• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All Time Worst Rockies by Position

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK decided to see who ranks up there as the worst lineup that we could put together out of people that were the primary regulars at points during the last 20 years. Some of these guys had productive careers and even had a good year or two with us, but in terms of who had the all time worst seasons at their position this is the list. Pulling up the worst 20 seasons by position here we go:

Catcher: JD Closser--Catcher of the Future after Ben Petrick didn't work out.

Shortstop: Juan Uribe, he has been a decent utility guy over his career and had a great first season with the Rockies which made us think he was an up and coming star.........we were mistaken.

1st Base: Todd Helton (Only Todd Helton and Andres Galarraga have had the majority of the starts at 1st between all the Rockies 20 years and Andres Galarraga never had a down year while with the Rockies).

2nd Base: Jonathan Herrera---He actually got the majority of starts at 2nd in 2011 and put up a worse performance there than any previous primary 2nd baseman we had.

3rd Base: Tough call here after Chris Nelson's fumbling last year but had to go with Ian Stewart for this one for prolonged mediocrity.

Right Field: Been a pretty strong position for us again, the worst primary RF we have had over any season was Brad Hawpe which isn't overly bad.

Left Field: Ben Petrick actually manned it more than anyone else one season and one season only. He is a nice guy with a nice story, but he definitely was an embarrassment in Left.

Center Field: Anyone remember Brian Hunter? Yeah his season was forgettable.

Honorable Mentions: Howard Johnson and Alex Cole in the OF they shifted around a bit while they played so can't say they qualified as primary in any single OF position. Kirk Manwarring and Henry Blanco at catcher. Chris Nelson last season at 3rd base for his carnival of defensive performance that would have cancelled out all star numbers with the bat.

Pitching is way too much too try to get a handle on the worst of the worst as there has been way too much bad over the years.

C U Buff Fan1

Total Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Reed was easily the worst catcher the Rox have had. He could hit some but his receiving was pure awfulness. I remember a game where he completely whiffed and the ball hit the ump in the gut, TWICE. That ump was pissed off.

For second base I would say Mike Lansing, what a fiasco that was.

At third I would say Jeff Cirrilo. Decent glove but was a dissapointment at the plate.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well both Ian Stewart and Jeff Cirillo were the primary 3rd baseman for two full seasons (Ian Stewart had 3 additional seasons he didn't see the majority of starts at 3rd).

In Ian Stewarts two primary seasons as 3rd baseman he had batting averages of .228 and .256. and had 70 and 61 RBIs respectively in those two seasons. He did have some power as he hit 25 and 18 HRs in those two seasons as well.

Jeff Cirillo's two primary seasons as 3rd baseman he had batting averages of .326 and .313. 115 and 83 RBI's respectively and he did possess less power as he only hit 11 and 17 HRs respectively.

There isn't much question about who was the better fielder of the two as Jeff Cirillo was a far better defender than Ian Stewart. So I have to go with Ian Stewart over Jeff Cirillo for worst primary 3rd baseman.

Mike Lansing only got the majority of starts at second for one season though he was on the roster for 2.5 seasons. His one season as primary second baseman he had a .276 average, 12 HRs, 66 RBI, 10 SB, and was the tiniest bit above average on defense.

Jonathan Herrera's one season as the second baseman with the most starts reads thus: .242 average, 3 HRs, 14 RBIs, 4 SB, and was rated just dead even with a replacement level player on defense.

Again I have to say Herrera is far worse than Mike Lansing (though Mike Lansing was a far worse individual on a personal level, regular scumbag).

Catchers there can be a lot of debate about as there have been few outstanding catchers. Jeff Reed was definitely a mediocre defender but he wasn't as god awful as Rosario was last season (though he lacked Rosario's pure offense to make up for that of course). Closser was a horrible defender who couldn't even hit to make up for it so that is why I go with J.D. Closser.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty good when your worst 1B is Todd Helton.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry,but I think you need to take Helton off the list. Helton has one of the highest fielding % of ANY 1B in history of the game. If you can pencil in fills in like Petrick or Herrera then you can do the samething for whoever covered for Helton during one of his long DL stints.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry,but I think you need to take Helton off the list. Helton has one of the highest fielding % of ANY 1B in history of the game. If you can pencil in fills in like Petrick or Herrera then you can do the samething for whoever covered for Helton during one of his long DL stints.

I am not just penciling in Petrick and Herrera though. Yeah they were filling in but they filled in enough that they got the majority of the starts for whatever respective season. Even on highest amount of DL time over the his career there hasn't been a season he didn't by the end getting more starts at 1st than anyone else.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Helton has played 1B for the Rockies 17 seasons and Galarraga 5, the chances of Todd having a bad year are greater.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While there have been some bad owners in baseball, e.g., Frank McCourt, one of the worst Rockies by "position" is "Owner" Monfort.

I see he was just arrested for DUI. Quite an example to set for the organization. If he was a player he'd no doubt be disciplined. Montfort escapes internal discipline, though he has the court to deal with.