• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A visit to the house of horrors.......Oakland 09/22-09/24

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the math is not looking good for the Rangers. Even if they run the table the rest of the way (8-0), the Twins would still have to lose 5 of 7 for the Rangers to overtake them.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before we criticize JD or any GM let's take a minute to see what does or does not effect their success.
The bullpen that the Ranger's put in place at the start of 2017 was thought to be a strong point. No one saw what was to come. Remember Dyson and his failures? Injuries to Kela and Bush and the Diekman illness. Here is a prime example how unfair judgement can easily be passed on a GM.

A contract to Odor looks very bad now but everyone wanted to see Odor continuing hitting HR's and had no idea he would flop. Hind sight bit a lot of us. And how about Nap? In the off season, I remember how we were wanting to sign him. Really? Think about it. Do we really think a GM is to blame when players can't/don't perform? Just a thought I feel is fair before passing judgement.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before we criticize JD or any GM let's take a minute to see what does or does not effect their success.
The bullpen that the Ranger's put in place at the start of 2017 was thought to be a strong point. No one saw what was to come. Remember Dyson and his failures? Injuries to Kela and Bush and the Diekman illness. Here is a prime example how unfair judgement can easily be passed on a GM.

A contract to Odor looks very bad now but everyone wanted to see Odor continuing hitting HR's and had no idea he would flop. Hind sight bit a lot of us. And how about Nap? In the off season, I remember how we were wanting to sign him. Really? Think about it. Do we really think a GM is to blame when players can't/don't perform? Just a thought I feel is fair before passing judgement.

I agree with ya on the BP situation. If I had to pick an area which I had the most confidence in going into the season, that was it.

Now, as far a Odor is concerned, he's still hitting HRs, and I believe the team had him under control for at least 2 more seasons. So I've maintained from the get go there was no reason to give him such an offer. And frankly, I'm not sure he's regressed in any aspect of his game. He sucked defensively last year, showed poor decision making, and his plate discipline was non-existent. All on display again this season. To me, waiting and getting another years worth of intel on him would have been the route to have taken.

This is in hindsight, at least to an extent. But for my money, I'd taken Moreland on the one year deal he ended up getting, and would've passed on Napoli all together.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ya on the BP situation. If I had to pick an area which I had the most confidence in going into the season, that was it.

And the failures of the bullpen - NOT how it was put together, but how it executed - can be directly pointed to as a reason - perhaps THE reason - the Rangers are not going to the postseason this year.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now, as far a Odor is concerned, he's still hitting HRs, and I believe the team had him under control for at least 2 more seasons. So I've maintained from the get go there was no reason to give him such an offer. And frankly, I'm not sure he's regressed in any aspect of his game. He sucked defensively last year, showed poor decision making, and his plate discipline was non-existent. All on display again this season. To me, waiting and getting another years worth of intel on him would have been the route to have taken.

This is in hindsight, at least to an extent. But for my money, I'd taken Moreland on the one year deal he ended up getting, and would've passed on Napoli all together.
I'm not a fan of Odor. I was trying to look through the eyes of a GM. Lock him up. He's the next super star and he ain't getting away.lol

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of Odor. I was trying to look through the eyes of a GM. Lock him up. He's the next super star and he ain't getting away.lol
I think that players like Sosa Cruz and Chris Davis are always in the back of a GM's mind and Odor wasn't golng to be another.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that players like Sosa Cruz and Chris Davis are always in the back of a GM's mind and Odor wasn't golng to be another.

There's a lot of truth in this........Kind of reminds me of the hitter trying to hit a grand slam with no one on base.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it appears we won't be making it to the post season, at least we've been entertained much longer than I would have dreamed or thought for most of this season.

Gotta tip the old hat to "whomever" for us hanging tough for this long.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of truth in this........Kind of reminds me of the hitter trying to hit a grand slam with no one on base.
Some wanted to raise their hands and quit.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some wanted to raise their hands and quit.

I never wanted to quit. But I'll admit to throwing in the towel, b/c I just didn't think we had enough horses to get us to the finish line in any kind of good fashion.

Going back to the Darvish trade. I thought this was somewhat of admission of the FO feeling the same. Then we had another rash of injuries, including the most important one, to Beltre.

So I honestly gotta say "overall" surprisingly good job from what I deemed as an undermanned squad.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers bent over again today.

They're 33 games under .500. They've sucked the entire season. Did you think for some strange reason they'd start playing decent ball now, in order to help us out?

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're 33 games under .500. They've sucked the entire season. Did you think for some strange reason they'd start playing decent ball now, in order to help us out?

not at all. but I wouldn't say I expected them to be as pathetic as they've been, either.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not at all. but I wouldn't say I expected them to be as pathetic as they've been, either.

Eph...Buddy.....They're 4 and 20 in Sept. I think that's referred too as, "rolling over and sticking your dick in the air." ha ha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I didn't realize they had been that bad.

Honestly I hadn't either. But due to the circumstances, I felt it "imperative" to check the record before preceding with the conversation. :nod:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good learning experience there for Mr Gallo and foul-fly balls with a high sky. Even really experienced and good players won't make that one.

I'm more than pleased with his D at 1st.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I've never seen a more "strange" out than the one with Choo to end the 1st.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good learning experience there for Mr Gallo and foul-fly balls with a high sky. Even really experienced and good players won't make that one.

I'm more than pleased with his D at 1st.
His BA needs to improve. Gallo-207 Odor-206. Unacceptable if we want to contend later.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of stats that blow my mind... Perez leads the team in wins this year.