• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith: The Person

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is not about football or contracts, just the person. I don't expect it to have much entries or discussions, just be here to add stuff from time to time.

There will be one for Jamaal Charles and other Chiefs when I come across one.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL No idea how good a person Alex is, but I can say quite confidently write that he is not "the man"!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL No idea how good a person Alex is, but I can say quite confidently write that he is not "the man"!

Haha, the ":" is not meant as "is" in this instance. I started a thread a year or so ago on the Niners board calling it Kaepernick Off the Field for non-football stuff like his tattoos, adoption, and charitable stuff, etc. Maybe I should have labeled Smith's similarly here.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, the ":" is not meant as "is" in this instance.

Sorry, bro. Alex might be a great guy. In my opinion, however, he is not a great NFL QB. Pretty much the prototype of mediocre, in fact.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, bro. Alex might be a great guy. In my opinion, however, he is not a great NFL QB. Pretty much the prototype of mediocre, in fact.

Opinions are opinions. I think some underrate him and some overrate him. Either way, it's just an opinion and I watch for sport. I grew up a Niners fan and went to the University of Utah for a semester before transferring to USC. So I'm familiar with Smith. Except when it comes in direct conflict, I root for the man. Growing up as a Niners fan, team is more important than the player.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll always be right around the middle of the pack of NFL QB's, which is someone you can win with.

CusswordJim

playing with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The title of the thread was misleading to me....I was like...huh?

I hope Smith is a good dude....I want him to be a great QB, but that is something he will never be :-(

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big gamble by the Chiefs FO. Nice to see this get done so now Houston can be the focus. Somewhat surprised this got done before Justin Houston.

I don't think the franchise tag was ever going to be given to Smith. It was either going to be a long term deal at less if Smith dropped a bit, at more if KC won playoff games, or let him go. Franchise tag is higher for a QB. So, given this, I thought that locking down Smith gave the Chiefs leverage in Houston's deal. Now, the Chiefs can legitimately say, the tag is yours unless you make a deal. Maybe make the first two years of a proposed deal be tag-equivalent in pay and guaranteed and make the remaining 3-4 years in line with the top defensive players but not guaranteed?

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big gamble by the Chiefs FO. Nice to see this get done so now Houston can be the focus. Somewhat surprised this got done before Justin Houston.

I think it's because they can fall back on putting the franchise tag on Houston next year, so they wanted to get this done first. It'll be interesting to see where that goes, hopefully it dosen't affect his play.:whistle:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's because they can fall back on putting the franchise tag on Houston next year, so they wanted to get this done first. It'll be interesting to see where that goes, hopefully it dosen't affect his play.:whistle:

pretty much a case of "here goes nothing"...

like you, i'm hoping for the best...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelissero: NFL with no plans to expand into other days

SMITH'S STAND: Quarterback Alex Smith made a stand in negotiations with the Kansas City Chiefs – not just for himself, but for the next veteran QB who isn't interested in a pay-as-you-go deal like the ones signed in recent months by San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick and Cincinnati's Andy Dalton.

Smith, 30, strongly suggested to USA TODAY Sports during training camp he wouldn't take Dalton's deal. So, the Chiefs had a choice: Commit financially to Smith as their QB for the next three years, or let him play out the last year of his old deal and take their chances.

It's not surprising they chose the former course, given supply and demand. The four-year extension Smith signed last week included $30.9 million over the first two years that's fully guaranteed, plus a $14.1 million base salary in 2016 that will become fully guaranteed in March.

If NFL teams had their way, every deal would have just a one-year guarantee. And for players such as Kaepernick and Dalton – second-round picks under a rookie wage scale that made their four-year rookie deals worth about $5 million – cashing in however they can makes sense.

Had Smith taken a similar deal as a nine-year veteran with over $65 million in career earnings, though, it would've signaled something else for quarterbacks going forward. If it's good enough for all these guys, a team might ask the next veteran QB, why isn't it good enough for you?

The list with expiring contracts after the 2015 season is a distinguished one, including the New York Giants' Eli Manning, San Diego's Philip Rivers, Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and Arizona's Carson Palmer.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I didn't write it nor do I agree with every word, just wanted to share: Why I love Alex Smith : KansasCityChiefs

I have heard a lot of people say something like this, just to put him down. Saying he's a great guy but not very good at football, yada yada yada. Save the condescension, IMO. It's like those who trash him and say they root for him every Sunday because it's their team. I believe the majority, but you know there are those who watch the whole game and criticize the way to the point that maybe they would rather have enjoyed an interception at the end of the game?