• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Active Hall of Famers

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulo's career stats are on par with Nomar's.

Tulo: .295/.365/.503, 120 OPS+, 216 HR, 745 RBI (100 per 162), 43.4 WAR in 5071 PA (6.1 per 162)
Nomar: .313/.361/.521, 124 OPS+, 229 HR, 936 RBI (106 per 162), 44.3 WAR in 6116 PA (5.2 per 162)

While it's true that Tulo played most of his games at Coors, his OPS+ is only a few points below Nomar's. Tulo's road stats would still make him a good offensive SS, especially with his glove. Tulo was a much better defender than Nomar was IMO.

Nomar does have a slightly better prime, but almost all of Nomar's career value came from his six all-star seasons. Tulo's still playing pretty well.

The problem for Tulo is that in some of his biggest years, he missed a decent chunk of time (especially in 2014 when he played only 91 games, but still managed 5+ WAR).
Also, it's not like Nomar didn't play in Fenway in the '90s

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ortiz was on the juice. People seem to forget just because it's Big Papi. Peace.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it's not like Nomar didn't play in Fenway in the '90s

Yup.

As for Mattingly, he had about four or five really good offensive seasons and a bunch of solid/averageish years. At 1B. Pretty overrated. 1985 AL MVP went to the wrong Yankee, it should have gone to Rickey. Brett and Boggs had strong cases as well. Yeah, Mattingly had a bunch of RBIs... how many of those came from Rickey?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

As for Mattingly, he had about four or five really good offensive seasons and a bunch of solid/averageish years. At 1B. Pretty overrated. 1985 AL MVP went to the wrong Yankee, it should have gone to Rickey. Brett and Boggs had strong cases as well. Yeah, Mattingly had a bunch of RBIs... how many of those came from Rickey?
By my count, out of 145 RBI for Mattingly, 66 of them came from either driving in Rickey or driving in someone Ricky moved into scoring position. Also runners that Rickey helped move to third and scored on a sacrifice by Mattingly

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarver thinks McCann is a borderline HOFer.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much agree, but what does hurt him is his position... If he played anywhere but first base I think he would have a much better chance... But with players like Jim Thome, Jason Giambi, Don Mattingly, Boog Powell, and others not making it, it may be hard for him too...

He is 19th all time for first baseman in WAR7

Thome ? He's a lock.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ortiz is a very unique case. Career .286/.380/.551 hitter with a 141 OPS+. He's hit .290/.386/.570 (148 OPS+) with the Sox. Hard to ignore his very pedestrian stats with the Twins. Not to mention his career OPS+ is below the likes of Thome, Edgar, Bagwell and Berkman. Going by BB-Ref, he has 54.9 WAR. Fangraphs has him at 50.0. Ortiz does have a strong narrative that will get him votes, playing a pivotal role in the Sox breaking an 86 year drought and winning three titles in a decade. He's hit .295/.409/.553 with 40 extra base hits (17 HR) in 357 postseason plate appearances. That's more than half a season's worth of PA.

I don't think I'd put him in my personal HOF and I consider Edgar the better hitter, especially factoring in his performance at 3B before the hammy injury. But I don't think he's a terribly weak selection either. I'd much rather have him in there than, say, Jim Rice.

I just can't wait to see people say a DH shouldn't be in the HOF, but then they'll consider a relief pitcher "HOF-worthy".

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't wait to see people say a DH shouldn't be in the HOF, but then they'll consider a relief pitcher "HOF-worthy".

yes and no... The big difference is that a DH is only a hitter, so he doesn't have a different role than any of the other 8 offensive bats...

A reliever has a certain role that ONLY he is specialized for...

Yes, that sounds like it really is no big deal, but it really is... A DH is to be compared to all other offensive hitters, so there is an actual standard to make it to the HOF... a RP the standards were created anew...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A DH usually gets 500+ PA. Most relievers face, what, ~270 batters?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pedroia can stay productive for another 5-6 years, he could have a decent case. Either WAR you look at, he's got 46+ to his credit (HOF borderline is about 60). He's a career .302/.367/.446 (117 wRC+) hitter at a position that isn't known for offense historically. Not to mention Pedroia rates as an excellent 2B, whether you go by Gold Gloves (4x), defensive metrics (UZR/DRS), or the eye test. Pedroia's having an excellent year right now (5+ WAR and hitting .332/.392/.466), but he is 33 years old at a position that isn't known for guys aging well.

HOF or not though, he could go down as the best Sox 2B of all-time.
Just looked at Pedroia and Kinslers career stats.

I'm not of the mind that either are HOFers, but what kind of shot does Kinsler have compared to DPs? Traditional counting marks wise IKs has significantly more in a number of areas. Homers and SBs, runs too. They're both due to start cooling off in their careers, but Kinsler could hit quite a few milestones with just two or so good seasons and a couple partial twighlight years. Rate wise Id guess he takes a decent hit, and prolly only more so in the next couple seasons, just wondering.

This is a very strong group of 30 something active 2nd basemen.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing with Ortiz (and this goes with his postseason performance) is there's a lot of iconic moments around him. Games 4, 5 and 7 of the 2004 ALCS. Game 2, 2013 ALCS. His double off Foulke in the 2003 ALDS. His 3-run shot in Game 5 of the 2008 ALCS (J.D. Drew also had a 2-run shot and the walkoff) to help the Sox rally from a 7-0 deficit facing elimination. Just a few.

Even in the regular season, he's had plenty of memorable games. His walkoff HR against the Tribe in 2006 (I think it was off Fausto). His near cycle and walkoff against the Astros earlier this year. He once hit a walkoff bases clearing double against the Tigers in 2010. The day before that, he hit a grand slam in the 9th inning with the Sox down 6-1 to make it a one-run game (they ultimately lost).

David Ortiz's most memorable career moments

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just realized there were two different threads lol. I accidentally bumped the older one because I searched for the thread from the main page.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are a lot of names being thrown out here that are merely "homer" picks. Almost all of the guys mentioned are not HOF worthy. As of right now my thoughts are this...
Locks and probably first ballot:
Pujols, Ichiro, Cabrera. No-brainers here.
After that, probably should get in but the voters mat not see it.
Carlos Beltran, to me a no-brainer but there seems to be doubt for whatever reason. I think he's one of the best switch hitters ever. Him and Mantle could be 1A & 1. Better than Eddie Murray, imo and Murray is in the hall.
Adrian Beltre, as has been noted, one of the best defensive 3b's to ever play ( I think Brooks Robinson is still the best defensively) and a solid career but seemingly nothing spectacular jumps out for him. Those years in the Seattle purgatory doesn't help even though he played well on terrible teams. Funny how it doesn't seem to hurt Ichiro as much as Beltre in that instance, isn't it. He was great in Boston and has been great for the Rangers. His longevity playing at a high level should get him some recognition.
Chase Utley, I don't know fellas. Yeah, he had 5-6 amazing years in Philly where he was the best 2b in the game, imo but besides that, not enough. Too many injuries and not enough longevity although probably borderline.
The big elephant in the room is Ortiz. It seems everyone here agrees about the full-time DH being a detriment and the PED thing looms large. The 500+ HR's and 600+ doubles and career .931 OPS would be a lock for any position player. As well as the many "signature" moments that were mentioned. I think for some of us, it's a tough call but we have to remember who does the actual voting. It's the writers and that plays a huge factor. As much as they claim to be unbiased, they are not. The media loves Big Papi and he played in Beantown. I wish Edgar Martinez could be in as a DH but it is looking less and less likely. Playing in Seattle under the shadow of Griffey's superstardom may have hurt him, too, I don't know. But Ortiz is a whole different animal. I think he will get in although it will take a few tries just because the voters love the guy and there is no denying the legacy in Boston. 3 WS rings after the decades of failure loom large.
All the young guys mentioned are on a great track but I will just wait and see. I've seen a lot of seemingly great players go up in flames over the years. Just too early for some and for others a little older, still some work to get there.
As for pitchers, 5 years ago, I would have King Felix and JV as locks but now, who knows.
I think JV got back in form this year with the K's but he is over 33. Will he be able to reach the milestone numbers that seem to put guys over the top? Maybe. I think if he gets to 3000, he has a shot still.
I think Felix has a legitimate shot at 3000 K's and maybe more. He is only 30 and 4-5 good years could put him right back in the running for the HOF. The guy has a ton of mileage on him at an early age though.
If Kershaw can keep going, sure, he has the stuff of legend but look at the 2 names above for a minute and think of a few other guys who started their career this great. The pitchers need longevity and cumulative stats to get in. A long way to go for Kershaw.
As for relievers, there isn't one out there that even deserves a sniff at the HOF. At least, not yet.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no on Ortiz, the 2nd best DH in history can't get in until the best DH of all time gets his name called.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he is far from it, but Corey Kluber has had a hell of a start to a career.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he is far from it, but Corey Kluber has had a hell of a start to a career.

His career started way too late which will obviously hurt him big time...didn't have his first MLB win until age 26, and he's entering next season (where he'll be 31) with under 60 wins, 1000 innings and 1000 strikeouts.

Last edited: