• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron Boone hired as Yanks manager - good or bad move?

What do you think of the Yanks hiring Boone as manager?

• Great move

• Pretty good hire

• Bad choice

• Not sure either way

Results are only viewable after voting.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the Ausmus hiring ... wrong guy for the wrong team ... he may be good somewhere else. That is why I always take a wait and see when evaluating managers and coaches.
Nobody wins without talent.

He can be blamed for pitching to Nellie Cruz in the playoffs but that pitching staff sucked too much balls since then. And it's not gonna be better for awhile.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody wins without talent.

He can be blamed for pitching to Nellie Cruz in the playoffs but that pitching staff sucked too much balls since then. And it's not gonna be better for awhile.

For the last month of 2017, I'll agree with you ... but he had some amazing talent over the years ...

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the bullpen he didn't.

Straight up Fucking garbage.

Only going to get worse.

Sometimes, it the use of the bullpen which I always thought was Ausmus' weakness ... I rather not get into it with a Yankee's manager thread. I would consider hiring Ausmus if I were looking for a manager for a young team (not the Tigers). I think he made a lot of mistakes here that he will not make in the future.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible hire, no experience whatsoever. That team was on the verge of a WS experience last season. They're the Yankees, could have any manager they wanted and Aaron Boone is the best they can do? Very ? hire IMO.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible hire, no experience whatsoever. That team was on the verge of a WS experience last season. They're the Yankees, could have any manager they wanted and Aaron Boone is the best they can do? Very ? hire IMO.

Who were the other alternatives that would have made you say "Great Hire"?

Truth is none of us know...In 5 years, we could all be calling Boone one of the best managers in the game, or we could look back at the hire and mock it

Its all a complete guess, once they cut ties with Girardi, any hire was going to be a risky one

The manager that just won the World Series, didnt have anyone excited when they announced his hiring

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who were the other alternatives that would have made you say "Great Hire"?

Truth is none of us know...In 5 years, we could all be calling Boone one of the best managers in the game, or we could look back at the hire and mock it

Its all a complete guess, once they cut ties with Girardi, any hire was going to be a risky one

The manager that just won the World Series, didnt have anyone excited when they announced his hiring

No, but Hinch already had experience as a manager. I can't speak much for what he did in Arizona (those teams were pretty bad), but I don't think it helped that the D-Backs lost Brandon Webb to a career ending injury in 2009. They probably don't make the playoffs if he's healthy, but they would have been a lot better. He was a great pitcher.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, the Astros hired a color commentator (Larry Dierker) and those teams seemed to do just fine.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but Hinch already had experience as a manager. I can't speak much for what he did in Arizona (those teams were pretty bad), but I don't think it helped that the D-Backs lost Brandon Webb to a career ending injury in 2009. They probably don't make the playoffs if he's healthy, but they would have been a lot better. He was a great pitcher.

I hear ya, but Ausmus didnt excite me....I like the young, energetic unknown with Boone......And I trust Cashman......

And as I said from the beginning of the process, I wasnt gonna get too excited or dissapointed with any hire, this game has become so much about analytics and spreadsheets, full autonomy no longer belongs to a manager

His and any managers biggest test will be how he handles the Bullpen, thats the part where he could pass or fail IMO

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to justify imo. No expierience at any level, coming into a team that just missed the WS. Seems like baseballs version of the Vols search.

Glad he won't be doing commentary anymore.
St Louis Cardinals 2.0...hows that working out for em?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I'm so surprised. If a team like the Phillies or something would've hired him it wouldn't have shocked me, but such a high-profile Yankees team? That is really surprising. I do think he is a smart baseball mind though, so I think it could be good. I guess we'll see.

I don't want to knock his baseball knowledge at all. He's a Boone. But the lack of experience and State of the franchise are a weird combo.

These two quotes basically sum it up for me as well.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a Bronx POV, I'd say this is a great hire if he wins.

I think there are other teams that are really also trying to win, so there's that component.