• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith Stats.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty, this guy should be your man. He came out of college from a spread option QB and has learned how to be a good NFL QB. :suds:

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a smart deal, even if they bungled the KC situation over the last few years.

I think it could be argued Smith is better than KC.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also known as...worse than what we had, older than what we had, and a Kendall fuller less than what we had.

Older? He can play for another 3-4 years at his current level of play......he's like a fine wine, getting better with age.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Older? He can play for another 3-4 years at his current level of play......he's like a fine wine, getting better with age.

Yes older. He's 34 cousins is 30.

Why would we assume he'll keep getting better. Cousins wouldve been more likely to improve and...was already the better QB!

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes older. He's 34 cousins is 30.

Why would we assume he'll keep getting better. Cousins wouldve been more likely to improve and...was already the better QB!

He had his best season in 2017. I doubt he gets BETTER, but if he can maintain what he did in 2017?

I think that's pretty good. He doesn't make the stupid throws KC does at times. KC is very good but he also throws his share of INT's. Smith is very good at not turning the ball over. That's big for a QB.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had his best season in 2017. I doubt he gets BETTER, but if he can maintain what he did in 2017?

I think that's pretty good. He doesn't make the stupid throws KC does at times. KC is very good but he also throws his share of INT's. Smith is very good at not turning the ball over. That's big for a QB.

Smith had a spike year at age 34. That screams regression. The odds he has those numbers again are low.

Yes smith turns the ball over less... because he's busy holding his team back by being a game manager. That's not better it's just accepting mediocrity with no upside. I'll take the higher variance option every time.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Smith sucks compared to some of the other options but I think for a couple of million more they keep Cousin's and have a better QB and still have a good CB in Fuller.

IMO Andy Reid is a very good QB coach so it isn't like Jay (who I also think is a very good QB coach) is going to improve on Smith at this point. Not to mention Smith had better WRs and a much better running game.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Smith sucks compared to some of the other options but I think for a couple of million more they keep Cousin's and have a better QB and still have a good CB in Fuller.

IMO Andy Reid is a very good QB coach so it isn't like Jay (who I also think is a very good QB coach) is going to improve on Smith at this point. Not to mention Smith had better WRs and a much better running game.
Its also very likely that Reid has seen Smith enough to know that it was time to trade him......kinda like Donovan McNabb. Bodes well for us, huh?

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy can't seem to manage a game clock, but he sure does a good job of getting max value for QB's when they are done.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its also very likely that Reid has seen Smith enough to know that it was time to trade him......kinda like Donovan McNabb. Bodes well for us, huh?

I am not looking at it like that. He just came off his best year ever. I think Andy has decided to go with Mahomes. There were rumors all year that this might be Smith's last year. I think Smith is the best NFL option they had. At least I am hoping that Smith is a little more dedicated than McNabb was.

shark nailed this forever ago. Dan and Bruce just weren't going to sign him unless they got him on the cheap which in my mind just says they weren't going to sign him. For a couple of years this is the same team more or less or close to same level minus Fuller.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not looking at it like that. He just came off his best year ever. I think Andy has decided to go with Mahomes. There were rumors all year that this might be Smith's last year. I think Smith is the best NFL option they had. At least I am hoping that Smith is a little more dedicated than McNabb was.

shark nailed this forever ago. Dan and Bruce just weren't going to sign him unless they got him on the cheap which in my mind just says they weren't going to sign him. For a couple of years this is the same team more or less or close to same level minus Fuller.
I guess my point is that if Andy Reid thought that Smith gave them the best chance to win this coming year, do you think he does this trade? I don't. No,, Andy has determined that Mahomes is the better bet for this year and going forward. Remember, Smith had one year left on his contract so there was no urgency to do anything on Reid's part. He could have kept Smith and still groomed Mahomes until he was ready to take the helm. And if Reid thinks that a 2nd year guy is better than Smith then that tells me a lot. First, it tells me that Smith is not Cousins. I don't think anyone in their right mind says that Mahomes is better than Cousins. But someone with intimate knowledge of both has made the explicit statement that Mahomes is better than Smith.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my point is that if Andy Reid thought that Smith gave them the best chance to win this coming year, do you think he does this trade? I don't. No,, Andy has determined that Mahomes is the better bet for this year and going forward. Remember, Smith had one year left on his contract so there was no urgency to do anything on Reid's part. He could have kept Smith and still groomed Mahomes until he was ready to take the helm. And if Reid thinks that a 2nd year guy is better than Smith then that tells me a lot. First, it tells me that Smith is not Cousins. I don't think anyone in their right mind says that Mahomes is better than Cousins. But someone with intimate knowledge of both has made the explicit statement that Mahomes is better than Smith.

For Andy Reid, dealing Smith and getting a 3rd plus Fuller was simply Business.

For Bruce and Dan, not even attempting to make an offer to Kirk was personal.

If they had any intention of even trying to keep Kirk, an offer would have been made. And frankly it would look a lot better to the rest of the world (minus the ABC crowd of course) If they had at least made an attempt and been rebuffed. As it stands, it looks like they just said we dont think we have a shot at getting him, so lets throw MORE resources at the QB position.

By my count, thats three 1st, One 2nd, One 3rd One 4th and one 6th round pick and a player we have thrown at the QB position since 2012 alone.

The redskins fan in me hopes this works out.

The realist in me expects this to turn out much like the chasing of George and McNabb, and the wheels will keep spinning. Yet another major off field win for Dan and Bruce.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty, this guy should be your man. He came out of college from a spread option QB and has learned how to be a good NFL QB. :suds:

Can't wait to read your response to this, since you made it up, while not remembering that a guy like that was not my choice.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is an interesting read and one that I will not disagree with, however, the one point that I will talk about relates to Smith having one year left on his contract in Kansas City.

One of the issues that I've always had with this organization is their penchant to hold on to players longer than their trade value. It happened with Alfred Morris and we got no return for him. Kansas City decided to upgrade their back-up a year ago in, because that's what good organizations do. Now they have a QB in Mahomes to replace Smith, who BTW would have little value next year because his contract would be expired. On the other hand our plan beyond Kirk is Colt McCoy....really?? Even if they would have managed to keep Kirk, an upgrade behind him was warranted, if for no other reason, than to be prepared, versus, not being so.

What does this trade tell us about this organization's confidence in McCoy to step in, now that they've once again come to the realization that there's not going to be a LTD with Kirk? Further, if they felt that this trade was in their best interest, what's the point in keeping Colt around?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Andy Reid, dealing Smith and getting a 3rd plus Fuller was simply Business.

For Bruce and Dan, not even attempting to make an offer to Kirk was personal.

If they had any intention of even trying to keep Kirk, an offer would have been made. And frankly it would look a lot better to the rest of the world (minus the ABC crowd of course) If they had at least made an attempt and been rebuffed. As it stands, it looks like they just said we dont think we have a shot at getting him, so lets throw MORE resources at the QB position.

By my count, thats three 1st, One 2nd, One 3rd One 4th and one 6th round pick and a player we have thrown at the QB position since 2012 alone.

The redskins fan in me hopes this works out.

The realist in me expects this to turn out much like the chasing of George and McNabb, and the wheels will keep spinning. Yet another major off field win for Dan and Bruce.

So, looking back to my idea of upgrading the back-up QB position, I would love to read what the naysayers think about that now!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is an interesting read and one that I will not disagree with, however, the one point that I will talk about relates to Smith having one year left on his contract in Kansas City.

One of the issues that I've always had with this organization is their penchant to hold on to players longer than their trade value. It happened with Alfred Morris and we got no return for him. Kansas City decided to upgrade their back-up a year ago in, because that's what good organizations do. Now they have a QB in Mahomes to replace Smith, who BTW would have little value next year because his contract would be expired. On the other hand our plan beyond Kirk is Colt McCoy....really?? Even if they would have managed to keep Kirk, an upgrade behind him was warranted, if for no other reason, than to be prepared, versus, not being so.

What does this trade tell us about this organization's confidence in McCoy to step in, now that they've once again come to the realization that there's not going to be a LTD with Kirk? Further, if they felt that this trade was in their best interest, what's the point in keeping Colt around?
Valid point. But my point was more about how Reid views Smith this year. If he thought he was the guy to take them anywhere this year, he would be hanging onto him. But clearly Reid believes Mahomes gives them their best lineup this year and going forward.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valid point. But my point was more about how Reid views Smith this year. If he thought he was the guy to take them anywhere this year, he would be hanging onto him. But clearly Reid believes Mahomes gives them their best lineup this year and going forward.

Yeah, I get that, but, the business side of me gives me reason to believe that there was more to that decision than a Mahomes vs. Smith and who gives them the best chance at winning next year. I believe that the choice to start Mahomes over Smith happened last year when they made the move up to draft him. To be sure, after a season under the tutelage of their coaches they were convinced that the decision was correct and they now had a valued piece to trade and improve their team before his value dropped to nothing in free agency.

It's a great formula to move players a bit earlier than a bit late, in order to get value in return vs nothing. Yes it takes foresight and preparation, but good and great teams do this routinely, our team never does.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McCoy is fine as a backup. I get your point given that KC is gone now and with that whole situation being so up in the air we should have brought in a young guy at some point but in reality KC as the starter, Colt as the backup should be just fine.