• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Active hall of famers

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were discussing this on the Giants board, thought I'd take it to the general:

Which players that will be active in 2016 (so no Jeter....) will make the Hall of Fame in your opinion? Including young ones that you think will make it (if their careers last the normal amount of time).

In my opinion, the only locks if their careers ended tomorrow are Pujols and probably Cabrera, maybe Beltre or Molina. Long shot Ortiz, maybe even Verlander. Some of these will get in with 1-2 more productive years.

There's a group of players that pass the eye test of HOFers but if their career ended tomorrow it would mean they fall short because not enough playing time to justify it: Posey, Trout, Harper, Kershaw, Goldschmidt

Then there's A-Rod. If Bonds and Clemens eventually make it I have to think he does too.

Any I've overlooked?
A-Rod, Bonds and Clemens should be barred from the HOF.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe someone would even mention Papelbon. I have a better shot than he does and so do you. Closers , regardless of stats , are gonna face an uphill battle to get serious consideration. They should , in fact they should get no consideration at all.

You may think that they should and I would agree with that, but I don't know that I agree that they will.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 19 1B 4 have hit 500 hrs 3B 2 of 11
all i meant was they started their careers at the same age though Boggs was good right away

Both harper and trout look like the real deal but alot of things can derail a career just ask griffey jr:suds:
Yeah, he only got 99.3 % of the HOF vote today. Had his career not been derailed he likely would have gotten the other .7%...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Harper but Trout could be one of the greatest of all time. I've seen young guys have great seasons at the beginning of their career, but usually they are kind of up and down like Harper. This guy's first four years have been ridiculous. I know WAR is not the end all-be all, but there are a lot of guys in the hall of fame with a career WAR of around 70. Trout has a WAR of over 37 and he's like 23 or 24. All 4 of his full seasons he's been 1 or 2 in MVP voting.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Holliday had a solid enough career that if he avoided injuries and DH'ed a few years he would be as good a candidate as Tony Perez. (although I don't believe Perez should have gotten in). Chase Utley had a 5 year prime that was easily Hall of Fame worthy but he got a late start in the majors and has had chronic injuries that will keep him from hitting some benchmark numbers that hall of fame voters look for.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Holliday had a solid enough career that if he avoided injuries and DH'ed a few years he would be as good a candidate as Tony Perez. (although I don't believe Perez should have gotten in). Chase Utley had a 5 year prime that was easily Hall of Fame worthy but he got a late start in the majors and has had chronic injuries that will keep him from hitting some benchmark numbers that hall of fame voters look for.
Yeah. Probably both destined for the Hall-Of-Very-Good. Utley should absolutely be in the Phillies' own Hall of Fame no question about it. Utley is an interesting case. Borderline candidate in my opinion.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Probably both destined for the Hall-Of-Very-Good. Utley should absolutely be in the Phillies' own Hall of Fame no question about it. Utley is an interesting case. Borderline candidate in my opinion.

I'm sure he's a first ballot on the Phillies Wall of Fame, of course that's starting to get diluted since they add new players every year and they went through all the Baseball Hall of Famers a while ago so now I think they are down to the Von Hayes' and Pat Burrell's of the world (not that there is anything wrong with those guys but Utley is better)

Speaking of former Phillies in the hall of very good, Bobby Abreu had a nice career too but I think he is finally retired and came up a little short of the hall of fame.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, did anyone mention Andrew McCutchen?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me guys like McCutcheon, AGonz, Utley are Hall of Very Good but who knows, still time for McCutcheon to change that.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me guys like McCutcheon, AGonz, Utley are Hall of Very Good but who knows, still time for McCutcheon to change that.

I think McCutchen's been great enough so far where it's not like he needs to elevate his game to another level, but just keep playing the way he's been playing (just turned 29 and has 38 career WAR and 4 straight seasons finishing top 5 in MVP voting).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think McCutchen's been great enough so far where it's not like he needs to elevate his game to another level, but just keep playing the way he's been playing (just turned 29 and has 38 career WAR and 4 straight seasons finishing top 5 in MVP voting).

I have to agree, I didn't really check the numbers when I posted this, you are right. If he gets to 70-75 WAR and it looks plenty doable he should go in.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree, I didn't really check the numbers when I posted this, you are right. If he gets to 70-75 WAR and it looks plenty doable he should go in.

Agreed...obviously it's pure speculation/guessing, but if he averages 6 WAR from ages 29-31, then 4 WAR from age 32-33 and 2 WAR from age 34-36, he'd be at 70 WAR (which is very doable as you mentioned).