• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aging Spurs about to get older

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it is still completely irrelevant to the point of the thread.

So why include it?

Only 1 reason I can think of.

Spurs 4-0 to start this season without Kawhi. Still think he's irreplaceable??? Or did Pop's system and culture have a greater impact on him that you want to admit?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, todd. Somebody that's not a Lakers or Warriors fan thinks you're a moron too.

Kinda ruins everything you've been saying. Unless you want to add Celtics fans to that list too?

Might as well add every NBA team to that list.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs 4-0 to start this season without Kawhi. Still think he's irreplaceable??? Or did Pop's system and culture have a greater impact on him that you want to admit?

Seriously?!? We already knew that you know virtually nothing about sports, but this post pretty well seals it.

It's 4 games. Teams, especially good teams like the Spurs, tend to step up and pick up the slack when a top player is out for a short time. That's what they are supposed to do.

However, if the Spurs were to lose Kawhi for an entire season or even for a long stretch, it would eventually catch up to them and their record would reflect it. The culture and system that Pop has set up there might enable them to go without him for longer than a lot of other teams losing a top player, but it would catch up to them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh?

Where did I say any of that?

Everyone knows Pop's system and culture are a huge part of the Spurs success. They have been consistently winning regular season games while their best players watched from the sidelines for the last 10 years. Nobody should be surprised by this.

But yeah, Kawhi is irreplaceblable when the games matter most. I think that was proven abundantly clear in last year's West Finals.

Feel free to make your next inane jab at me when it comes to you sometime next month. I will be waiting to shoot it down like all the others.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HurricaneDij is a woman?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously?!? We already knew that you know virtually nothing about sports, but this post pretty well seals it.

It's 4 games. Teams, especially good teams like the Spurs, tend to step up and pick up the slack when a top player is out for a short time. That's what they are supposed to do.

However, if the Spurs were to lose Kawhi for an entire season or even for a long stretch, it would eventually catch up to them and their record would reflect it. The culture and system that Pop has set up there might enable them to go without him for longer than a lot of other teams losing a top player, but it would catch up to them.

Look, I think Kawhi is a top 5 player in our league. I think he'll probably end up in the Hall of Fame.

But, he's not better than Westbrook like just about everyone on this board says he is. There's a reason the MVP voters went with Westbrook over Kawhi in spite of the Spurs' considerably better record than OKC. He is a system player...

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, I think Kawhi is a top 5 player in our league. I think he'll probably end up in the Hall of Fame.

But, he's not better than Westbrook like just about everyone on this board says he is. There's a reason the MVP voters went with Westbrook over Kawhi in spite of the Spurs' considerably better record than OKC. He is a system player...
The MVP voters went with Westbrook because he averaged a fucking triple-double, and no other reason. Yeah, he might be a better playmaker and passer, but Kawhi is better defensively AND he's elite offensively, while still being efficient. Kawhi is the literal #1 option of the Spurs, while having solid role players around him. You can't legitimately think he's still a system player and have a decent reason to back it up these days, cause he's proven otherwise.

How is this man a system player when he's the #1 option, and the team can't last 10 games without him without crumbling? It makes no sense. He is THE GUY. He can create his own shots off the dribble, he can pull-up from mid-range, he's an elite 3pt shooter, elite FT shooter, and he's starting to somewhat develop a postup game.

You're trying to tell me that now, in this point of his career, he couldn't go elsewhere and do what he's doing now? That's absolutely foolish. Yeah, his shooting percentages went up when he came out of college because the Spurs had excellent coaches to help him do that. HE put in the work to make it happen though. "The system" didn't do the work for him. HE did it. He's an absolute workhorse.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TheKlaw If the MVP award was voted simply on who does and does not have a triple-double then why don't we just all have a vote???:scratch:

While the majority of your post after that particular line is in fact true, the fact that you have Kawhi's nickname as your SportsHoopla ID I would say suggests there's some bias involved....

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TheKlaw If the MVP award was voted simply on who does and does not have a triple-double then why don't we just all have a vote???:scratch:

While the majority of your post after that particular line is in fact true, the fact that you have Kawhi's nickname as your SportsHoopla ID I would say suggests there's some bias involved....
Only certain people get to vote for MVP. The fact that he averaged a triple-double was more than enough to warrant a vote in most people's eyes, considering he was only the 2nd person ever to do it. Kind of extraordinary.

Also, forget my name. As long as what I'm typing is right and makes sense, my name shouldn't matter.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, he's not better than Westbrook like just about everyone on this board says he is.

The reason everyone on the board says that Kawhi is better, is because he is.

There's a reason the MVP voters went with Westbrook over Kawhi in spite of the Spurs' considerably better record than OKC.

By this logic, Westbrook is also better than Lebron and KD. Just because a guy wins MVP doesn't mean he is the best player.

Steve Nash won 2 MVP's...Kobe only won 1.

Yet Kobe was the better player.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah Russ becoming the 1st player since '62 to average a trip-dub didn't heavily factor into him getting the MVP award. And as far as Kawhi I'd take him on my team before Westbrook.