• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Active hall of famers

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were discussing this on the Giants board, thought I'd take it to the general:

Which players that will be active in 2016 (so no Jeter....) will make the Hall of Fame in your opinion? Including young ones that you think will make it (if their careers last the normal amount of time).

In my opinion, the only locks if their careers ended tomorrow are Pujols and probably Cabrera, maybe Beltre or Molina. Long shot Ortiz, maybe even Verlander. Some of these will get in with 1-2 more productive years.

There's a group of players that pass the eye test of HOFers but if their career ended tomorrow it would mean they fall short because not enough playing time to justify it: Posey, Trout, Harper, Kershaw, Goldschmidt

Then there's A-Rod. If Bonds and Clemens eventually make it I have to think he does too.

Any I've overlooked?

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe Pablebon, Kimbrel, Grienke, King, Ichiro,

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hernandez belongs in the first group (currently on the border - Beltre/Molina). Ortiz does not belong in. He only played half the game. Verlander did not last near long enough.

Kershaw and Posey are about as close to being in as you can be without actually being in. Greinke probably belongs on this list as well. How about Mauer?

In the last group (players who have actually shown dominance, but still need more), I would put McCutchin and Bumgarner. Bum may be near the top of this list because of his October antics. Would Stanton be in this level as well?

How about AGone, Tulo, Utley, Rollins...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit..

Totally forgot Ichiro was still active.

Paps has no shot and it is WAY early for Kimbrel. Closers need LONG careers to even become borderline.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ichiro, good call, maybe. Relievers have to be transcendent. Mariano Rivera yes, those guys I don't think so.

King might but has to produce like this a lot more, he's not a lock to me like Kershaw. Greinke same, not a lock, but possible.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hernandez belongs in the first group (currently on the border - Beltre/Molina). Ortiz does not belong in. He only played half the game. Verlander did not last near long enough.

Kershaw and Posey are about as close to being in as you can be without actually being in. Greinke probably belongs on this list as well. How about Mauer?

In the last group (players who have actually shown dominance, but still need more), I would put McCutchin and Bumgarner. Bum may be near the top of this list because of his October antics. Would Stanton be in this level as well?

AGonz MAYBE if he has 2-3 more solid years. The other 3 no IMO

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AGonz MAYBE if he has 2-3 more solid years. The other 3 no IMO

Gonzalez needs waaaay more than 2-3 more solid years. You're talking about a guy who only has three 4+ WAR seasons (and one of those was only 4.3) and zero 7+ WAR seasons while playing the position with probably the highest HOF standards.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm biased but I think that if Manny Machado keeps improving like he has, he'll have a good chance at making the HoF.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mauer has a better shot than most people realize I think. If he bounces back and has even a couple of useful seasons at 1b (not MVP seasons but just decently productive ones) he'll probably have a decent case based on his exceptional peak at catcher. Not many catchers had 20 year careers anyway so his slightly diminished longevity hurts him much less.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzalez needs waaaay more than 2-3 more solid years. You're talking about a guy who only has three 4+ WAR seasons (and one of those was only 4.3) and zero 7+ WAR seasons while playing the position with probably the highest HOF standards.

Fair enough, agreed.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not who SHOULD, it's who will....so your take on Ortiz may not matter, now that Thomas is in....

Stanton: forgot him, yes, with health. Bumgarner: needs a long career of this which is doable he's so young. If he keeps doing this in the postseason every other year then a lock

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The little engine that could Pedroia:suds:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm biased but I think that if Manny Machado keeps improving like he has, he'll have a good chance at making the HoF.
Machado looks great, but he does not belong in this discussion YET. He is too young and has not added anything amazing to his resume yet. Trout and Harper have MVPs and are both considered "Best Player" talent. Match ado certainly has that potential, but he is not there yet.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pujols- absolute lock...

Arod- Will be a lock if and when they allow steroid players in

Ichiro- only a lock because he is Japanese

Beltre- Arguably the best defensive 3B of all time, has enough good offensive seasons to be a lock.

Miggy- not quite a lock yet IMO, but very close... Should make the HOF though

those are the only 4 offensive players I think will make the Hof...

Outside chances for Joey Votto, Joe Mauer, Yadier Molina

On pace- Trout, Posey, Harper, McCutchen, Goldshmidt

No chance- David Ortiz- Honestly, I don't get why people think he deserves it... You realize he only has 4 seasons of an OPS over 1000... and one of those 4 seasons he played less than 100 games... And He was never better than 3rd in slugging percentage... For someone who ONLY played offense, he should have better offensive numbers...

as for pitchers

Kershaw is a lock
Felix- will probably get in
Joe Nathan and Papelbon are very close wont be surprised if either make it

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pujols- absolute lock...

Arod- Will be a lock if and when they allow steroid players in

Ichiro- only a lock because he is Japanese

Beltre- Arguably the best defensive 3B of all time, has enough good offensive seasons to be a lock.

Miggy- not quite a lock yet IMO, but very close... Should make the HOF though

those are the only 4 offensive players I think will make the Hof...

Outside chances for Joey Votto, Joe Mauer, Yadier Molina

On pace- Trout, Posey, Harper, McCutchen, Goldshmidt

No chance- David Ortiz- Honestly, I don't get why people think he deserves it... You realize he only has 4 seasons of an OPS over 1000... and one of those 4 seasons he played less than 100 games... And He was never better than 3rd in slugging percentage... For someone who ONLY played offense, he should have better offensive numbers...

as for pitchers

Kershaw is a lock
Felix- will probably get in
Joe Nathan and Papelbon are very close wont be surprised if either make it
Don't think Molina or Mauer are in sniffing distance of a hall call. If Votto has a few more seasons of anything resembling the quality of his 2015 he'd be in.

Kershaw's also a lock for me, too.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Votto's OBP is just impressive... He is 14th of all time and best since Bonds and 2nd best in the past 70 years of baseball...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think Molina or Mauer are in sniffing distance of a hall call. If Votto has a few more seasons of anything resembling the quality of his 2015 he'd be in.

Kershaw's also a lock for me, too.

Molina is closer than Mauer... Molina is one of the best defensive catchers of all time... Defense matters at the catcher position... And he was a good enough bat...