1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

About time

Discussion in 'Golf Forum' started by fknhippie, Dec 11, 2017.

1. R.J. MacReady

R.J. MacReady Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,000

I don't think you understand the meaning of your own words.
    "Selective prosecution" implies 2 parties are guilty of the same infraction but only one is punished.

It is a complete assumption on your part that no name players are breaking the rules simply because we can't see
    them. If you are winning on the PGA tour ..should you not be cleaning up our act? being a top players means more scrutiny. It comes with the territory.

This is the absolute fact here.

The Golf governing body, the sports media, and the players have all colluded to get behind this change.
    Not because it unfairly punished players but because it was bad for ratings to show high profile players/players in the lead cheating.

Ask yourself, If the fans were catching players cheating that the PGA tour missed ..what is the fix the PGA tour put in now that fans can't call in? Nothing.

They do not want to put in a special rules official to watch the broadcast because that would do exactly what they are trying to avoid ....catching high profile players cheating that hurts ratings.

2. TheStarOne

TheStarOne Militem Octoginta

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Rules are for ALL golfers, not just players on the leader board.
    Golf is a sport about INTEGRITY for all players .......not just the ones who are covered on Sunday afternoon.
    Either we trust players to police themselves, or we need 36 rules officials (one for each group) around the course. (or more).

3. NEhomer

NEhomer Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 391

You're just being stubborn and repeating yourself Star. Nobody is failing to understand your point.

4. ATL96Steeler

ATL96Steeler Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I like it. Should have been done a decade a go.

Put a camera on every group...appoint a group of TV ruling monitors...do whatever they need to do to ensure a fair playing field for all players but take spectators out of the ruling business.

5. NEhomer

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 391

Why?

Why not get the rulings correct regardless? What is it about a fan calling in an infraction that irks people? I honestly don't get it.

6. ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Fans do gamble on golf, fans can have agendas.

7. NEhomer

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 391

...but they do nothing but bring about investigation. How may a viewer erroneously skew the outcome of a match or tourney?

8. ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Using the Lexi situation...hypothetical of course...we're focusing on the call that are made. Let's say the fan that called in the fraction had money on Lexi to win the tourney and therefore decided NOT to call it in.

9. NEhomer

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 391

If that infraction which was not going to be called by Lexi or an on course official anyway isn't enforced, what's the loss? What's the difference?

10. ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

The loss? Lexi most likely would have won the tourney with an infraction in her back pocket.

So the difference imo...if a paid rules official (that should not have any bias) watching the same tape calls the infraction...as a result there was a different player hoisting the trophy.

11. NEhomer

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 391

I'm honestly not trying to be contrarian.

...are they watching the same tape? Then bad on the official, not the TV viewer. The world is an imperfect place but viewers calling in while the competition is still open, makes officiating more accurate. I'm just not getting what's bad about that.

Again, I applaud players not being DQed for an infraction they weren't aware of but all known penalties should apply.

12. ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I'm with you in principle...we want the call to be correct.

But how we get there, we're probably never going to agree on this one NE.

At one time, I think it was appropriate, but with the technology they have today, I just don't think outside interests should factor in the results of a professional golf tourney or any televised golf tourney actually..