• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After 3 games we now know what team we are

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite apparent that we're one of those teams that only shows up for the first half of the game

Tough to find the root cause as to why, but usually these teams don't fix themselves until they lose, and even then they still don't fix it after half the time.

This year will be frustrating because of this, we might actually have a pretty good team if we can fix it. We led Washington State 28-7 and Oregon State 31-7 despite not playing near as well as we could in those halves.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just going to go with a win is a win a win at this point. We are bound to lose if we don't get our shit together and play 60 minutes

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just going to go with a win is a win a win at this point. We are bound to lose if we don't get our shit together and play 60 minutes

It is nice finally being unbeaten in October, we didn't play as well overall this week but still improved our 2nd half performance.

Our defense is strong, but are we screwed against these triple option teams?

Also is it me or does it seem like the offense executes better at a slower pace? I felt like when we went slower Rypien had better accuracy on his throws, and linemen made good blocks

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is nice finally being unbeaten in October, we didn't play as well overall this week but still improved our 2nd half performance.

Our defense is strong, but are we screwed against these triple option teams?

Also is it me or does it seem like the offense executes better at a slower pace? I felt like when we went slower Rypien had better accuracy on his throws, and linemen made good blocks

This week will test our D for sure hope Andy has a better game plan than years past. Not happy with our offense it is just McNichols up the middle on first and second down then throw on third down. Seems like Prince is calling plays again. I do agree with you slow it down and play ball. We are 4-0 so all is good

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This week will test our D for sure hope Andy has a better game plan than years past. Not happy with our offense it is just McNichols up the middle on first and second down then throw on third down. Seems like Prince is calling plays again. I do agree with you slow it down and play ball. We are 4-0 so all is good

I was quite drunk last night but I thought we passed a lot more on 1st and 2nd down until the 2nd half where we ran McNichols up the middle on first and second down. We should be a little more creative with McNichols with more counter runs and such. We do have a tendency to start running the same stuff after a while though I feel like if we slow it down a bit we can run better plays. Rypien seems like a smart enough player to read the defense and adjust, why not give him the time to do that?

Andy has made some great gameplans so far, unfortunately as far as I know he doesn't have any experience against the triple option so I don't know what to expect

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello all! Good to see that we have our own forum to discuss the Blue.

There is another Boise State fan that migrated with me from Rivals (Nod4Eight) and there will most likely be a couple more.

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I've liked what Avalos has done. I thought his game plan for WSU was great. I think we will have better success against these triple option teams than we did under Yates. Yates loved playing aggressive. But when defending the triple option you HAVE to play disciplined.

On offense, it does feel like we are a little stale. And I feel like we've been winning in spite of Rypien rather than because of him. Slow down the offense and let the kid make his reads. As stated above, McNichols should be run in more misdirection plays rather than right up the middle. He's shifty, let him use that.

That's my $0.02

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I've liked what Avalos has done. I thought his game plan for WSU was great. I think we will have better success against these triple option teams than we did under Yates. Yates loved playing aggressive. But when defending the triple option you HAVE to play disciplined.

On offense, it does feel like we are a little stale. And I feel like we've been winning in spite of Rypien rather than because of him. Slow down the offense and let the kid make his reads. As stated above, McNichols should be run in more misdirection plays rather than right up the middle. He's shifty, let him use that.

That's my $0.02
I agree with the McNichols up the middle. After it is shut down over and over you begin to wonder...what the fuck?
I'm happy to be 4-0 and with some adjustments, hopefully 5-0.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's my $0.02

I agree with the McNichols up the middle. After it is shut down over and over you begin to wonder...what the fuck?

I agree with both of you. I really have to see it to believe it when it comes to us defending the option considering we've never done well against it. Avalos has had some great gameplans though so we'll see how this one works.

Agree completely on the offense though, it's clear this super fast paced stuff isn't working, in fact I'll have the perfect example about it in a moment.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to remember here's the astounding stats from last year's incredibly bizarre game.

We had 40 first downs, New Mexico only had 11

We had 638 yards of offense, more than 200 more than New Mexico had.

New Mexico had FOUR plays of 40 or more yards two of them were more than 70

New Mexico didn't have a single 3rd down conversion all game

We ran 115 plays, let me spell that out ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN PLAYS!!!

New Mexico only ran 52.

Brett Rypien threw 75 passes and Sperbeck caught 20 of those for 281 yards

Of those 75 passes 10 of them were dropped 2 landed in the hands of New Mexico players

That game last year was just mind blowing

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's my $0.02

Well said!!

And welcome

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome to the hoop

I would really like to see Demas get some runs to the wide side, with 4.2 40 speed I think he could break if free.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avalos is obviously less aggressive than Yates was with bringing pressure and gambling to create big plays and turnovers, etc. That could be a good thing as we head into this match up against the triple option attack that we struggle to contain. The approach is resulting in less turnovers, but also fewer explosive plays given up. If we're going to continue to get pressure on the quarterback with less blitzing and less risk taking with a front four that is really playing well, then I'm all for it.
I'm liking what I see from Avalos (so far). His defensive seems technically sound and more disciplined. Steve Caldwell has done a bang up job with the D line too. The man has been around for a while and he can coach. I really like him. We'll see how this all translates tonight. It's put up or shut up time. We should not be losing to teams like New Mexico. That's simply not the standard. It's not acceptable.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we beat New Mexico, and in the first half we beat them pretty good

We decided not to run up the score which is a shame, wanted to see how we'd play in the 2nd half but we mostly just ran clock

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each week I'm sold a little more on Avalos. I agree with what Boise4Life said above - we'll have fewer turnovers etc, but give up fewer big plays as well. We seem to be playing just fundamental, sound defense - which is all we really need to do.
After beating up on New Mexico, I feel a lot better about our matchup with Air Force to end the regular season.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each week I'm sold a little more on Avalos. I agree with what Boise4Life said above - we'll have fewer turnovers etc, but give up fewer big plays as well. We seem to be playing just fundamental, sound defense - which is all we really need to do.
After beating up on New Mexico, I feel a lot better about our matchup with Air Force to end the regular season.

I agree, I kind of assumed it as a loss before but now I think we have a chance to beat them

Still I'm worried about that one, Air Force is tough to play at their place just last week they dominated Navy and completely stopped their offense for the most part. Navy followed it up by beating Houston, Todd Orlando has had a good gameplan against the option every time he's gone against it and Houston had a good run defense, yet Navy torched them

Could we face the same fate against a better academy?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYUNEGGED_zpsuaakbkdp.gif