ones who got them into a bowl game so we dont think they should be able to play.
His logic holds water however seeing an actual qb behind center in a game for the first time in like 8 yrs might warm some of them on to it after a few scores
There is a simple solution to this for older players. Be better than the freshman. It's college football, not little league.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a simple solution to this for older players. Be better than the freshman. It's college football, not little league.
On the record idc whether they play or not, I did care about half way into the season when we really needed about 5 or 6 of them to play, and not because the the guy starting was injured

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In Nebraska's case where we have TA who was very erratic even when he wasn't injured, it would be such a welcome change to have a QB in there who can complete a few passes. Since Fyfe is injured, I don't know how effective he would be in the bowl game.