• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All Star game votes

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can admit when I am wrong. The voting was not as terrible as it first looked to me. I still don't think Curry should be a captain, but I get that he gets the benefit of the doubt due to previous play.

Still hate Cousins, but maybe not playing defense this year has just been practice for the all star game!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donovan really started to step it up in the last month or so. For him to be on the ballot pretty much every rookie would have needed to be on the ballot.

You're right that his 23 PPG didn't start until November 30th, but he had been averaging 18.1 PPG, 3.6 Assists, 1.5 Steals, and 3.9 Rebounds in November with six 24+ games. That might not make the cut, but that's not "every rookie" either. I only saw the All-Star Ballot in January, so that should include 1 month of 18ppg and one month of 23ppg.

I still think he wouldn't have gotten the votes, but I was hoping to compare next year. I have to see who was on the ballot, as they can't make it an even number per team.

Donovan Mitchell

Edit: Ok, I looked it up. It was available December 21st. I didn't hear the news of Mitchell not being on it until a week ago. I was wondering why the results had come out already.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can admit when I am wrong. The voting was not as terrible as it first looked to me. I still don't think Curry should be a captain, but I get that he gets the benefit of the doubt due to previous play.

Still hate Cousins, but maybe not playing defense this year has just been practice for the all star game!

Rubio > Curry

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dame has spent Years Being the odd man out, this year he would have broken through, but Butler moved to the west. He has some terrible luck.
Yeah, I hate to do that to Dame.

Dame, Lou or Klay will be the odd man out.

For selfish reasons, I don't want it to be Lou.

Maybe it will be Klay?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hate to do that to Dame.

Dame, Lou or Klay will be the odd man out.

For selfish reasons, I don't want it to be Lou.

Maybe it will be Klay?

I think it's entirely possible it's Klay. He's the overlooked guy on the Warriors. Think he had a solid case last year for All-NBA 3rd team and was left off.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Awesome post.

Sometimes folks act like it causes them physical pain to admit they're wrong.

Our debate remained civil. So, we all were able to appreciate the others opinion.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope LeBron picks Kyrie. Then during the game LBJ could hit Mr. Flat Earth in the face w/ a no-look pass.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wiggy be like

tLZaBUd.gif

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope LeBron picks Kyrie. Then during the game LBJ could hit Mr. Flat Earth in the face w/ a no-look pass.
I hope Durant picks all the Warriors.

That would be the ultimate middle finger to the rest of the League.

They would essentially be saying.....

You Motherfuckers can buddy up all you want.

Still can't beat us...lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Durant picks all the Warriors.

That would be the ultimate middle finger to the rest of the League.

They would essentially be saying.....

You Motherfuckers can buddy up all you want.

Still can't beat us...lol

Now that would be hilarious.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yet he leads the entire league in defensive rebounds per game. Pretty damn impressive for someone who only plays on one side of half court!

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never agreed with fan voting for an all star game in any sport. Good to see the NBA has curbed it a little.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They decide all the starters now.

Curry missing a qaurter of the games and getting the most votes show it is a popularity contest. Cousins getting in is a joke, I figured you would have to cross half court on over half the possessions to qualify. Embiid missed to many games.

Of course it's a popularity contest. It's always been a popularity contest. It's the fans game. So it's the players that the fans want to see.

The NBA markets the All-Star Game as the fans game, so that's who should vote. The players and media should have zero say, imo.

The main thing that's wrong with the All Star Game is that the players don't really give much effort anymore. It used to be 2.5-3 quarters of the players showing off their talents with the final 1.5 or so quarters being competitive and trying to win.

Now it's just 4 quarters of "Hey, watch this."

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the stupidest idea ever.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say that, but players have bonuses based on making it, so I doubt they think so.

It doesn't matter whether the players think so or not. It's how the NBA markets the game. If the players/teams have an issue with it, then take away the vote, but don't be surprised if there is backlash from the fans and don't market it as the fans game.

No longer being allowed to attach bonuses to a meaningless game was a smart move. But it also makes it even more of the fans game.

Last edited:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter whether the players think so or not. It's how the NBA markets the game. If the players/teams have an issue with it, then take away the vote, but don't be surprised if there is backlash from the fans and don't market it as the fans game.

No longer being allowed to attach bonuses to a meaningless game was a smart move. But it also makes it even more of the fans game.

The issue is the players stopped caring, so fan vote or not fewer and fewer fans are watching because the players care even less. It is not a fun game to watch anymore.

The issue is how do you incentivize the players to try? I can't think of anything that can be done.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is the players stopped caring, so fan vote or not fewer and fewer fans are watching because the players care even less. It is not a fun game to watch anymore.

The issue is how do you incentivize the players to try? I can't think of anything that can be done.

Yeah, that's a good question. Outside of an all or nothing cash prize to the winning team...I'm not sure what would work.

Maybe the winning team gets stock in Big Baller Brand? :noidea:

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet he leads the entire league in defensive rebounds per game. Pretty damn impressive for someone who only plays on one side of half court!

It is more that he seems to hunt stats defensively. He sometimes gives up easy scoring chances because he goes for steals and he often prioritized rebounding position ahead of providing good help defense.

In other words, it is quite possible to rack up defensive rebounds and steals and be a poor/lazy defender at the same time.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using this topic to share my picks for the rest of the team. Share yours too. Keep in mind its 2 more backcourt players (guards), 3 more frontcourt (f and c), and 2 wildcards

East: Wall, Oladipo, Love, Horford, Pozingis, Beal, Drummond

Last spot was tough between Drummond, Walker, Whiteside, and Simmons. Felt like one all star was enough for Philly and Charlotte isn't good this year and Walker's numbers are down just slightly. I gave Drummond the edge over Whiteside because he's played more games.

West: Westbrook, Butler, Green, KAT, Aldridge, Lillard, Lou Williams

The last 2 spots were really hard here. Left out Thompson, George, Jordan. Went with Lillard because this dude is a baller and he's constantly getting overlooked. He needs to stop getting snubbed. And I've got Sweet Lou just edging out Thompson as he's having a career year. He's pretty much been keeping the Clippers alive all by himself

Missed it by one in each conference. Had Drummond instead of Lowry, Williams instead of Thompson.

I agree with the TNT crew though. Since its a school yard pick now, there's no reason for all stars to be conferences. It should just be the 12 best players period.

Still would have liked to seen Williams get in though. Dude is having a career year in his 13th season and has put that Clippers team on his back. He will likely never have another opportunity to be an all star. They should have found a way to give him the nod.