• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A question.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are about a third the way through the season and I am subjected to the continual bashing of our OC, OL, and OL coach.
So, I was wondering about something. I think Rawls is done as is Lacy. Both well below average RB's. Yet, Carson gave us some hope.
CC had a 4.2 APC and I am thinking that is acceptable. Is it or am I out to lunch on that?
My question is, if CC and his production are in tandem with our goals, what does that say about our OL? Does a productive RB fix the ills of the OL as far as run production is concerned?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are about a third the way through the season and I am subjected to the continual bashing of our OC, OL, and OL coach.
So, I was wondering about something. I think Rawls is done as is Lacy. Both well below average RB's. Yet, Carson gave us some hope.
CC had a 4.2 APC and I am thinking that is acceptable. Is it or am I out to lunch on that?
My question is, if CC and his production are in tandem with our goals, what does that say about our OL? Does a productive RB fix the ills of the OL as far as run production is concerned?

Well it helps, not sure if it fixes the ills though. Just got to develop the OL, would help if they stayed healthy.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Carson play, he was getting yards despite the line, not because of it. Same with Rawls last season. He was getting hit in the backfield and breaking tackles or running through linebackers.

Put Carson behind an average line and his ypc would increase.

Every metric out there tells us this line is flat out bad. Why are we still having to justify being disappointed in them?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Carson play, he was getting yards despite the line, not because of it. Same with Rawls last season. He was getting hit in the backfield and breaking tackles or running through linebackers.

Every metric out there tells us this line is flat out bad. Why are we still having to justify being disappointed in them?

I'm disappointed in their lack of progress but more pissed off at Cable unable to coach these guys up. I'm asking for is a #20 o-line which would do wonders yet the o-line rank can't get past 30. It's truly pathetic.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree and if we go back to 13-15, Marshawn Lynch was the same thing. The O-line problems have been around for a long time. I'm not sure if Cable is the problem, maybe, I don't know if we could improve with someone else. We have been on the bad side, talent wise for a long time and every time it looks like one of them appears to be turning that corner to respectability, he gets hurt and we are back at square one. Fwiw, the Hawks are not alone in this. There is a lot of bad Oline play in the league right now. Colleges just aren't producing good linemen as much anymore, it seems.

As for RB's, what ever happened to multi faceted backs who could pick up pass rushers and help the QB in the passing game. It seems none of these young backs knows how to throw a block anymore or at the very least, slow a guy down a little. Granted, we are seeing a football age with a slew of really good pass rushers. Almost every team has 2 and sometimes a third.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.2 ypc is definitely acceptable. Not only is it > league average, I think it's about as good as you could expect behind the way this line has played the last few years. Lynch is a borderline HOFer, and his career ypc is 4.2. Bettis made it with a measly 3.9!

Carson wasn't ripping off 40 yard runs and didn't register any 100 yard games, but like you say he was bulling ahead for yards that weren't there quite often. It was very evident when I watched the Indy game back on DVR (sometimes hard to see from the stands), and then he was able to close out the game vs SF when everyone in the building knew he was getting the ball.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my point is, is Carson's pro
4.2 ypc is definitely acceptable. Not only is it > league average, I think it's about as good as you could expect behind the way this line has played the last few years. Lynch is a borderline HOFer, and his career ypc is 4.2. Bettis made it with a measly 3.9!

Carson wasn't ripping off 40 yard runs and didn't register any 100 yard games, but like you say he was bulling ahead for yards that weren't there quite often. It was very evident when I watched the Indy game back on DVR (sometimes hard to see from the stands), and then he was able to close out the game vs SF when everyone in the building knew he was getting the ball.
I agree with your post.
With that in mind, if we found a powerful RB shouldn't we be able to run effectively? If that could happen, the OL would essentially be in place to move us forward. It is easier and cheaper to get that RB than it is to build an OL in these days.
It wont happen this year.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson had looked good, but it was over a basically 3 game span. Hopefully he comes back strong but I am not counting on him as a long solution, especially after a bad leg injury.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson had looked good, but it was over a basically 3 game span. Hopefully he comes back strong but I am not counting on him as a long solution, especially after a bad leg injury.
and I am not counting on any of them as our #1.
It might be a good idea to look at RB as an early pick next year if he is there.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my point is, is Carson's pro

I agree with your post.
With that in mind, if we found a powerful RB shouldn't we be able to run effectively? If that could happen, the OL would essentially be in place to move us forward. It is easier and cheaper to get that RB than it is to build an OL in these days.
It wont happen this year.
Regardless of all other factors? If 3 of the 5 linemen get blown up on most of the plays, it's gonna be tough sledding no matter who is carrying the ball.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of all other factors? If 3 of the 5 linemen get blown up on most of the plays, it's gonna be tough sledding no matter who is carrying the ball.

Yup. Might add that the Seahawks would love to improve their OL, but given the cap and draft position it’s just been tough.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know some teams cast offs ( this is sad ) would be upgrades for us and CHEAP!

There is a rumor though that the Hawks have looked into getting Duane Brown? for Graham?

I would do it even though we lost a Olineman for Graham lol still would suck to lose Jimmy to help or Oline but which guy would help the team more? No clue but i am leaning towards Oline help because it's so bad Graham can't go out to catch passes if he is FORCED to block. ( and he isn't good at blocking )

Perfect world would be Graham and a middle of the Pack oline... perfect world.

Last edited: