• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Trade For George Would Be A Mistake

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have inquired about George's availability, and league sources have said it is likely he is traded today.

However, he will only sign an extension with the Pacers or Lakers, so if a trade does happen with George, it will likely be with the Lakers.

Problem is, it would cost the Lakers too much to get George. It would require 2 of their 3 young players ( Randle, Ingram and Russell ) plus the 1st rounder they got from Houston.

Then, they would have to shell out BIG $ to extend him, killing their cap space.

To me, as good as George is, the price to get him would be a HUGE step backward, not forward.

They can't give up essentially 3 young players and their cap space to get 1 guy, especially when it would leave the team thin and no cap space or draft picks to fill the void.

Just say no Magic

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have inquired about George's availability, and league sources have said it is likely he is traded today.

However, he will only sign an extension with the Pacers or Lakers, so if a trade does happen with George, it will likely be with the Lakers.

Problem is, it would cost the Lakers too much to get George. It would require 2 of their 3 young players ( Randle, Ingram and Russell ) plus the 1st rounder they got from Houston.

Then, they would have to shell out BIG $ to extend him, killing their cap space.

To me, as good as George is, the price to get him would be a HUGE step backward, not forward.

They can't give up essentially 3 young players and their cap space to get 1 guy, especially when it would leave the team thin and no cap space or draft picks to fill the void.

Just say no Magic
What if it would cost Russell and our first round pick
this season. Would you take George if that were the case?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No ALR. Magic is going to wait until 2018 and PG will probably sign as a FA.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the late trade of Huertas to Houston again for Tyler Ennis that Magic slipped in at the last minute. Houston will waive Huertas and he'll probably be back in a Lakers uniform sooner rather than later. Ennis is a third year guard who has the stats of some of our players. A very upside trade for us.

We also keep Swaggy P because nobody wants him or his contract. I think this might be the final time Swaggy is mentioned in a trade. He is going to probably go on a tear just to send a message to Magic.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two players the Lakers can add right away because they are available is Larry Sanders and Terrance Jones. Jones just got waived by the Pelicans to make room for that over-exaggerated narcissitic a-hole DMC. If I were Magic, I'd be on the phone signing at least Terrance Jones.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no reason to trade for Paul George ever if they really feel he will sign in 2018. It's the same situation Melo and the Knicks had several years back. Everyone, literally EVERYONE, knew Melo was going to sign with NY when he hit free agency yet at the trade deadline before the summer he hit free agency, they traded for him. NY ended up gutting most of their roster just to get him and you saw how that worked out.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give up what the Pacers were asking for yesterday and I'm glad the Lakers didn't cave.

Assuming the Pacers can't put a contending roster around him, I could see the Lakers trading for him this summer (after the lottery order is sorted out) for a first round pick and 1 of the young guys. By that time, the reality of losing him for nothing will be setting in. I'd be perfectly ok with that scenario.

The other, and perhaps best, option would be to wait until 2018 and get him for nothing but the cap space it takes to sign him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two players the Lakers can add right away because they are available is Larry Sanders and Terrance Jones. Jones just got waived by the Pelicans to make room for that over-exaggerated narcissitic a-hole DMC. If I were Magic, I'd be on the phone signing at least Terrance Jones.

I don't see the Lakers taking the risk of adding anyone that could hurt the tank effort to keep this year's lottery pick. They are talking about buying out Calderon which would open up a roster spot, but I would think it more likely they give an overlooked kid a chance, or maybe a vet that could help next year but is currently injured, like Omri Casspi.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just say no Magic
I agree with you and commend you for your foresight. I also want to add that PG is the first Free agent in a very long time to be rumored to seriously be considering the Lakers. It would also be a short run, a max for PG and the Lakers young Core will demand more money and inevitably someone will have to slide. The Lakers must draft smart. If not for the Deng and dear god TM contracts the Lakers could be in serious business, but its going to be a challenge with those albatrosses.