• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After my first month with an Android phone

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my own web hosting site and use my email through that. I wouldn't ever use a 'free' one (nothing is really truly free). I think I have a gmail account only for the required google account to access some of their crap and I can't say I've ever gone to see if there are any messages in it.

I do have a Samsung droid phone and for sure users should be aware of the privacy concerns. I look things up on it for work, but I really don't do social media or anything personal on it. I really don't even check my company email on it. I can run up the data, but mostly that's if I'm using the GPS navigation a lot. Still can't come close to what our plan calls for.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use my ISP via my wireless router. Have download many, many updates but yet my data usage according to ATT is under 10 MB.

I do the same for phone calls as well. I wont buy a phone that does not have Wifi calling on it. Even if my wireless provider is not in an area I can just go to the nearest restaurant and use their Wifi to make a call or a friends if at their house.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don't care, to be honest.

They are just looking for ways to make more money off you. *GASP*

Yet, what that actually means is the data that is collected from you is used to try and serve the most relevant ads and products to you. So that you are getting things that pertain to say College Football, rather than ads for Vagisil.

Because in order to get more money from me, it means they have to find ways to serve me better. And the better they "know you", the better they can do that.

If they start giving away my information to spammers and shit, then I'll change my mind.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I don't even say a dam* thing and my google on my phone pops up, "how can I help you?"

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out what the phone did to my Samba network on my Ubuntu machines. It was working fine until I plugged the phone in. I can see and access the Ubuntu machines just fine from Windows but not the other way around. Tells me there are no network computers. Hell the Ubuntu desktop can't even find the Ubuntu laptop. Used to be it was Windows that would cause me to reset the Linux machines.

I agree with @HaroldSeattle, not sure how the phone could do this. I plug both androids and iphones in on the linux side with no issues. Perhaps you had a recent Windows update that borked Samba on the linux side, that would be more likely/believable.

I just accessed my droid did some file operations, then fired up samba-4.4.13 with no issues accessing either side (with fully up-to-date Win10). If it's still not working for you, care to share your global settings in smb.conf?

I usually have this in my smb.conf global to help resolve the usual Windows/Samba flakeyness:

Code:
   name resolve order = bcast host

Or you could play around with the following by moving some things around:

Code:
   name resolve order = wins bcast lmhosts host