• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aftermath

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Gronkowski reportedly frustrated with Belichick, has one condition for return
The Patriots tight end is apparently only going to play this year under one condition

It's been nearly two months since New England's season ended in Super Bowl LII and we still have no idea if Rob Gronkowski is going to play in 2018. However, as things stand now, it seems that the Patriots tight end is leaning toward returning, but with one condition.

According to ESPN.com, Gronkowski is 'pretty certain' he's going to return in 2018, but here's the catch: He's only willing to play for as long as Tom Brady remains with the team. The report does also note that Gronk hasn't actually made a final decision about what he's going to do.

The fact that Brady is being tied to Gronk's decision tells you all you need to know about what's going on in New England right now. Things seem to be in slight disarray and everyone is being coy about their future, including Brady.

Although Brady has said that he's going to play at least one more year, who knows what will happen after that. The Patriots quarterback has said he wants to play until he's 45, but he's softened his stance on that over the past few months.

During an interview for the final scene of his Facebook documentary, Brady seemed to suggest that he might not be planning to play much longer. Will Brinson went over the interview last month (and you can read that by clicking here), but the biggest takeaway is that it's not very clear whether or not Brady is still happy doing what he's doing, which could lead him to call it quits well before he turns 45.

Back in January, it was reported that there was some serious tension between Brady and Bill Belichick, but those aren't the only two people with issues in the Patriots organization. According to ESPN.com, Gronk is also having his own issues with Belichick. Apparently, by the time the 2017 season ended, Gronk was mentally worn down by "The Patriot Way," which is one reason why he started contemplating retirement.

Remember, the Gronk retirement news kind of came out of nowhere at the Super Bowl when the tight end shocked everyone by casually admitting that he had actually been contemplating retirement for weeks.

"I don't know how you heard that, but I mean I'm definitely going to look at my future, for sure," Gronkowski said after the Patriots' 41-33 loss to the Eagles. "I'm going to sit down in the next couple of weeks and see where I'm at."

Instead of a "couple of weeks," Gronk has now taken a couple of months. As a matter of fact, the only time Gronk has been asked about retirement this entire offseason came on St. Patrick's when he accidentally showed up at my bachelor party dressed as a leprechaun and said he was going to play for the "69ers," which didn't really help answer the retirement question.

Besides being mentally worn down, Gronk has also been dealing with some serious injuries, including a concussion that nearly kept him out of the Super Bowl.

One other thing possibly holding Gronk back from returning is the nature of his relationship with Belichick. Not only is Gronk feeling some mental fatigue, but the reverse also seems to be true. According to ESPN, Belichick has been frustrated with Gronk because he's not sure whether his tight end is "all-in" when it comes to football. ESPN also noted that Belichick wasn't thrilled when he became aware of Gronk's social media post to Danny Amendola after the receiver signed with the Dolphins.

In a picture posted to Instagram, Gronk wrote, "It was a honor playing with ya the past 5 years, Danny Amendola. Thanks for all the hugs and memories! Stay lit, Be FREE, Be HAPPY."

The thing that irked Belichick is that, apparently, it wasn't a coincidence that Gronk decided to capitalize FREE and HAPPY in his caption. The feeling around Boston was that Gronk was taking a shot at the Patriots and Brady played along, because he "liked" the picture on Instagram.

When you start getting upset about someone's social media posts, that's usually a good sign that maybe it's time to break up, and now, I'm not even sure if I'm talking about actual relationships or Belichick and Gronk.

Of course, if Gronk returns to the Patriots and proves to Belichick that he's fully committed to football, then the two men will likely be able to bury the hatchet. On the other hand, if Gronk wants to keep playing, but not in New England, that could open the door for a trade, which could be highly beneficial for both sides.

The Patriots would lose a disgruntled star, but they would likely be able to land some huge draft capital in return. Speaking of the draft, Gronk is probably going to have to figure out whether or not he's going to retire by then and that's because his decision will likely figure heavily into New England's draft plans.

If Gronk doesn't return, he'll have a lot of options on the table. Not only are Sylvester Stallone and the Rock trying to convince him to be an actor, but several wrestlers are also trying to convince him to join WWE. The tight end also has a role in an upcoming Mel Gibson movie.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m all for trading him. Everyone knows our record without his services. We won’t turn into the Browns if he is traded. Lots of solid TE’s in the draft. I love Gronk. Love watching him play. But it’s time to move on.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronk has always been a free spirit and, based on what has been heard from media sources (not always 100% true, to be sure), he really doesn't need the money he would earn playing another season or two. That said, he would be playing because he wants to, not because he needs to. I could see him playing another year or two with the Patriots. I could just as easily see him retiring or being traded to another NFL team in the National Conference. It would be a shame to lose Gronk but, at this time in his life, he needs to consider his health, his mental attitude and whether or not he still has the fire in his belly. Are there good tight ends available in the draft? Certainly, but a player like Gronk is a once in a generation talent and, like Brady, could be replaced by a very capable athlete but his achievements would be very hard to duplicate.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Gronkowski reportedly frustrated with Belichick, has one condition for return
The Patriots tight end is apparently only going to play this year under one condition

It's been nearly two months since New England's season ended in Super Bowl LII and we still have no idea if Rob Gronkowski is going to play in 2018. However, as things stand now, it seems that the Patriots tight end is leaning toward returning, but with one condition.

According to ESPN.com, Gronkowski is 'pretty certain' he's going to return in 2018, but here's the catch: He's only willing to play for as long as Tom Brady remains with the team. The report does also note that Gronk hasn't actually made a final decision about what he's going to do.

The fact that Brady is being tied to Gronk's decision tells you all you need to know about what's going on in New England right now. Things seem to be in slight disarray and everyone is being coy about their future, including Brady.

Although Brady has said that he's going to play at least one more year, who knows what will happen after that. The Patriots quarterback has said he wants to play until he's 45, but he's softened his stance on that over the past few months.

During an interview for the final scene of his Facebook documentary, Brady seemed to suggest that he might not be planning to play much longer. Will Brinson went over the interview last month (and you can read that by clicking here), but the biggest takeaway is that it's not very clear whether or not Brady is still happy doing what he's doing, which could lead him to call it quits well before he turns 45.

Back in January, it was reported that there was some serious tension between Brady and Bill Belichick, but those aren't the only two people with issues in the Patriots organization. According to ESPN.com, Gronk is also having his own issues with Belichick. Apparently, by the time the 2017 season ended, Gronk was mentally worn down by "The Patriot Way," which is one reason why he started contemplating retirement.

Remember, the Gronk retirement news kind of came out of nowhere at the Super Bowl when the tight end shocked everyone by casually admitting that he had actually been contemplating retirement for weeks.

"I don't know how you heard that, but I mean I'm definitely going to look at my future, for sure," Gronkowski said after the Patriots' 41-33 loss to the Eagles. "I'm going to sit down in the next couple of weeks and see where I'm at."

Instead of a "couple of weeks," Gronk has now taken a couple of months. As a matter of fact, the only time Gronk has been asked about retirement this entire offseason came on St. Patrick's when he accidentally showed up at my bachelor party dressed as a leprechaun and said he was going to play for the "69ers," which didn't really help answer the retirement question.

Besides being mentally worn down, Gronk has also been dealing with some serious injuries, including a concussion that nearly kept him out of the Super Bowl.

One other thing possibly holding Gronk back from returning is the nature of his relationship with Belichick. Not only is Gronk feeling some mental fatigue, but the reverse also seems to be true. According to ESPN, Belichick has been frustrated with Gronk because he's not sure whether his tight end is "all-in" when it comes to football. ESPN also noted that Belichick wasn't thrilled when he became aware of Gronk's social media post to Danny Amendola after the receiver signed with the Dolphins.

In a picture posted to Instagram, Gronk wrote, "It was a honor playing with ya the past 5 years, Danny Amendola. Thanks for all the hugs and memories! Stay lit, Be FREE, Be HAPPY."

The thing that irked Belichick is that, apparently, it wasn't a coincidence that Gronk decided to capitalize FREE and HAPPY in his caption. The feeling around Boston was that Gronk was taking a shot at the Patriots and Brady played along, because he "liked" the picture on Instagram.

When you start getting upset about someone's social media posts, that's usually a good sign that maybe it's time to break up, and now, I'm not even sure if I'm talking about actual relationships or Belichick and Gronk.

Of course, if Gronk returns to the Patriots and proves to Belichick that he's fully committed to football, then the two men will likely be able to bury the hatchet. On the other hand, if Gronk wants to keep playing, but not in New England, that could open the door for a trade, which could be highly beneficial for both sides.

The Patriots would lose a disgruntled star, but they would likely be able to land some huge draft capital in return. Speaking of the draft, Gronk is probably going to have to figure out whether or not he's going to retire by then and that's because his decision will likely figure heavily into New England's draft plans.

If Gronk doesn't return, he'll have a lot of options on the table. Not only are Sylvester Stallone and the Rock trying to convince him to be an actor, but several wrestlers are also trying to convince him to join WWE. The tight end also has a role in an upcoming Mel Gibson movie.

I’m all for trading him. Everyone knows our record without his services. We won’t turn into the Browns if he is traded. Lots of solid TE’s in the draft. I love Gronk. Love watching him play. But it’s time to move on.

I can understand why some players (especially vets) are tired of BB's BS. This really reminds me of the 2007 Giants. Players were sick of Tom Coughlin. Strahan was considering retiring. A lot of those Giants players contribute their success that season to Coughlin lighting up a bit. Maybe BB could take a page from TC. He won't......

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PREFACE: Comments not directed top @BigKen

1. Has anyone actually read or heard Gronk say he is not returning? I sure have not.

2. Has anyone hear or read Gronk say he will only play if TB12 returns?

3. Has anyone heard or read TB12 say he would not return ?

4. Is anyone else bored with the media creating stories to garner attention? So fucking sick of the media

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Boston Sports Media is chomping at the bit waiting for the fall of the Patriots Empire as much as any other entity or fan of any other team.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Has anyone actually read or heard Gronk say he is not returning? I sure have not.

2. Has anyone hear or read Gronk say he will only play if TB12 returns?

3. Has anyone heard or read TB12 say he would not return ?

4. Is anyone else bored with the media creating stories to garner attention? So fucking sick of the media

Gronk is the one who's actually causing a lot of these issues. He's been giving short interviews and they always have either double meanings or can be taken several different ways. I heard the most recent one and he didn say outright that he'd be back ""IF"" Tom Brady came back ""THIS"" year. That has sent the media into a total shitstorm. That allows the media to start asking questions and then discussing the same ad nauseum. The first question is....Does Gronk know that Tom is not coming back?? Then....Are Gronk and Tom calling it quits together this year?? Are Tom and Gronk looking to be paid like everyone else?? And on and On and on.........

On NBCSB (NBC Sports Boston) Sports Sunday last night, Mike Felger (the great antagonist), Mike Flynn (Former NFL OL ) and Albert Breer discussed Gronk and his interviews for about 15 minutes. Flynn give his opinion as a former player and just puts how he woukld feel or how he thinks someone else is feeling. Felger like to cause a shitstorm and then says, "I'm not make assumptions, I'm just asking questions everyone else is asking." Breer is a former ESPN and NFL.com reorter but tries to see things in a bit different light and generally will dig a hole halfway to China to get as much info as possible before he says anything.

Anyway, all three think that Gronk is pissed because Belichick gave Patrick Chung a $2M raise out of the clear blue for his "outstanding play and team work" last year. Gronk is basically saying, that he had an incentive driven contract last year and met all of the criteria to get it and now has contract that pays him $2.5M less this year. And I don't know who they were talking about, but they said a back up TE got a $12M contract this off season and he's not even in the top 8 TEs in the NFL and Gronk is making $3M less.

1. No. Gronk has said that he plans to play in 2018.
2. Yes. I heard the interview where he did say he'd play for the Patriots if TB12 played in 2018.
3. No, Brady has said he plans to play in 2018. (Just didn't say for the Patriots)
4. No question the media just loves to stir the pot. Problem is that Gronk keeps giving thyem bigger and bigger spoons.

Truth be told.......Robert Kraft has to get off his ass and deal with this issue once and for all. Either pay boith Brady and Gronk and move on or trade Gronk and move on or trade Brady and Gronk and move on. But just end this crap once and for all..........

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw something today that BB was not happy about something Gronk put on Twitter, or something like that. I didn't read it. I might go back an try and find it.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw something today that BB was not happy about something Gronk put on Twitter, or something like that. I didn't read it. I might go back an try and find it.

Gronks tweet to Dole. Be FREE. Be HAPPY. He cap'd those words.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronks tweet to Dole. Be FREE. Be HAPPY. He cap'd those words.
If this is the case BB needs to chill, but he won't. His methods are old school and proven to work. And he has no qualms getting rid of guys. Make no mistake about he runs this team not TB12

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick is questioning whether or not Gronk is "All In". If he's even thinking about trading Gronk, he just devalued him. He just wiped out any chance for a first round pick and possibly a second rounder.

Now youn see how smart Gronk is........."I'll be back, only if TB12 is back."

He just took the trade card out of Belichick's deck. If he can't play with Brady, he's done. Fuck you Bill.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have all the respect in the world for what Belichick has accomplished, especially with the Patriots. BUT, and this is a big BUT, he does not own this team. He has a boss, actually he has two and both are named Kraft, Bob and Johnathan.

From my cheap seat, I think Johnathan has started taking over control of the team. He is the President and COO. The Patriots will do anything to protect their brand and they won't let Belichick do anything to hurt it.

I'd guess that JK wasn't very happy with the result of the JG trade last year when other teams have said they would have given up a first round pick and more. If that's true, then BB made a deal that not only hurts the Krafts, but hurts the team and that could be a potential ticket out of Foxboro.

Belichick is 'old school' and it's worked well for the past 18 years, but times are changing and professional football players know that their window of opportunity is very limited. They want to make money, but they also want to enjoy what they're doing while they earn it. Playing for Belichick may not be the way they want to do it any more. Thenwindows are closing on this dynasty and it appears that they are not goingt to close smoothly. Time to call Marvin??

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick is questioning whether or not Gronk is "All In". If he's even thinking about trading Gronk, he just devalued him. He just wiped out any chance for a first round pick and possibly a second rounder.

Now youn see how smart Gronk is........."I'll be back, only if TB12 is back."

He just took the trade card out of Belichick's deck. If he can't play with Brady, he's done. Fuck you Bill.
I'm sorry how is this on Bill? Or am I misunderstanding the intent of the F-U Bill comment?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry how is this on Bill? Or am I misunderstanding the intent of the F-U Bill comment?

Belichick is wondering he's "All In".......

Gronk is saying he's all in as long as Brady's all in.

He's pretty much saying that he's playing with Brady or he's not playing at all. And he's saying not to bother trying to trade him unless he's trading him and Brady together.

It's oneupmanship.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick is wondering he's "All In".......

Gronk is saying he's all in as long as Brady's all in.

He's pretty much saying that he's playing with Brady or he's not playing at all. And he's saying not to bother trying to trade him unless he's trading him and Brady together.

It's oneupmanship.
So then he's not all in! All in means Gronk would be playing regardless of what TB12 does, Gronk is the one acting like a bitch here not BB. Gronk is under contract and BB has a draft coming up Gronk should be firmly committed his decision should have nothing to do with TB12. I don't think this is on BB at all I think this is all Gronk.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have all the respect in the world for what Belichick has accomplished, especially with the Patriots. BUT, and this is a big BUT, he does not own this team. He has a boss, actually he has two and both are named Kraft, Bob and Johnathan.

From my cheap seat, I think Johnathan has started taking over control of the team. He is the President and COO. The Patriots will do anything to protect their brand and they won't let Belichick do anything to hurt it.

I'd guess that JK wasn't very happy with the result of the JG trade last year when other teams have said they would have given up a first round pick and more. If that's true, then BB made a deal that not only hurts the Krafts, but hurts the team and that could be a potential ticket out of Foxboro.

Belichick is 'old school' and it's worked well for the past 18 years, but times are changing and professional football players know that their window of opportunity is very limited. They want to make money, but they also want to enjoy what they're doing while they earn it. Playing for Belichick may not be the way they want to do it any more. Thenwindows are closing on this dynasty and it appears that they are not goingt to close smoothly. Time to call Marvin??

I've actually been saying the same thing about Gruden coming back into the league. He just cut one of the better players in King all because he didn't like his personality. He keeps bringing in all of these over the hill players because he seems to be stuck in the past and cannot connect with the newer generation. Belichick is definitely running into more and more players speaking out on social media and showing up in videos he would rather not have online. This is just the new generation coming into the league and what we are seeing is this push for younger coaches becasue they need somebody to connect with the players.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Bill actually wondering if Gronk's all in or is the media saying Bill's wondering that? I haven't actually read any quotes from BB regarding Gronk but perhaps they exist.

My prediction is Gronk gets traded week 4 of the regular season after an impressive three first games. Everybody then calls BB an idiot after the Pats lose the next game, only to run the table after that and win the Super Bowl.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Bill actually wondering if Gronk's all in or is the media saying Bill's wondering that? I haven't actually read any quotes from BB regarding Gronk but perhaps they exist.

My prediction is Gronk gets traded week 4 of the regular season after an impressive three first games. Everybody then calls BB an idiot after the Pats lose the next game, only to run the table after that and win the Super Bowl.

I doubt you would find BB with any kind of quote like that. It is easy to see though there is some kind of rift. Now that doesn't mean they can't kiss and make up and move forward though. Gronk from the very beginning was always going to be one of the tougher players for Belichick to get along with. He has a lot of personality and isn't afraid to put it out there for all to see. That is very much against the Patriot Way but this is where talent trumps fit.