• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A question not football related?

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys I value all of your opinions so greatly that I have a personal question I need some advice on from my like minded brothers.

Ok so it's about work. I currently work Tuesday through Friday 8 hours a day as a graphic designer. I don't make a lot of money 750 a week but the Monday off is sweet.

The problem is that it is very high stress while I am there. I have been there for 7 years now and I think I am at the end of my rope. My boss has let this lady come in who for the last three years has kind of been running the company and she is awful. Everyone can't stand here. She has no experience and has somehow conned the boss who is kind of nieve into letting her run things. She is the type of person that will make a mistake and then blame it you, or whomever she can try to pin it on.

It's has gotton to the point that I have had to make her sign off on every job request and even at that when I can prove to the boss it was her mistake he does nothing about it. Everyone thinks he is fooling around with her.

The point is is that it is becoming a bad place to work. I don't have anything else lined up but that never stopped me before. When I want to leave a place I gave my 2 weeks and left and it always seemed to work out.

My question is what would you guys do in that situation.

Thanks in advance for your much needed advice as I am really getting sick over this and am about to put in my two weeks notice.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is very similar to what happened to me in my previous position. I was the academic scheduler at my university, I did this job alone. Someone did a study and some schools have two and three people doing this. After the study was completed, the data showed I handled many more students per scheduler than anyone else in the state university system. I attempted to use this information to get a modest raise. I took it to my boss who then took it to her boss. Her boss shot it down. Somehow, and it honestly wasnt me, this study got to the Associate Provost of the university who told my boss's boss to "take care of me" and he deemed that I tried to go over his head. He then made a point to try and blame me for anything and everything that went wrong regardless of the issue. I ultimately left and he has since hired two people to take over my previous responsibilities, fuck that guy.

Needless to say do what you feel is right but I couldnt risk leaving without having a backup plan.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the absolute very least, I'd have a part-time job in the bag before I quit my main source of income.
Being out of work sucks, but being in a toxic workplace also sucks.

feel bad for ya, but from the little bit I know about you, I know you'll find a fit or something better soon. Just start hammering the job trail.

Still wouldn't quit til I had something solid as backup tho

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Tru and Smo......................plus, I just don't think I could work somewhere where they won't let me stand................

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the absolute very least, I'd have a part-time job in the bag before I quit my main source of income.
Being out of work sucks, but being in a toxic workplace also sucks.

feel bad for ya, but from the little bit I know about you, I know you'll find a fit or something better soon. Just start hammering the job trail.

Still wouldn't quit til I had something solid as backup tho
This exactly. You have to have income

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Foot why can’t u respond to trades? U @MilkSpiller22 and ram r tough guys to
Deal
With

I start looking for new jobs, it’s not worth sty8
Sorry sp. I only have my fantrax league set up on my home computer. So it's hard to respond but if I see a deal I like I jump like a tiger. So if you sent me an offer which I see all offers by the way. If you send me an offer and don't get a response in 24 hours it means I was into it but forgot to reject when I got home. And I saw your offer just forgot to reject it

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come in early tomorrow and shit in her coffee cup. See where it goes from there.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foot, I can say this from personal experience. I held basically the same supervisory job in the fire department over 3 engineers for more years than I care to talk about. Went through several bosses, some I liked, others I really didn't, but it seemed most of them actually gave a crap about me and the department - until the last. I struggled under him, he added union fire inspection personnel to my scope (which I had no experience dealing with - and at KSC fire service 'inspectors' were basically the trouble-makers who couldn't cut it as firemen). It was very clear that he certainly didn't care about me, and from the support I got, my department either. After months of soul-searching I finally made up my mind that I needed a showdown with him and even prepared a resignation letter and took it with me. That meeting went just as I figured it would - so that day, I begin a search for basically anything to get me out of there. Lo and behold the search ended the same day it started with a conversation with the Director of design engineering. Ended up with a raise, no supervisory responsibilities (or those headaches), still worked in the field I loved and finished out my career 'happy as a clam'.
The bottom-line IMO is if you are unhappy then make a move, but I'd look before leaping - chances are you'll do better, feel better and ask yourself the same thing I did "Why the hell did I wait so long to do this?".

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come in early tomorrow and shit in her coffee cup. See where it goes from there.
I just want to go I'm there and say, "see you later" I know they need me bad. At least that's how I feel. I do so much for them that they don't see that I honestly feel 100 percent confident that if I put in my two weeks notice that they would do anything to keep me on. If you guys knew this would you call their bluff and do it with the hopes they offer you more money to stay and so you could see what the boss really thinks of you?

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it worked out for the best for me, as stated above. But be fully prepared for the opposite reaction. ... if the little head is doing the thinking. ...

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to go I'm there and say, "see you later" I know they need me bad. At least that's how I feel. I do so much for them that they don't see that I honestly feel 100 percent confident that if I put in my two weeks notice that they would do anything to keep me on. If you guys knew this would you call their bluff and do it with the hopes they offer you more money to stay and so you could see what the boss really thinks of you?
Dude, you gonna want to think that over a bit more IMHO.............they prolly do need you but in a management position an ultimatum is a hard pill to swallow.................so if you go in and tell them see ya, it just may well be that. Yer in a good enough position to look while you still work there (Monday's are a good day to look fer a job, right?).

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foot, I can say this from personal experience. I held basically the same supervisory job in the fire department over 3 engineers for more years than I care to talk about. Went through several bosses, some I liked, others I really didn't, but it seemed most of them actually gave a crap about me and the department - until the last. I struggled under him, he added union fire inspection personnel to my scope (which I had no experience dealing with - and at KSC fire service 'inspectors' were basically the trouble-makers who couldn't cut it as firemen). It was very clear that he certainly didn't care about me, and from the support I got, my department either. After months of soul-searching I finally made up my mind that I needed a showdown with him and even prepared a resignation letter and took it with me. That meeting went just as I figured it would - so that day, I begin a search for basically anything to get me out of there. Lo and behold the search ended the same day it started with a conversation with the Director of design engineering. Ended up with a raise, no supervisory responsibilities (or those headaches), still worked in the field I loved and finished out my career 'happy as a clam'.
The bottom-line IMO is if you are unhappy then make a move, but I'd look before leaping - chances are you'll do better, feel better and ask yourself the same thing I did "Why the hell did I wait so long to do this?".

Looks like @Bandit and I have another thing in common besides our love of fantasy!

my dad was a firefighter for over 20yrs, retired early due to the political atmosphere in the dept.
new chief, lots of pressure to do the "buddy" thing when making decisions instead of doing what's right (which isn't my dad's style).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd get something lined up before I'd do that. You don't want to be bluffing, it might get called. Besides the real issue is the lady in charge and would they can her? More likely, if they really want to keep you they offer you a raise but keep her on and you'll still be unhappy. Start networking and see what you can come up with before you decide on any thing IMO.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys I value all of your opinions so greatly that I have a personal question I need some advice on from my like minded brothers.

Ok so it's about work. I currently work Tuesday through Friday 8 hours a day as a graphic designer. I don't make a lot of money 750 a week but the Monday off is sweet.

The problem is that it is very high stress while I am there. I have been there for 7 years now and I think I am at the end of my rope. My boss has let this lady come in who for the last three years has kind of been running the company and she is awful. Everyone can't stand here. She has no experience and has somehow conned the boss who is kind of nieve into letting her run things. She is the type of person that will make a mistake and then blame it you, or whomever she can try to pin it on.

It's has gotton to the point that I have had to make her sign off on every job request and even at that when I can prove to the boss it was her mistake he does nothing about it. Everyone thinks he is fooling around with her.

The point is is that it is becoming a bad place to work. I don't have anything else lined up but that never stopped me before. When I want to leave a place I gave my 2 weeks and left and it always seemed to work out.

My question is what would you guys do in that situation.

Thanks in advance for your much needed advice as I am really getting sick over this and am about to put in my two weeks notice.

Personally I would bite my tongue for another week or so until I know the job market. Start putting feelers out and learn what your options are before you make a move putting you job on the line. Perhaps the market price for your work is more than you are making now or there are no similar work needed. Have a Plan B.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like @Bandit and I have another thing in common besides our love of fantasy!

my dad was a firefighter for over 20yrs, retired early due to the political atmosphere in the dept.
new chief, lots of pressure to do the "buddy" thing when making decisions instead of doing what's right (which isn't my dad's style).

Small world. I started as a firefighter but back then it didn't pay for crap. First son, had to get a second job to support the family. Second (the Bandit) had to get a third job. After 7-1/2yrs moved on to KSC with 'fire' in my blood, so it was plans review, testing and troubleshoot alarm and suppression systems in FD (got my BS degree) then on to designing the same systems as a designer. .... IMO - very, very interesting field.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick, there's been some good advice offered already. Especially about a backup plan.

You may want to schedule a one-on-one meeting with your boss (the lady).
Scheduling a meeting will show that this is "planned" and and not a spur of the moment emotional outburst.
Regardless of how awkward it may be, be honest with her.
Share what you like about the company and try to share something positive about her, even if it's merely to say that she seems to get the most from the employees for the good of the company.
i.e. the "team" idea..
Respectfully tell her that this environment is having a negative affect on you which impacts the company.

I've had to have a few of these myself over the years.
They aren't fun and they don't always go well.
But as far as I can remember, the situation changed shortly thereafter for the better.
And I've never had to quit a job.
(But there were a couple of transfers and lateral moves.)

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's why I love you guys. But that was not the answer I was hoping for lol. You guys are right. Basically I am the whole graphic department and I service 8 buildings in our company. I am the only designer there and I know that another designer could not come in and pick up where I left off because there is just way to much to that the designer would need to know. In fact I would probably need at least a month just to train an all ready experiences designer how things run there. I guess I'm in a power situation but I am so sick of this lady so is everyone who works there and there are about 200 employees. You guys are all correct but man was I wishing one of you guys would have agreed with me cause it would feel so good to say see ya and then watch as they finally realize how much I do for them and how much their customers depend on me.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting my own search as well, the boss has gone batshit crazy, and it ain't worth the stress. Definitely a good market for job seekers that already have training, skills and experience. Lots of open doors when they don't have to train you