• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL All This Positivity

In measuring the 2016-17 season, what will it take for you to say the Lions were succesful?

• In first place after Thanksgiving weekend (Done!).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Making the playoffs at least as a wildcard entrant.

• Winning the NFC Championship.

• Winning the Superbowl.

• There is nothing they can do for me to consider them succesful.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Lions in sole possession of first place, the board seems almost cheerful. I would like to know what it will take to keep those smiles in place.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is still way more cautious approach than you would see from other teams in a similar position due to previous experience. I would love for them to keep 1st in the division though

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Division Champs. It's what they've been set up to do.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My attitude since Caldwell wasn't fired last year was this is a get thru season. Not a wait and see. Not a building or rebuilding. The season just had to happen before anything positive could.

I don't really feel any different now. The team isn't very good and isn't blessed with a ton of young up and coming talent. It's just in a division of teams who are fucked, for one reason or another. And the team has been consistently in games late, winning more than they've lost. That's nice.

It has been great to see Stafford build on positive habits. Great sign for the future when he may be surrounded with talent on both sides. (There's my positivity with this franchise.)Or Atleast have somewhat of a run game to work with.

Been a Lion too long to expect this 7-4 start to amount to anything.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm stuck in a prostrate position.

No, man. You're at about 800'. That makes for a bad THC/O2 ratio. I'm at about 3,600'. Less O2. Higher THC/O2 ratio.

Like I said, you have a bad altitude.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had them at 6-10, so anything is a plus going forward. I fear Caldwell is just another Jeff Fisher or Marvin Lewis. A mediocre coach who can only get so far. I can never hope for them to lose. Just not sure if making the playoffs is best for the organization going forward. Some will accept it, just don't be upset if suddenly you feel like a Bengals fan does now. Just getting there isn't good enough for this fan.

This is my negative view.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My positive view is BQ had all but one pick make the 53 man roster now. Could be two things. Mayhew's talent was easily replaceable or BQ is good at drafting. Maybe a mixture of both? (Not a Washington fan as of yet)

BQ also had some really good FA signings. M. Jones has fallen lately, not in this position without his earlier production. Boldin has been chain mover. The guys on the defensive side have produced splash plays that were game changing or winning plays. Not solid all year, but very instrumental in the current situation. Bademosi sucks at times and seems to be a bad signing. He's made a few 3rd down breakups that were key. His bad out weighs them though.

So I have a positive outlook on their future, just not sure it should involve Caldwell. I've been wrong before on this guessing game called "what's best for the Lions". Caldwell might lead them to the promise land for all I know.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am positive that they seem to have shaken that, 4th quarter meltdown mentality.

Coordinators are solid. Head coach is shit.

This team definitely needs an influx of talent on defense to have a shot at going all the way.
Austin is performing miracles with this cast of scrubs.

If the NFL doesn't chill out with all the time out's and commercials. Nobody is going to be around to watch anymore, anyways.

I'll wait to make a judgement until after the Monday night game is Dallas before getting hopeful.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My positive view is BQ had all but one pick make the 53 man roster now. Could be two things. Mayhew's talent was easily replaceable or BQ is good at drafting. Maybe a mixture of both? (Not a Washington fan as of yet)

BQ also had some really good FA signings. M. Jones has fallen lately, not in this position without his earlier production. Boldin has been chain mover. The guys on the defensive side have produced splash plays that were game changing or winning plays. Not solid all year, but very instrumental in the current situation. Bademosi sucks at times and seems to be a bad signing. He's made a few 3rd down breakups that were key. His bad out weighs them though.

So I have a positive outlook on their future, just not sure it should involve Caldwell. I've been wrong before on this guessing game called "what's best for the Lions". Caldwell might lead them to the promise land for all I know.

Bademosi was never meant to even play anything but special teams. He was signed to be the gunner. The fact that he has been forced into a position that he has to play sucks, but he has not been a complete nightmare for him being forced into a position that he was not qualified for.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could win the division and lose the first playoff game and still end up with a new head coach next year. I am taking it 1 game at a time at this point.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right, time to dust this off during the doldrums before the draft. Over half of the respondents checked making the playoffs would make the season a success (with two still waiting on that banner change as of 4/6/17), but a number made the caveat that the Lions needed to win the NFC North. I'm in the latter group - last year, as much as it was an improvement, was still a disappointment.

Injuries, especially Stafford's injury, may be cited as the primary reason the team couldn't take the North, but I find that a pretty weak excuse. There's too many games that were lost by too few points, (i.e., Titans, bears on the road) to be satisfied with how the team performed.

Improving the O-line in free agency will help. The upcoming draft is being touted as a defensive heavy draft year. I've been a firm believer of BPA in the draft, but this year, at least through the first two rounds, I'm looking for B(Defensive)PA.

I'm still of the opinion that the Lions will not be a success until they win the North at a minimum. To do that in 2017, the defense now needs to be upgraded via the draft. Every position group needs help on the D side of the line.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016, I felt like the defense overachieved, the special teams did what they were supposed to do, and the offense was a disappointment.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016, I felt like the defense overachieved, the special teams did what they were supposed to do, and the offense was a disappointment.

I agree but will say the ST were very very good too. Although I was expecting it, I tend not to truly believe it until it happens

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right, time to dust this off during the doldrums before the draft. Over half of the respondents checked making the playoffs would make the season a success (with two still waiting on that banner change as of 4/6/17), but a number made the caveat that the Lions needed to win the NFC North. I'm in the latter group - last year, as much as it was an improvement, was still a disappointment.

Injuries, especially Stafford's injury, may be cited as the primary reason the team couldn't take the North, but I find that a pretty weak excuse. There's too many games that were lost by too few points, (i.e., Titans, bears on the road) to be satisfied with how the team performed.

Improving the O-line in free agency will help. The upcoming draft is being touted as a defensive heavy draft year. I've been a firm believer of BPA in the draft, but this year, at least through the first two rounds, I'm looking for B(Defensive)PA.

I'm still of the opinion that the Lions will not be a success until they win the North at a minimum. To do that in 2017, the defense now needs to be upgraded via the draft. Every position group needs help on the D side of the line.

Outside of McCafferey, Cook or Fournette.

All the picks should be on D.

Those three are definitely better than Abdullah. Any pick on a RB later would be a waste.