• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Active HOFers?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You become a big Lee Smith fan all of a sudden? Lol

I could've put a lot of guys(a few) where I put Hiller.

I just wanted to be a homer is all.

I do think Lee smith is over-rated... at least overall... but his best seasons, were probably better than hillers... But you know most of my love for hiller is because he is a lefty... Probably the best lefty long reliever of all time... But he was still a long reliever...

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Hoffman is in

How do he and Smith compare?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Lee smith is over-rated... at least overall... but his best seasons, were probably better than hillers... But you know most of my love for hiller is because he is a lefty... Probably the best lefty long reliever of all time... But he was still a long reliever...
He's above Kluber on the alltime Ws list right now.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's pretty. Kudos to Dusty for finding a woman that is shorter than him :dhd:

I like normal looking cuties, she's like the everyday cute wife

Not that im throwing a supermodel out of bed, just sayin

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's above Kluber on the alltime Ws list right now.

Kluber is all about Quality over quantity.... He has 2 CY, and both seasons he was the clear CY... how many pitchers are the BEST for multiple seasons?? there have been many players that will not or did not make the HOF with 2 CY, but there has never been one that didn't make it with 3... and Kluber is so good right now, I can easily see him getting his third, if not this season, then soon...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kluber is all about Quality over quantity.... He has 2 CY, and both seasons he was the clear CY... how many pitchers are the BEST for multiple seasons?? there have been many players that will not or did not make the HOF with 2 CY, but there has never been one that didn't make it with 3... and Kluber is so good right now, I can easily see him getting his third, if not this season, then soon...

Koufax is considered an all time great and he only had 5 years of great baseball. Kluber has been great, but not Koufax great so I think he will need to extend his peak to make it. I think if he pitches 3 more years showing minor decline he is a surefire 1st ballot.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Koufax is considered an all time great and he only had 5 years of great baseball. Kluber has been great, but not Koufax great so I think he will need to extend his peak to make it. I think if he pitches 3 more years showing minor decline he is a surefire 1st ballot.

yea, I don't think he is in NOW... But I like his chances... I would bet on him over Verlander easily...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Lee Smith not in the HOF?

When was Lee Smith ever really one of the top two closers in baseball? Dude was lucky that his career took off right when the role of the closer was being reduced from a 2-3 inning job to a 1 inning job, hence giving him ample opportunity to accumulate saves.

Look at any 3-4 stretch during Smith's career, and you'd have a hard time putting him as one of the the two best closers in baseball during those stretches.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was Lee Smith ever really one of the top two closers in baseball? Dude was lucky that his career took off right when the role of the closer was being reduced from a 2-3 inning job to a 1 inning job, hence giving him ample opportunity to accumulate saves.

Look at any 3-4 stretch during Smith's career, and you'd have a hard time putting him as one of the the two best closers in baseball during those stretches.

He's 3rd all time and managed to accrue all but 9 of his saves in the first 14 years of his career. Actually he only had 1 save in his first two seasons combined which means that he had 468 in 12 years. That's pretty good.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, I thought he deserved it in 2016... But he still only has one CY... One CY doesn't jump him...

Again, do you realize he only has 2 seasons of below 3.00 ERA(3 if including this season) and only one other season Below 3.3?? His Whip is great, but not special... so basically the only stat that gets him into the HOF is his IP and SO, which is why his WAR is so good... Hell, his ERA+ is only 126, which is not SPECIAL...

I have him on the border, but he is having another GREAT season, so maybe before he retires he will do enough...

I have Kluber ahead of him... entirely because of dominant years being better for Kluber... even if his overall numbers are not close...

of the Active pitchers I would rank the most likely to make the HOF as of today...

1. Kershaw(definitely in)
2. Scherzer(definitely in)
3. Kluber(One more CY or 2 more ELITE seasons and will be a definite)
4. Kimbrel-(a closer so he needs to continue- but he is on his way to being a top 5 RP of all time)
5. Verlander(not a definite yet, right now I would say NO, but he is close, and he is still pitching)
6. Sale( no CY wins, but has been a top 5 pitcher pretty consistently, he needs to continue his dominance)
7. Greinke( has some elite years, but on the back end and will likely NOT make it)

Not gonna argue the ERA thing. Verlander is going to eclipse 200 wins this season, so I'd say he will be north of 225 in a couple of years. Very strong win percentage, too (.629). And he will likely eclipse 3000 career strikeouts. And I think there is something to be said for longevity -- pitching at a high level for many years. In 13 full seasons, he's only had two clunkers -- 2008 and 2014.

Now, if I'm starting a team based on the last few years, I'd take Kluber over Verlander. But over the length of their careers? Sheesh, Kluber is 32, and only has 86 wins. He's going to have to pitch at a high level for 5 more years to even reach Sandy Koufax's 165 wins. Not saying he can't, but it's certainly a "wait and see" with him.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna argue the ERA thing. Verlander is going to eclipse 200 wins this season, so I'd say he will be north of 225 in a couple of years. Very strong win percentage, too (.629). And he will likely eclipse 3000 career strikeouts. And I think there is something to be said for longevity -- pitching at a high level for many years. In 13 full seasons, he's only had two clunkers -- 2008 and 2014.

Now, if I'm starting a team based on the last few years, I'd take Kluber over Verlander. But over the length of their careers? Sheesh, Kluber is 32, and only has 86 wins. He's going to have to pitch at a high level for 5 more years to even reach Sandy Koufax's 165 wins. Not saying he can't, but it's certainly a "wait and see" with him.

Milestones are only milestones when the milestone is reached... otherwise you gotta base it on the players stats... and I just don't think they are as good as people give him credit for... His best attribute is the workhorse he has been his whole career... 200+ innings 10 times and on pace for it again this season... that for a modern day pitcher is excellent... But his ERA is below HOF standard, His WHIP is HOF average, He made the all star team less than half the years he played, only has 1 CY...

The worst thing is, he is known for being a big game pitcher, but has pitched poorly in the biggest games of his life...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 3rd all time and managed to accrue all but 9 of his saves in the first 14 years of his career. Actually he only had 1 save in his first two seasons combined which means that he had 468 in 12 years. That's pretty good.

Again, his prime coincided with the diminishing of the closer role (not a lot of guys had that luxury). If his prime started 5-10 years earlier, he'd have a lot less saves. He's got compiled saves but no real dominance.

And regarding where he ranked during his days:

-Early to mid '80s, Quisenberry, Gossage were easily better, and arguably Orosco
-Mid '80s to early '90s, Franco, Eck, Henke were all better
-Early to mid '90s, Wetteland, Jeff Montgomery, Rick Augilera were better

So you could make the case that he was never really one of the top 3 closers in baseball for any stretch of his career. For a position like closer, I don't see how that makes him HOF worthy.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-inventing himself from power pitcher to finesse, change speeds type of pitcher one of his more impressive feats. Guy added years to his career

And basically put the 2009 Yankees on his back and drug them to a world championship, every start that post-season on 3 days rest.

He's in my HOF, dammit. :)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milestones are only milestones when the milestone is reached... otherwise you gotta base it on the players stats... and I just don't think they are as good as people give him credit for... His best attribute is the workhorse he has been his whole career... 200+ innings 10 times and on pace for it again this season... that for a modern day pitcher is excellent... But his ERA is below HOF standard, His WHIP is HOF average, He made the all star team less than half the years he played, only has 1 CY...

The worst thing is, he is known for being a big game pitcher, but has pitched poorly in the biggest games of his life...
You're really fighting a losing battle on this one milk.

Being the workhorse of his generation with the numbers he has, pretty much seals things. I guess he could get hurt his next time out, never pitch again and it might be close. 200 Wins is prolly that last necissary mark.

That one seems like it will come quick with the team he's on.